PDA

View Full Version : E-PL5 tempted

brianvickers
30th May 2013, 10:29 AM
I'm tempted to replace my E-P1 with an E-PL5.......what will I miss from the Pen if I change to the Lite version.....would you recommend it?

StephenL
30th May 2013, 10:31 AM
Not sure what you'll miss, but you will gain the E-M5 sensor. Must be worth the change?

gregles
30th May 2013, 11:13 AM
I am loving the epl5 Brian - I moved from the E30 and all I can say is WOWWWW*yes*yes*yes*yes

pvasc
30th May 2013, 11:30 AM
Didn't have the E-P1 so I can't say what you'll miss. The E-PL5 is a worthy upgrade, but wouldn't you want to have a look at the E-P5 first?

Flash, no on board flash, you might miss that if you use the VF-2/3/4.

vchaney
30th May 2013, 11:47 AM
The only thing is the thumb wheel, the epl5 is an upgrade in every other way. The controls on the epl5 are pretty easy to get to grip with.

Hope that helps.

Peter_Hartland
30th May 2013, 12:04 PM
I am seriously considering the EPL5 for a 2nd body for my OM-D having now played with one. The higher shutter speed can be useful, but the better back screen being thinner & higher resolution is a bonus also. I would need to buy the evf for most stuff. They also say the battery life is better by about 20% (my biggest gripe about the OM-D) but still not that good.
As a guy with big hands I found the camera not to bad to hold, but with no separate grip would make on. This based on a 2nd body, for out & about stuff ticks all the right boxes.

OlyPaul
30th May 2013, 12:14 PM
I love my E-PL5, I really should put my E-PL3 for sale as it gets little use now.:)

Graham_of_Rainham
30th May 2013, 12:25 PM
I really like the E-PL5 it's ideal:

I can get the E-PL5 & VF-2, 9-18, 14-42, 40-150 and the FL-36 with a few extras in a Lowepro 160 AW.

Super walkabout CSC.

yorky
30th May 2013, 12:38 PM
I changed from an E5 with many lenses to the EP L5 and have no regrets. Its a wonderful light camera which does just about everything the E5 could do-better. I would recomend an electronic viewfinder which makes so very versitile. I like the touch screen as well which is very useful.
After a couple of weeks I found a big box and put all my E5 Kit in it with the exception of the 35 macro lens-rang Ffords who sent a van to pick it all up and most of the items have sold with me having over £1000 ound sent so far.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelsy

brianvickers
30th May 2013, 12:50 PM
For me it would be a second body to my E-M5, I don't think I would invest in an EVF as Id take the E-M5 in the situations where I might need it. My biggest gripe with the E-P1 is the slow focus and low res screen which can be difficult to focus with, especially in bright light. It produces nice images though ....at least until I compare them with the E-M5.
Thanks for your feedback everyone - it seems everyone is an advocate for the E -PL5 including all reviews I've read elsewhere. I will get my order in tonight - a nice black version I think!
Anyone want an E-p1 body?

Ulfric M Douglas
30th May 2013, 01:54 PM
Already owning an e-M5 I do not see any point in you buying an e-pL5 to go with it.
Keep the e-P1 for the Jpeg colours and ISO100, and the look and feel of it as an object.
If you only use RAW then sure, sell it but replace it with a Panasonic that does different stuff to your e-M5 ... a cheap GX1 or a G5 maybe.

cariadus
30th May 2013, 02:06 PM
I've often thought about getting an E-PL5 to go alongside my E-M5, but then when I take the grips off and put on the 20mm the E-M5 just about fits into a jacket or coat pocket anyway, so I'm not sure I'd really gain anything other than a higher shutter speed and more flexible screen.

brianvickers
30th May 2013, 03:16 PM
Doh!
I almost made a decision then.
I love the ep1 no lumps or bumps makes it easier to pocket......the 17mm f2.8 lets iit down ...especially as mine has a damaged front element....so I've been using the 12 and 45 with it, but that makes it bigger.
I agree there is no great difference in size ref the E-M5 which I'm reluctant to put in my pocket or unprotected in my work or cycling bag.
Maybe I just need a good pancake lens to use with the e-p1 and not worry about the odd occasion when focussing is an issue, back to the drawing board me thinks

cariadus
30th May 2013, 03:26 PM
Doh!
I almost made a decision then.

Oops, sorry about that!

brianvickers
30th May 2013, 03:30 PM
No problem...I've been kicking this around for some time....it's good to get another view....if I ask my wife she always concludes with the cheapest option, and on the odd occasion she goes for the more expensive option I get cold feet and decide the dyson needs replacing first.....I'm a bit crap at decision making!

