PDA

View Full Version : What can possibly go wrong?

Tordan58
15th May 2013, 12:02 PM
Hi

You may have wondered how comes that I haven't posted any pictures with the E-M5 camera I bought this winter (used, but still with guarantee).

Here is why. (I know this is a UK based forum but you may be interested in reading this. If this is not the appropriate place then ask the moderator to delete this post. )

After a few week's use I started to get black or severely underexposed frames
I reported the issue to Olympus customer support Sweden, hinting them that it was probably a sticky shutter
Initially Olympus refused my claim since I was using a non-four thirds/micro four third lens(!)
I raised the issue again being able to reproduce the issue with any lens. Now they accepted the claim.
Stripped the camera from nice accessories that came with the camera, "just in case" and sent the camera to Olympus Sweden. Camera was checked and found faulty and sent it to the repair workshop in Germany "signed for" so I could track the delivery. Heard nothing from them.
After a few weeks I got a dispatch note that a package was available for collection at the post office. Sender was Olympus Germany :)
At the post office I was handed over a damaged package, opened and hasty taped. It also felt too lightweight for containing a camera. I reported the damage and opened the package with the post office officers witnessing. The box was empty except from a service report about a shutter being replaced
I refused to accept the package and had it returned to sender.
Reported the incident to Olympus Sweden.
"If the camera was missing/stolen then we will replace it"
After a week or so I get a dispatch note, sender is Olympus Germany
Collect the item, they had sent the same broken package back to me
I raise to Olympus that it is not a matter of "if", rather "since" the camera was missing/stolen.
Next I learn that apparently there is a "negotiation" taking place between Olympus and the courier (DHL).
Several reminders...
Learned today that a new camera will be sent to me from... Czeck republic(!)
Soon 7 weeks have passed since I reported the broken shutter and sent the camera to repair.

Fingers crossed...

For the record, the person assigned my ticket at Olympus Customer Service Sweden was responsive and supportive once they accepted the guarantee claim.

/Tord

Wee man
15th May 2013, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear hope all works out for you

Benedict
15th May 2013, 01:42 PM
:) Let's hope it all works out well for you.

StephenL
15th May 2013, 02:03 PM
That would have sorely tested my patience!

Imageryone
15th May 2013, 03:13 PM
A sad, and unnecessary, tale, why is it that aftersales can be so convoluted?

Zuiko
15th May 2013, 04:56 PM
Good customer service would have been to immediately replace the camera that had gone missing in transit, then raise the issue with the carrier. You don't need to be involved in that process, it's between Olympus and the carrier.

Alpha1
16th May 2013, 08:24 AM
Good customer service would have been to immediately replace the camera that had gone missing in transit, then raise the issue with the carrier. You don't need to be involved in that process, it's between Olympus and the carrier.

Whilst I am not sure of Swedish law although I would have thought that EU laws would prevail anywhere in Europe, John's comment is absolutely correct.

The consumer should not be involved as it is an open and shut case of theft from the courier, with more than enough evidence to support your very strong case. However, vendors frequently hide behind customers ignorance of their rights and sometimes their own ignorance in these matters. A stiff letter to the CEO of Olympus Sweden might at least prompt some education in the appropriate staff areas.

Meanwhile I do hope that you receive your new camera very soon, but my advice would be to register it with Olympus Sweden as soon as you receive it to ensure that should you ever need warranty work, your claim is not rejected due to it being a "grey" import! Believe me, it happens!

Tordan58
16th May 2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks all for engagement. My intention was to share my experience and lessons learned with the forum members.

Do not mention any non-four thirds/micro four third lenses when reporting an issue with a E-system camera body
Have the camera sent to Olympus Signed For
Do not accept broken or damaged parcels in return

Swedish Law is aligned with EU directives. The thing is that the law and directive says that the settling of warranty claims should be within "reasonable" delays and does not specify a quantitative value. We also have arbitration boards that issue recommendations how to settle disputes if consumer is not satisfied with the outcome, most of the companies (but not all) follow the recommendations.

What upsets me most is that Olympus blame it on a third part, possibly involving a fourth part.

As I see it the camera was stolen either at:

Swedish Postal services, while being at the post terminal over night, after reception from DHL and prior delivery to the local post office.
DHL transit terminal (Germany or Denmark/Sweden)
Olympus Germany, handing over an opened/damaged box to DHL?

The box did not look like containing expensive goods, it was a plain ordinary brown cardboard box and there was nothing telling what it contained. Only visible information from outside was Olympus Germany as sender. The accompanying slip was still sealed.

Well... sorry for whining. I will certainly register the camera and make sure the warranty card is properly recorded and acknowledged by Olympus.

And I plan to write a letter of complaint to Olympus management.

/Tord

OM USer
16th May 2013, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope your new camera arrives soon.

Phill D
16th May 2013, 09:29 PM
Sounds to me like you deserve some additional compensation from Olympus for this disaster. Fairly substantial compensation I'd say too, they've been pretty shabby from what you've said.

Ross the fiddler
16th May 2013, 11:35 PM
Sorry to hear of what you've gone through, but I am glad I live within an hours drive from Olympus Australia & will have to use them soon if I want my cracked bezel replaced. I think I will do the delivery & pickup myself. :rolleyes:

Ulfric M Douglas
18th May 2013, 07:17 PM
Surely Olympus is only to blame for a slow response and no other blame?

In my mind the shipper (who is also a victim of the theft) is liable to replace your camera since it was (almost certainly) stolen while in their care. P.O. or DHL.
DHL : Drop it, Hoy it, Lose it.
(Hoy means throw in Geordie, from Hew and Hewk, Old english.)

Phill D
19th May 2013, 06:23 AM
I'm afraid I disagree here Ulfric. As Olympus was providing the service and the shipper was contracted by Olympus I'd have thought OLy should provide the compensation and then claim their own compensation from the shipper.

Tordan58
20th May 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm afraid I disagree here Ulfric. As Olympus was providing the service and the shipper was contracted by Olympus I'd have thought OLy should provide the compensation and then claim their own compensation from the shipper.
+1
Customer should not be involved into internal affairs and issues.

Tordan58
23rd May 2013, 02:54 PM
Here is finally the last update on this topic.

After a long wait, I received a replacement camera body today. Totally stripped from any accessory (battery, strap etc), luckily I had unmounted those (except the LCD protector) before sending for repair.

And guess what - it has changed color. Was silver, now black! I haven't checked the serial number either to find out if the LCD frame is subject to crack and should be sent to Olympus for check (I don't intend to). Oh, well...

### END ###