View Full Version : Focus on Imaging is no more

Ian
31st May 2013, 10:58 AM
Shock news? Focus on Imaging has been axed after 24 years:

http://dpnow.com/9204.html

Ian

Ian
31st May 2013, 11:05 AM
So you we won't all be debating whether or not Olympus will be at next year's show :(

Ian

Invicta
31st May 2013, 11:16 AM
Sad news,

I used to enjoy visiting Focus: see the new gear, pick up the odd bargain, learn some new stuff, see what the pros are doing, meet up with people.

Wonder why the owner is not looking to sell and has just stopped the show instead.

Ian
31st May 2013, 11:25 AM
Maybe Mary Walker has tried to sell the show but had no takers?

Ian

Zuiko
31st May 2013, 11:30 AM
Has she tried to sell the show behind the scenes but not met with any enthusiasm? It could be another sad indication that face-to-face retail is collapsing under pressure from Internet sales. Of course, if she is not selling for entirely different reasons and there is still a demand, there is nothing stopping anyone else from starting their own show and just call it something other than Focus On Imaging. An opportunity for expansion into a different area by The Write Technology, perhaps? :D

Zuiko
31st May 2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe a new show could alternate between London, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow?

DerekC
31st May 2013, 11:49 AM
After a gap of a few years I started attending the show again. I found the show to interesting and informative, not going with the intention of purchasing I usually came away with something. The show will be missed.

Graham_of_Rainham
31st May 2013, 11:50 AM
I think the current "Road Show" that Olympus are doing with the New PEN, is the way to go. It brings people back into the high street stores and with the right incentives could add to sales.

The big shows were becoming a tired format. However Olympus did well at the SWPP Convention, earlier this year, in presenting the products in an interesting and different way to the others.

The "Playground" in Berlin was inspired thinking and similar things to showcase new and existing products would do well in the UK.

*chr

brianvickers
31st May 2013, 12:31 PM
What a shame!
Years ago there used to be small exhibitions using hotel facilities, I used to go to the one in Shrewsbury when I lived there....maybe a smaller and accessible format would be better now. As consumers we'd rather use the Internet to review and buy rather than go to our own High Street....so no surprise that we don't want to trek across the country to an exhibition.

Phill D
1st June 2013, 05:03 AM
I'll miss it too. I've been with my mate Barney for the last 6 or 7 years and it had become a regular day out for us that was anticipated months in advance. I must admit to being more and more disappointed in recent years as the manufacturers dropped out. It was great to be able to move from stand to stand and just compare the various offerings in one place even without the intention to buy. The highlight for me in recent years was the launch of the OMD. That was a really good show if you were an Oly fan. The Olympus reps were fantastically helpful knowledgeable and really interesting to talk to. They were busy but were willing to just chat too. A real shame in my mind that the show has gone. I hope something else comes along to take its place.

Anne
1st June 2013, 06:12 AM
Sad news. That was such a good day out; a chance to meet up with friends, see what was new and a spot of retail therapy as well. What more could you want!

Imageryone
1st June 2013, 01:50 PM
It is just another example of the contempt of big business for the paying customer.
As more and more manufacturers feel that buyers do not NEED to feel, try and discuss their products, they have boycotted the show, and I feel so sorry for Mary and her team who worked so hard to make it such an enjoyable highlight of the year.
I do not blame her for not selling, why should some corporate giant use her brainchild to plug their own product, which would certainly be the future.
It is a sad reflection that all the personal expertise is rapidly disappearing from Photography, as the gimmick digital camera removes any need for skill at all.
Why do you need an expert to teach you to pan properly, expose properly, focus properly, catch action with ONE shot, when the camera does most of it and the computer the rest?

R.I.P Focus on Imageing, and thanks for many years of informative pleasure.

David M
1st June 2013, 02:12 PM
As focus started as a trade show for pros I suspect it wasn't paying in those days so they turned it into a public show.

Some of the early exhibitors probably left at that point and others could have been confused as to the way the show was going. Given the costs involved having a stand at those sort of events I'm not surprised it's no more.