OM USer
30th May 2013, 06:00 PM
I occassionally kick around the idea of having a small PEN with a pancake lens for those "pocket" occassions, as a backup, and perhaps with an underwater housing for diving (methinks the E-M5 a bit pricey for this sort of work). Maybe when I see one at right price.

timg
30th May 2013, 08:42 PM
I'd definitely try handling one first, I've played with the EPL3 before and didn't feel comfortable with it but I feel really at home with the EP3... the location of the buttons just seems to click with me.

brianvickers
31st May 2013, 08:21 PM
Back on the fence now....I think I'm attached to the E-P1!

gregles
31st May 2013, 08:47 PM
Buy the EPL5 - it is awesome:D

gregles
31st May 2013, 08:51 PM
I was out tonight with just a light jacket and carried the epl5 with the 14-42, 40-150 and 45mm lenses. A spare battery and a big stopper filter, all in two pockets Also had my phone and my ipod for some sounds man:D

The only pain in the bum was the tripod which I never used.

Travelled light and loved it*yes

brianvickers
13th June 2013, 05:14 PM
On page 4 of the June Olympus magazine there is an offer advertised for a free pancake lens when you buy an E-Pl5...but the link just goes to the OM-D offers....does anyone know any more details?
The £400 body only is a great price if the 17mm pancake come free!

OM USer
13th June 2013, 06:56 PM
....does anyone know any more details?
The £400 body only is a great price if the 17mm pancake come free!

The picture is the 17mm/f2.8 (Amazon prices are £240 silver, £260 black) and I don't think Olympus has any other pancake lenses (pity the 17mm/f1.8 is not counted as a pancake). Still, makes the body only price very reasonable.

brianvickers
13th June 2013, 07:30 PM
I have tweeted to Mark Thackara for clarification.....could it be the lens cap lens?
The date says from 15.6.13 so maybe more info then....credit card ready!

yorky
14th June 2013, 08:36 AM
He who hesitates has lost, Bite the bullet you won't regret it.

OlyPaul
14th June 2013, 08:49 AM
I have tweeted to Mark Thackara for clarification.....could it be the lens cap lens?
The date says from 15.6.13 so maybe more info then....credit card ready!

It could be because the E-PL6 is due soon, LR5 already supports the E-PL6!

timg
14th June 2013, 08:57 AM
It could be because the E-PL6 is due soon, LR5 already supports the E-PL6!

I thought the EPL6 was going to be a special release for the Japanese market?

brianvickers
14th June 2013, 01:41 PM
Its also advertised in Amateur Photographer E-PL5 with 17mm thats a £600 combination for £400 if you buy the body on its own.

brianvickers
15th June 2013, 11:55 AM
The 17mm f2.8 lens offer is confirmed....from today for 3 months when buying an E-PL5 or E-PM2......now looking for the best E-PL5 body deal!

http://olympusuk.sales-promotions.com

Ulfric M Douglas
15th June 2013, 06:31 PM
I just checked that offer, looks good.
Olympus are making it quite unclear though, I checked the drop-down list in the middle of the claim form to confirm what bodies are involved.
A black 17mm to go with my excellent silver one is tempting, especially since the e-pM2 performed so well in my in-shop test the other day.

brianvickers
15th June 2013, 07:33 PM
The problem is now finding an E-Pl5 body....I can't find one anywhere Jessops, Wex, Park SRS....except for a white one .....I don't want to have to buy a 14-42 in a kit just to get this offer as it costs £100 more.

pvasc
15th June 2013, 08:51 PM
The problem is now finding an E-Pl5 body....I can't find one anywhere Jessops, Wex, Park SRS....except for a white one .....I don't want to have to buy a 14-42 in a kit just to get this offer as it costs 100 more.
SRS should split the kit, I think. Bought my PL5 from them, (in store and that maybe the difference), and they split the body right out of the kit in front of me, well actually they just took the lens out, same thing. Couldn't hurt to ask them if they would.

brianvickers
15th June 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks....just checked their web site again and they now list the body separately...so I've ordered a black body. Their site also confirms the 17mm lens offer so should be straightforward.....smashing - a nice small compact body with a pancake (for £400) - just what I wanted!
Thanks for your comments everyone!

pdk42
17th June 2013, 10:16 PM
I've not used one myself, but the 17/2.8 doesn't have a great reputation. Personally, I'd go for the E-PL5 (which I do have and it's superb) and a Pany 14/2.5 (had one and sold it since I have a 9-18 and a 17/1.8). The Pany 14 is really small and delivers great IQ. A used one will set you back less than a £100.

brianvickers
18th June 2013, 06:07 AM
I have a damaged 17 f2.8 silver...which is badly scratched on the front element - produces bad flare in some instances but otherwise ok.
I'm going to claim the free 17mm f 2.8 black version via the current Olympus promotion to go with the black E-PL5 just ordered as a super stealth small and pocketable combination for street and to carry in my work bag.
Its not super sharp but its good enough...it wont compare to the 12, 45 or 75....but its the picture I'm after not inscrutable IQ. Thanks for the suggestion of the Pany 14....might be room in the bag for one someday.

