PDA

View Full Version : Dawn over the Gulf of Gocek

photo_owl
17th August 2008, 10:22 AM
Just back from 2 weeks cruising around between Bodrum and Fethiye in Turkey.

Despite a total disaster which left a lens back behind at home I actually ended up enjoying the challenge of only having 2 lenses to use (7-14 and new 40-150) and am looking forward to a few weeks working through the output.

However I thought I would share this image which represented the beauty of the area to the South - taken early morning from our anchorage. E3/40-150.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2770503656_51e4e52e45_o.jpg

snaarman
17th August 2008, 10:39 AM
Wow! Incredible picture... Can you post a big version in a gallery??

:-)

Pete

del
17th August 2008, 10:55 AM
really like this image .got any more?

photo_owl
17th August 2008, 12:16 PM
Wow! Incredible picture... Can you post a big version in a gallery??

:-)

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the kind words. I have uploaded a large version to here

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7625/size/big/cat/

Zuiko
17th August 2008, 12:38 PM
Amazing quality of light with those receding, pastel tones. I love it!

Wreckdiver
17th August 2008, 12:44 PM
That is some photograph *clap

Similar photographs taken by landscape photographer Guy Edwardes sprung to mind when I saw this shot; this is equally as good if not better. It could almost be a watercolour painting.

Love it.

Steve

Wreckdiver
17th August 2008, 12:53 PM
Just adding....

I think that photograph could earn a lot of money, certainly very sellable.

Steve.

shenstone
17th August 2008, 05:29 PM
To anyone reading - do yourself a favour and look at the full sized one - it's a stunner !

Regards
Andy

bully74uk
17th August 2008, 05:59 PM
A cracking shot.

Being a newbie could someone explain how the blue affect is achieved ?

Would it be processing or some kind of filter OR just very clever photography :D

Zuiko
17th August 2008, 08:58 PM
A cracking shot.

Being a newbie could someone explain how the blue affect is achieved ?

Would it be processing or some kind of filter OR just very clever photography :D

Despite the muted pink glow eminating from behind the mountains and starting to infuse the skyline in the picture, the sun had not yet risen. Therefore, the majority of light falling on the scene was reflected from the cold, blue sky overhead, hence the strong blue cast. The effect is accentuated by the mist in the atmosphere that causes the tones of the mountains to receed as they become further away from the camera, making the blue of the nearest hills appear even stronger to the eye.

No filter was needed to achieve this effect, although it's possible that photo owl may have used a pale blue correction filter or tweeked the white balance a little just to exaggerate the effect. The skill of the photographer in this instance was in getting up early to be there and recognising the very special quality of light that was available due to the remarkable natural conditions.

bully74uk
17th August 2008, 09:04 PM
Despite the muted pink glow eminating from behind the mountains and starting to infuse the skyline in the picture, the sun had not yet risen. Therefore, the majority of light falling on the scene was reflected from the cold, blue sky overhead, hence the strong blue cast. The effect is accentuated by the mist in the atmosphere that causes the tones of the mountains to receed as they become further away from the camera, making the blue of the nearest hills appear even stronger to the eye.

No filter was needed to achieve this effect, although it's possible that photo owl may have used a pale blue correction filter or tweeked the white balance a little just to exaggerate the effect. The skill of the photographer in this instance was in getting up early to be there and recognising the very special quality of light that was available due to the remarkable natural conditions.

An excellent explanation thank you *chr

Zuiko
17th August 2008, 09:20 PM
To anyone reading - do yourself a favour and look at the full sized one - it's a stunner !

Regards
Andy

I have - several times! *yes :)

photo_owl
18th August 2008, 07:02 AM
thank you all for you all for your kind words - first time I have posted an image to this particular section!

apart from the 'being there' element I used a CP filter when taking the shot to try and cut through the haze enough to give some definition to the elements. There was little in the raw conversion, and I think the key photoshop stage was in using an overlay layer to bring up what was actually there rather than a saturation boost or similar. the rest was down to the E3 and that delicious little 'kit' lens.

as for the commercial possibilities - I wouldn't know where to start. However, paraphrasing a tv advert, it will be priceless on the wall as a constant reminder of the trip; and it's calmness lends itself well to this application.

HughofBardfield
18th August 2008, 09:59 AM
Superb shot - definitely a potential "earner"!

The Judge
21st August 2008, 12:57 AM
Well well....interesting to see the people here that approve of this image. Some say it is an "earner" Some speak about it as an image to end all others. No doubt it is a lovely picture postcard job that serves purpose but is it really a good pic?

A trained and informative eye will quickly see the false colour applied here over the range of the image. There is no key element either drawing the eye in. The two mountains in the foreground are in stark contrast to the confused background. Nothing is that blue not in any light. If your camera recorded that then it is faulty. But you have informed the bench that you used a CP filter and layers.....which is poles apart from Zuikos rather over elaborate explanation of things. So what is really going on here.??

