PDA

View Full Version : An evening at Boscombe

Alpha1
24th May 2013, 11:22 AM
My camera club held an evening shoot this week with the local chapter of Bournemouth Steam Punks on Boscombe Pier, a very jolly and helpful bunch of folks:
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/5220117_Oly_.jpg

While waiting for the Punk models to appear, I spotted a bunch of Touch Beach Rugby players warming before the match, so thought I would test the E-M5's and my ability to capture action shots:
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/5220009_Oly_.jpg
No chance of panning on this one as each rugby ball was being thrown in opposite directions!

Chevvyf1
5th June 2013, 08:34 PM
Dave, what are the Steam Punks ? Theatre Actors ? Dressing up ? or Motorbikers ?

I like the first, would like to see closer images for more detail :)

brian1208
5th June 2013, 09:50 PM
Bournemouth Steam Punks on Boscombe Pier

Do you have any contact details you can share Dave, sounds like something our club should be doing (as its the Boscombe Camera Club! :D

Looks like you had a fun evening

Alpha1
6th June 2013, 04:14 PM
Steam Punks are a nationwide interest . They are a group of people of all ages who dress in Victorian Costumes of the early steam era and more often than not their garb is recognisable by a pair of period goggles, or a hint of same.

This group is the local Bournemouth chapter as we were in that area. Last year we had an outing to SS Shieldhall, the steamship now kept afloat by volunteers in Southampton Docks and the Southampton Chapter of steam punks were invited to join us.

They are a great bunch of people even though their mantra is to look severe and very Victorian! When they are "off duty" or in the bar afterwards they are good company and always eager to have photographs of themselves.

This image is of only one of about 12 punks who came to the pier that evening. The light was highly directional and contrasty, but the sea makes a very suitable background.

More info on the Steam Punk genre and their regional contacts can be found via the usual search engines. If you get stuck Brian let me know and I will get the details of your local lot from the guy at Southampton Camera Club who organised both events.

I liked the description from one of our members "Steam Punks, like Goths but wear brown", not strictly true, but it sort of fits their mantra somehow!

brian1208
6th June 2013, 04:41 PM
thanks Dave, that gives me a lead

Chevvyf1
6th June 2013, 04:45 PM
aahh Thanks for that info, Dave :) a little like the Madding Crowd of Chandlers Ford ... but MC also sing and play choral music, now they ARE QUITE EXCEPTIONAL :) to photograph, real nice people and very keen on photography - esp. if you offer them a full set of images :) gratis :D

Imageryone
6th June 2013, 04:47 PM
Like the first a lot, very atmospheric, the sea could do with a little work ? A couple of yellow buoys catch the eye, and the structure on the horizon detracts from the model?

Really like the 2nd and the way you have captured both balls in flight.

Alpha1
7th June 2013, 11:13 AM
I am amazed at your interest! To be honest this sort of stuff is not what I usually do! Wildlife is my usual "bag". However I always go for the club projects as I know that it is good to operate outside of one's comfort zone once in a while.

Due to the amount of interest here I have set up a "Steam Punk" Album on my gallery for those interested to take a look. You will see a few of the other characters and get a better idea of what Steam Punks are all about.

However this is for another charming Hampshire lady:

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1608/5220125_Oly_.jpg

Just for you Chevonne! ;)

Chevvyf1
7th June 2013, 12:54 PM
Dave :) Thank YOU ! I really did wonder about the "head wear" but now I know :) its amazing a watch case :) ... and ARGH :( a Spider ...

so its sort of, anything goes :) now thats given me a few ideas ...

Zuiko
7th June 2013, 01:33 PM
Dave, I've just viewed your other Steampunk shots in your gallery and they are fantastic. What characters! And so well photographed! Makes me want to visit a Steampunk event. :)

Chevvyf1
7th June 2013, 05:18 PM
Dave, Wow some stunning images :0 Thank You :)

Peter_Hartland
13th June 2013, 07:50 PM
Nice 3 images