PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elemants 6

yorky
17th August 2008, 02:20 PM
Could anyone explain to me how do I get Elements 6 to process raw files?

snaarman
17th August 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi there:

I use Elements 5 with RAW. You will need to download the Adobe Camera Raw plugin V4 (or thereabouts). Its free and can be got from the Adobe website with some searching.

I find it fairly fast and very useful for rescuing over exposed files.. Recommended :)

Pete

OlyPaul
17th August 2008, 04:20 PM
The latest version is 4.5 and supports the E-520 and E-420 you can get it here http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Windows

yorky
17th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks, I have got that far so as to have downloaded 4.5! The thing is, what do I have to do now?

snaarman
17th August 2008, 07:07 PM
You need to save the Camera Raw.8bi in the right folder

I found mine here...

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\Import-Export

Next time you start Elements it will locate the raw plug in. Then when you go to "open file", you will see the Raw option in the file types, and if you open a raw file you should get a full screen ACR4.5 image tweaking page. After you have done your image adjustments you click the bottom right button (save image or use image or something) and you get transferred back to Elements with your image ready to do any other work you wish.

Typically my work flow is like this:
Open the raw file in Elements using the ACR4.5 window. I adjust exposure and white balance to de-clip the highlights and set the colour balance right. I then exit from ACR4.5 to elements keeping the image as 16 bits. Now I might use PT lens to tweak any lens distortions etc. Finally I convert to 8 bit mode so I can clone over eny telegraph poles (!) and save as jpeg at resolution 11 or 12

It may seem long winded, but I think the improvements in quality are worth it..

Hope this helps..

Pete

yorky
18th August 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks all, Problem now solved with your advice.