PDA

View Full Version : Old Scales

Garrie
16th August 2008, 09:12 PM
Hiya all,

Hope our all having a mint weekend..

Just going through a few shots of mine. Found these old scales. I tried to give the shot an old film look.

Please comment away, Although I love my Tonemapping I'd trying to find something else as I don't want to always use HDR to get a feeling across.

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/e/scales.jpg

I was wanting to give the shot a high contrast over exposed look without being too heavy.

Cheers
G

fulhamphil
17th August 2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Garrie, i think this shot works well, i think the row of high ligted windows helps keep the focus on the scales. Do you live in some old derelict ghost town that the developers are yet to discover:D, keep the shots coming i really like your work, regards, Phil.

HughofBardfield
18th August 2008, 10:04 AM
Very nice. I like that a lot: the conversion and tone really suit it.

Malcolm Cousins
18th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Excellent. All the tones are there and it is very nicely composed. The addition of the sepia adds to the overall scene.

The Judge
18th August 2008, 12:38 PM
It is interesting to see you broaden your horizons away from the HDR technique you are acclaimed for on here. Good luck with this. Now onto the picture. I quite like the overall scene as it has the right amount of space around the main subject which conveys the sense of abandonment. The angle is pitched right and the whole composition speaks clarity. The sepia tone suits it as well so in your effort to convey the original theme you aimed for it hits the mark.

The things that do not work are the overexposure in the window area which are much over done. These areas are competing with the sepia tone and the overall conflict is not easy on the eye. I accept that was part of the plan but you might find that it would be better to match it to a different scheme if you want the over exposed look.

Finally there is something to the right of the scales in front of the platform which is slightly distracting and would ratchet up some points if removed.

Overall though 70-30 in favour and a general thumbs up.