I think the truth is that if you stripped away the false colour you would end up with a pretty ordinary picture. You did well for being there at the early morning light but you tried to capture something that did not really exist. Adding things in photoshop is a great way of improving things but just like taking a picture the skill is needed in the first place if you are to venture along this route.

So a nice try, and no doubt will appeal to some. For most however it looks like a photoshop mishmash and does not hit the spot.

Zuiko
21st August 2008, 02:11 AM
Well well....interesting to see the people here that approve of this image. Some say it is an "earner" Some speak about it as an image to end all others. No doubt it is a lovely picture postcard job that serves purpose but is it really a good pic?

A trained and informative eye will quickly see the false colour applied here over the range of the image. There is no key element either drawing the eye in.

Doesn't need one, the image is strong enough in its own right. It is an oft quoted and totally false rule that a landscape image needs either a focal point or a leading line. Both these devices can be effective, but they are not essential, particularly if other elements within the scene are strong enough, as they are here. The receeding tones of the hills, for example, provide all the depth that's needed.

The two mountains in the foreground are in stark contrast to the confused background. Nothing is that blue not in any light.

If the author faked the colour he did a pretty good job. I've seen this effect myself and know that it does occur. You have obviously never been up early enough yourself to witness such an event.

If your camera recorded that then it is faulty. But you have informed the bench that you used a CP filter and layers.....which is poles apart from Zuikos rather over elaborate explanation of things.

It's true. Read it again and learn.

So what is really going on here.??

I think the truth is that if you stripped away the false colour you would end up with a pretty ordinary picture. You did well for being there at the early morning light but you tried to capture something that did not really exist. Adding things in photoshop is a great way of improving things but just like taking a picture the skill is needed in the first place if you are to venture along this route.

So a nice try, and no doubt will appeal to some. For most however it looks like a photoshop mishmash and does not hit the spot.

That statement is completely at odds with the feedback this image has already received.

If you want to know how your attitude is received on this site please refer to my thread "The Judge," started just after you went on holiday. Incidentally, I hope you had a good holiday and I look forward to seeing the pictures.....

snaarman
21st August 2008, 06:45 AM
No doubt it is a lovely picture postcard job that serves purpose but is it really a good pic?

Nothing is that blue not in any light. If your camera recorded that then it is faulty.

I think the truth is that if you stripped away the false colour you would end up with a pretty ordinary picture.

I feel a Judicial review is needed here :) While I reluctantly admit our resident judge often makes well observed points, in this case I must mount a defence of the image.

Is it really a good picture? What is a good picture?? One that people would hang on their walls, or one that wins photo competitions? I would have that one on my wall for certain. From my point of view a good picture is one I wish I had taken!

Nothing is that blue? Well nothing will look that blue to us humans with our built in real time white balance. You could look at a candle light image and say "nothing is that orange" Here is a picture I took on Provia and it is pretty much the colour on the slide. In this case there is plenty of sunrise glow to turn the blue cast purple..

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/608/dawn99.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3162)

If you stripped away... Correct: If you corrected these images back to daylight balance, there would be nothing that speaks of the chill of early dawn, thus no message in the image.

Perhaps the bench should retire and seek advice..

Pete
:)

Wreckdiver
21st August 2008, 08:52 AM
Compare the original photo with the Guy Edwardes shot I mentioned earlier: Guy Edwardes (http://www.guyedwardes.com/latestgallery.html), second thumbnail panel, second photo. A very similar shot which has no doubt earned Guy money. In front of me I have a 2007 brouchure for the Lake District "Heart of the lakes" which also features a very similar shot on the front cover (with a blue cast). It may, or may not, give a true representation of the original scene at the time it was shot but this style of photograph certainly has a value in the holiday business.

Was the original photo taken as a raw file? if so it would be worth adjusting the colour balance and white balance to remove the pink cast.

Steve

Wreckdiver
21st August 2008, 09:10 AM
I just had to have a quick tweak to remove the cast, I hope you don't mind Photo_Owl (I will remove if this is a problem).

Steve

Makonde
21st August 2008, 01:24 PM
MATTHEW 7:1 Judge ye not....

I think it's a splendid image and care not whether a particular pixel results from in-camera software from a digital sensor or in-Photoshop creativity by a human. It looks a fine interpretation to me.

Further, I think the limited tonal range and the simplicity of line and content convey very well, and without extraneous detail, the primal themes here: the grandeur; the sweep; the calm; the rosy harbinger of day, the first zephyrs stirring the water's surface; the mystery and promise - and the mist in the inlet or channel to which the eye is drawn by its brightness and by the prominent diagonals of the adjacent hills or islands. The image would not be as effective for me without the single anchored ketch to give it scale and point up the presence, and comparative insignificance, of humanity.

