PDA

View Full Version : olympus master2 software to ext.hardrive

LAWRENCE
17th August 2008, 06:14 PM
hi,has anybody moved the olympus master2,to an external hardrive,if so any do's or donts,as the files are eating into my internal harddrive,big time,probably 26gb,any pointer would be great,cheers

shenstone
17th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Laurence

You need to give some more details, I doubt the software is using a lot of space as it is not large.

Is it the ORF and resulting JPG files you are talking about ?

Is so you should not have any problems moving the files and using them from anywhere you want.

Regards
Andy

photo_owl
18th August 2008, 07:10 AM
hi,has anybody moved the olympus master2,to an external hardrive,if so any do's or donts,as the files are eating into my internal harddrive,big time,probably 26gb,any pointer would be great,cheers

as already commented there are three distinct elements here - the actual software, the downloaded image files and any output files from workflow.

I suspect I am not alone in having the first on the C drive / program files etc as usual and both the other 2 are routed to and from an external storage device (Seagate Free Agent 500gb in my case) which has worked fine since I set it up.

LAWRENCE
18th August 2008, 11:26 AM
hi,thanks for the reply,the files are mainly ORF,some old files are jpeg,all files are on the Master2,can i just drop the Master2 into the Ext Hard drive and set up a new path from the main desktop shortcut?

photo_owl
18th August 2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't have thought so

Easier to find where OM has stored your image files and transfer them to the external hard drive - then reset the program to store/transfer files there in the future (tools/options/general/default transfer destination). I have set up an Olympus Master 2 folder on the external drive and use that as my destination.

Leave the actual program where it is.

StephenL
18th August 2008, 05:17 PM
If you want to run Oly Master on your external drive, you will have to install it there so Windows Registry knows where to find it. If you just move it, it will not be able to run.

shenstone
18th August 2008, 07:07 PM
If you want to find where your largest amount of disk space is being consumed then a really useful free utility is treesize

You can get a copy here http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

This will enable you to find the folders that are being filled up with the ORF and JPG files that need to be moved.

I don't use OM so I can't say how to point that software at the new location

Regards
Andy