Ulfric M Douglas
18th June 2013, 03:09 PM
Brian can you tot up the cost including postage of your e-pL5?
I might convince myself ...

brianvickers
18th June 2013, 03:35 PM
The e-pl5 and postage is £406.00 from SRS.
Then the 17mm f2.8 is free from Olympus worth £200 on the high street or £120 from ebay...as I needed (really needed) a new pancake that makes it a really good deal.

brianvickers
18th June 2013, 03:40 PM
Brian can you tot up the cost including postage of your e-pL5?
I might convince myself ...

I've been monitoring the price of the 17mm on ebay - they normally sell for around 110 - 120....so you could get one using the Olympus promotion and sell it on ebay and that makes your e-pl5 just 286.00 - a bargain for e-m5 output!

Glee
18th June 2013, 05:17 PM
I'm tempted to replace my E-P1 with an E-PL5.......what will I miss from the Pen if I change to the Lite version.....would you recommend it?

I did the same thing, passed on my ep1 to a mate who was broke, and got the epl5. Much as I loved the camera, I bought an EP3 a few months ago.

My gripes with the EPL5 are with the handling and physical size. I am not a fan of menus and sub menus and the EP3 and EP1 are much better endowed with buttons for most things. I also felt the EPL5 was a bit small in the hand.

I wish I had not bought in some ways but like it too much to sell, I keep the Panasonic 14mm 2.8 on it and use it for street work and landscape etc.

Hope that is of some assistance

brianvickers
19th June 2013, 09:36 PM
I've just received my E-Pl5...got the menu settings done, battery on charge, sent my lens promotion claim in....just need a screen protector and I'm in business!

IainMacD
19th June 2013, 09:38 PM
Lucky you Brian - enjoy!
...and don't forget to let us see what it can do.

brianvickers
20th June 2013, 06:40 AM
Cheers Iain,
I will try to post some images later. I'm very impressed with the appearance of the camera itself, very solid and good looking. The image on the LCD looks very over saturated compared with the E-M5, even with warm colours off and Natural mode selected. Must play with the menu a bit more....please let me know if you know how to get the LCD set up.

pvasc
20th June 2013, 07:53 AM
Cheers Iain,
I will try to post some images later. I'm very impressed with the appearance of the camera itself, very solid and good looking. The image on the LCD looks very over saturated compared with the E-M5, even with warm colours off and Natural mode selected. Must play with the menu a bit more....please let me know if you know how to get the LCD set up.

Menu->Wrench-> 3rd one down does Color temp, Brightness and a choice between vivid and natural color modes, default on mine was vivid,you change it with the info button.

brianvickers
20th June 2013, 08:09 AM
Menu->Wrench-> 3rd one down does Color temp, Brightness and a choice between vivid and natural color modes, default on mine was vivid,you change it with the info button.

PVASC....many thanks ...sorted! Looks natural now!
(I didn't like the Vivid setting!)
Brian

pvasc
20th June 2013, 09:06 AM
You are welcome. I didn't like it either. On must be the factory setting, like the "keep warm color".

pvasc
20th June 2013, 09:12 AM
I would suggest the MCG-2 grip for it. Really makes it nice to hold.

Ulfric M Douglas
20th June 2013, 10:48 AM
Does it have the changey-grip screw like the e-P3?

brianvickers
20th June 2013, 11:22 AM
Its raining again...can't wait any longer to compare these two cameras.
These were taken using the same 45mm lens, ISO400 f2.8 in Aperture Priority - on a tripod. The E-M5 is a bit warmer (AWB set on both)
The E-M5 has used 5003K and 17 tint (looks warmer) and the E-PL5 has used 5424k and tint 29 and looks cooler...a bit strange?)(data from Aperture)
But I'm liking these cameras!!!

E-PL5
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/untitled_22.jpg (http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=61863)
E-M5
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/untitled_13.jpg (http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=61862)

pvasc
20th June 2013, 12:10 PM
Does it have the changey-grip screw like the e-P3?
Yes it does.

brianvickers
20th June 2013, 01:43 PM
....I'm pleased with the new E-PL5.
Just had an email from Olympus that my 17mm free offer has been approved too.http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/untitled_.jpg (http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=61870)
Just getting ready to take some pics of my Grandson at 6 months old ....

Ulfric M Douglas
20th June 2013, 02:51 PM
Now see if you can get a MySet assigned to one of the PASM modes ... cos that's unique to the e-pL5 I think, and one of the things I'm most intrigued about.
You know, bracketing for example ... which takes a menu-digging normally.

pvasc
20th June 2013, 03:33 PM
Yes you can, sorry for butting in, but I have the camera and time.

Menu->camera 2-> bracketing, pick your choice there are tons of them. Then Menu->Gears B->Mode Dial Function-> pick your myset and mode dial spot. No menu digging after that.

brianvickers
4th July 2013, 02:43 PM
My stealth street kit completed - free 17mm pancake arrived today and added to the E-PL5 - with Olympus Pen Wrap case in the background
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/stealth.jpg (http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=62488)