Haisbro
22nd August 2008, 07:31 AM
Clearly senility is effecting the judgement of our learned friend. He really ought to leave the comfort of his chamber and look at the real world. If he travelled to the turquoise coast in Turkey he would be familiar with the image that has been shown before him. Travel further to Australia there is the natural phenomenon called the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. The mountains aren't blue, but under certain atmospherics they are. Judges are ruled by evidence and facts, and not their own opinions. Never has an avtar be so inappropriate, derobe and bar him for life!

The image in question has a quality that is very marketable, i think that is the only way to judge an image, what somebody is willing to pay for its use.We can all pontificate, handing the dosh over is a real seal of approval.

David

Ian
22nd August 2008, 11:22 AM

A trained and informative eye will quickly see the false colour applied here over the range of the image. There is no key element either drawing the eye in. The two mountains in the foreground are in stark contrast to the confused background. Nothing is that blue not in any light. If your camera recorded that then it is faulty. But you have informed the bench that you used a CP filter and layers.....which is poles apart from Zuikos rather over elaborate explanation of things. So what is really going on here.??

Whether you approve of it or not, the fact is that this forum has evolved in to a pleasant place where people are polite and considerate to each other.

I'm completely against the suppression of honest criticism, but no criticism is acceptable here if it is accompanied by a haughty, patronising and disrespectful manner. We welcome constructive and helpful criticsm, not arrogant dismissal of the work posted here. The tone of the message above is NOT acceptable and if it continues there will be consequences.

Ian

HughofBardfield
22nd August 2008, 02:03 PM
Well said Ian. *yes

fulhamphil
23rd August 2008, 01:41 PM
I love these type of pictures, it is my ambition to shoot an image like this, i just don't have too much luck with the early morning light, but i will get there. Nice one, Photo Owl, regards, Phil.*chr

Chillimonster
23rd August 2008, 02:17 PM

:mad::mad:

Those that know me will know i am a man of few words so i'll make it brief (an polite-ish to avoid being banned)

Judge........ Shut up - no-one is interested in your opinions as they are based on arrogance and ignorance and from the looks of it come from a text book, rather than experience (feel free to correct me and prove otherwise here), and the majority of users no-doubt have you on there "ignore" list (as do i from this moment on)

I have yet to see a positive comment from you, and the comments you do post are rude, impolite, and sometimes downright offensive.

Chilli - signing off

tlove
23rd August 2008, 03:55 PM
Well said Chilli!

As with all the images posted to this site - if you like it, you like it, and if you don't, you don't. If you don't happen to like it you don't have to comment on it, the choice is simple as far as I can see.

I happen to like this image very much by the way :), it's quite an evocative image - I'd like to have the opportunity to take something like that.

I've said all I had to say regarding said 'judge' in the aforementioned thread elsewhere on this site, except to say one thing: take away that silly avatar, username and signature and what do you have? A saddo!! Consider yourself put on my ignore list as well m'lud!

Chillimonster
23rd August 2008, 03:58 PM
I happen to like this image very much by the way :), it's quite an evocative image - I'd like to have the opportunity to take something like that.

Oh yeah......

The image is fantastic. It reminds me of a watercolour painting with all of the subtle hues. I could imagine this as a large print on a wall.

Chris

tlove
23rd August 2008, 04:09 PM
One further brief thought here:

If the image has had some processing done to it (as claimed by you-know-who), then what's wrong with that I'd like to know?

Where does it say in the site rules that images posted must be clean, pristine and free from 'processing' or 'tweaking'?

I most certainly do a little tweaking for clarity, or a slight boost to the saturation, removal of the odd mark etc. on occasion, so own up - who can honestly say they've never done that, or used a filter etc.?

photo_owl
23rd August 2008, 07:12 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their comment, observations and kind words.

This was the first image I have posted in this particular section and I really have appreciated the time people have taken to comment - including the judge.

Personally I believe that there are only 2 types of image - those aiming to deliver as accurate representation of what the eye (their eye inevitably - as interpreted by their brain etc) saw and all the rest. Included in the latter category must be those images that aim to give any enhancement to the scene at all - even if it's intended to portray the underlying scene. Most art does this to some degree or another.

In this case I admit (and admitted early) that I used overlay in photoshop in order to enhance the underlying scene - but with it's own hues reinforced rather than a gradient tint or tone etc, or even saturation. In this the judge is absolutely right in that it wasn't 'that blue' in the raw file. However it looked amazingly blue as a scene - a feeling I set out to portray in the published image.

Following my own perverse logic I didn't remove the pink hue in the original - however I am indebted to wreckdiver for the definite enhancement such a move makes to the image as a whole. In the last print ordered (so far) I have reduced it significantly but not completely.... I may yet bring up the detail of the second ketch against the dark background. To date all the pp has been general and applied to the whole frame.

It's aimed at 20 x 8 with a title - and I am looking forward to seeing how it frames up at that size.

Thank you all once again.