PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 400 issue

Ian Grego
19th August 2008, 07:27 AM
Hello all

I am currently on a weeks photography in the Lake district from a competition won in the Olympus magazine. One of the fellow snapers has a issue with a long exposure of 60 sec on viewing this image dot are all over the place apprear to be on the sensor , all colours.

I seem to remember a thread about clearing these via the camera or I may have been dreaming

Any help will be very much appreciated

Ian

andym
19th August 2008, 07:37 AM
Hello all

I am currently on a weeks photography in the Lake district from a competition won in the Olympus magazine. One of the fellow snapers has a issue with a long exposure of 60 sec on viewing this image dot are all over the place apprear to be on the sensor , all colours.

I seem to remember a thread about clearing these via the camera or I may have been dreaming

Any help will be very much appreciated

Ian

Ian

He probably needs to turn the noise reduction on.This is not the noise filter but uses dark frame subtraction to remove the coloured dots.

Garrie
19th August 2008, 08:03 AM
Shamelessly stolen from the E400 manual

This function reduces the noise that is generated during long exposures.
When shooting night scenes, shutter speeds are slower and noise tends to
appear in images. When the shutter speed is slow, noise reduction is activated
and the camera automatically reduces noise to produce clearer images.
However, shooting time is approximately twice as long as usual.

MENU > Camera 1 menu > [NOISE REDUCTION]

[OFF]/[ON]
The noise-reduction process is activated after shooting.
The card access lamp blinks during the noise-reduction process. You cannot
take more pictures until the card access lamp goes out.
[busy] is displayed on the viewfinder while noise reduction is operating.

Hope it helps
G

photo_owl
19th August 2008, 07:31 PM
Ian

He probably needs to turn the noise reduction on.This is not the noise filter but uses dark frame subtraction to remove the coloured dots.

the good bit (here) is that the 400 doesn't have adjustable NF settings inlt menu.

NR should be on by defaut ....but on the basis that some people change settings they don't understand - turn on NR in menu; and leave it on (as already suggested by others)

crimbo
19th August 2008, 07:51 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

Ian Grego
20th August 2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks to all for the replies will pass information on

Photos will be posted in the very near future along with mor information of the stay

Thanks Ian

Yorkie
20th August 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi,

On the E510 there is a function called pixel mapping which is accessed via the "spanner 2" list.

The idea is that is re-maps the censor and caters for and disfunctional or out of calibration pixels. This could help with the effect you are seeing on a long exposure. Run it and see as it will do no harm; in fact it is recommended you run this on a regular basis. It is best to have the camera on for at least ten minutes before you run as this lets the censor get up to a good working temperature.

All the best,

Adrian.