PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island Lens

DDOE
21st August 2008, 10:00 AM
Hi all. Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading this forum for the past few weeks.

Now, for the thread. Looking at some peoples lenses list is quite mind boggling to a newby like me! So it made me wonder: If you could take just one lens with you to a desert island, which would you take? It doesn't have to be one you already own, and it doesn't matter about the cost. You can have whatever accessories you want (extention tubes, teleconverters etc).

So, what would you take, and why?

HughofBardfield
21st August 2008, 10:14 AM
If I was really being marooned, I'd probably go for either the Sigma 105mm Macro I own, or the 150mm version. There'd be enormous opportunities for macro photography (don't own the EX-25 yet, but that would help). I don't do enough macro (not enough patience) and this would be an opportunity to put that right.

The lens is also just about long enough for birds and animals, especially with the EC-14 or EC-20. 105mm is a bit long for a portrait lens, but the extra FL would help to separate Person Friday from the leafy tropical background for those candid cooking and housework shots...

I would say the 11-22 or 7-14, but I think sunsets / sunrises over the ocean would get a bit boring after a while...

Oh, and can I have a copy of Photoshop CS so I can actually get around to learning how to use it, please? :)

StephenL
21st August 2008, 11:00 AM
No doubt about it, my 7-14. Maybe with the EC-14 just to give it a bit of length.

snaarman
21st August 2008, 11:02 AM
Good thread!

Option 1: My excellent 11-22mm with a 2X converter

This would give me 44mm to 88mm in the old money

Option2: My 50mm macro and a 2x converter.

Macro, portrait, short tele. Very sharp.

Pete

PS, If olympus come out with a 9-90mm f2.8 for £350 then I reserve my right to change my mind

Wreckdiver
21st August 2008, 11:53 AM
Definitely the 7-14mm for all those fantastic white beach wide angle shots.

Steve

Who's_E
21st August 2008, 12:07 PM
Hmmm, a difficult one.

I take Hugh's point about the patience required for the Sigma 105mm. However, I have decided that, like last Sunday, it might be too windy for macro :)

Thus I will take the 8mm and enjoy scenic shots, close-ups with interesting angles and bendy palm trees.

Nick

hgranlie
14th November 2008, 11:16 AM
In the old film days I used Nikkor 35 mm. 2,0, 24 mm 2,8 and Nikkor 105 mm. 2,5. So for my Oly 510 I am planning for the 12-60 mm. which in one lens covers more than was my entire eqipment in those days!. (a little slower, but in those days the max ISO was really some 400 or even less). It will cover some 90 % of my needs, the last 10 % if I go into longer telephoto - in that case I now have the 40-150 and am considering the 70-300 mm.
But with he 12-60 mm. I would not REALLY need any more - so off to desert island with that!
Hans Granlie

Jim Ford
14th November 2008, 11:31 AM
It has to be the 12-60mm, which will do near macro at a pinch. It's such a versatile lens! The EC-14 will give it a bit extra reach when needed.

Jim

Nick Temple-Fry
14th November 2008, 12:44 PM
The 50-200, a very flexible lens plus the EC 1.4.

That's insect animals, plants etc covered as well as passing ships and distant gorillas (don't know why that would be there)

Nick

davidh
14th November 2008, 01:16 PM
i have to agree with Nick the 50-200 plus 1.4 tc is becoming my favourite combination

Dave

Steve Lane
14th November 2008, 01:57 PM
It would probably be the 11-22. Good enough for those big sky wideangle shots at the 11mm end and the 22mm end allows for pictures that require a more natural perspective. Then there are all those inbetween focal lengths of course!

Cheers, Steve

DekHog
14th November 2008, 06:12 PM
Probably the Olympus 35-100mm - nice bokeh on seashells, coconuts, palm leaves, etc. Plus you could use it to batter assorted wildlife (including fish) to death to eat for your supper... :D

shenstone
14th November 2008, 06:39 PM
The 11-22 would be the one for desert islands.

Of course if it was a tropical island then I'd want to something longer and I think the 50-200 would be the beast (real jungle would be too dark for the 70-300)

If it was a temperate island with a varied view then maybe the 12-60

Can you arrange for me to know the type of island before you strand me please...

Regards
Andy
(Indecisive of Cardiff)

Chillimonster
14th November 2008, 06:43 PM
Probably the Olympus 35-100mm - nice bokeh on seashells, coconuts, palm leaves, etc. Plus you could use it to batter assorted wildlife (including fish) to death to eat for your supper... :D

Certainly could :p

For me it would either have to be the 35-100mm, plus it would help to keep you fit carrying it around (i presume there would be no gym's on this hypothetical island ;) )

grumpy69
16th November 2008, 06:12 AM
Would this island have a Burger king on it as I get hungry :D I would take a 50-500 sigma so I could catch all the colourfull birds, the featheres ones :D

Makonde
16th November 2008, 04:55 PM
One lens - no doubt about it. The versatility and ability of the 12-60mm has to make it - is making it, for me - the all-purpose lens par excellence. I wouldn't want to limit myself to just one (wide angle) or two (telephoto and macro) types of shot; I wouldn't want to lug anything bulkier round the desert island.

If we're allowed a converter, so much the better. I'd go for the 1.4 and that would give me telephoto capability up to about 170mm in 35mm equivalent.

It's a fantastic lens and excellent for shots of dusky maidens in grass skirts