PDA

View Full Version : Windsurfing on a Sunny Day

brian1208
10th May 2013, 11:01 AM
Yesterday gave near ideal conditions for one of my favourite pastimes, shooting the Windsurfers off our local Avon Beach.

As usual the sun was a little close to the line of sight (about 30% off to the right) and the wind was a little too Westerly for the best surf but sticking to SAF and manually tracking the action until the critical moment gave me many "keepers"

Shot using the 75-300 with a Hama Pro UV filter as protection against much salty and sandy spray (I had to keep cleaning the EFV and LCD as well as the filter every 10 shots or so and gave the whole system a wash and wipe when I got home ;) )

A couple here for your entertainment and a link to my website should you feel like a few more :)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Windurfing%20off%20Avon%20Beach%209-5-2013/P5090699-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Windurfing%20off%20Avon%20Beach%209-5-2013/P5090714-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Windurfing%20off%20Avon%20Beach%209-5-2013/P5090656-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Windurfing%20off%20Avon%20Beach%209-5-2013/P5090566-Edit.jpg

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/windsurf-action-on-avon-beach-9-5-2013-18272

wellyboot
10th May 2013, 12:57 PM
Stunning images as always Brian! Thank you for sharing, and showing what is possible in the right hands!

brian1208
10th May 2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks - its a great camera - the more I use it the better it gets! *chr

It continues to amaze me just what it is possible to do with this system (after my original doubts on moving from the Canon system) yet I continue to read elsewhere so called "Experts" telling the world its not as good as a DSLR for sport shooting. Maybe some of them should try one first? ;)

PeterBirder
10th May 2013, 01:29 PM
Fantastic shots.
A good camera in skilled hands.

Thanks for sharing.*chr

It continues to amaze me just what it is possible to do with this system (after my original doubts on moving from the Canon system) yet I continue to read elsewhere so called "Experts" telling the world its not as good as a DSLR for sport shooting. Maybe some of them should try one first? ;)

Hear hear!*yes

"Experts"*shrug

X is the unknown quantity.A spurt is a drip under pressure.:D

Regards.*chr

Chevvyf1
10th May 2013, 01:48 PM
Brian, what a terrific set of Surf images - I must get down to Avon Beach soon :)

I have to ask did you get lots of sales from you exhibition ? We bought some on my second visit with Nick :)

ps I wonder if your wife places a "coating" on her tiles, before painting ? and does she use acrylic on tiles ?

brian1208
10th May 2013, 02:12 PM
thanks folks.

Chevvy, not so much in the way of sales (although we apparently sold more than most exhibitions do).

Oooh - I'd better not show Pam your query as she paints directly on to her china and porcelain with pukka ceramic colours (like wot they do at Worcester or Wedgewood) then kiln fires them several times at over 800 deg C

ie: proper China Painting (not Painting on China like 'tother lot do)

:eek: *chr

Chevvyf1
10th May 2013, 02:25 PM
thanks folks.

Chevvy, not so much in the way of sales (although we apparently sold more than most exhibitions do).

Oooh - I'd better not show Pam your query as she paints directly on to her china and porcelain with pukka ceramic colours (like wot they do at Worcester or Wedgewood) then kiln fires them several times at over 800 deg C

ie: proper China Painting (not Painting on China like 'tother lot do)

:eek: *chr

WoWee! She does get an amazingly beautiful finish :) so thats how its done :) *chr

brian1208
10th May 2013, 02:40 PM
Yep, 35+ years experience helps too ;)

It depends to a certain extent on the quality of the ceramic, some of her very fine porcelain tiles are similar in quality to the antique Berlin porcelain plaques and give exquisite results, likewise with some of her really fine bone china which can give an amazing gloss to the painting.

Suprisingly, to me, some really expensive porcelain jugs and bowls give a quite Satin finish, but thinking about it, that matches up with some of the better Worcester porcelain pieces too

She's a bit good at china painting my little Pam (but don't tell her I said so :D )

Chevvyf1
10th May 2013, 05:11 PM

She's a bit good at china painting my little Pam (but don't tell her I said so :D )

Brian, your ol' china eh ?

The Technician
10th May 2013, 05:15 PM
Fantastic shots *yes just got the 75-300mm mk2 myself hoping to get out this weekend with it :D

brian1208
11th May 2013, 05:59 AM
show us what you get Michael

Phill D
11th May 2013, 06:40 AM
These are stunning action shots Brian was that with an OMD?
Any chance you could post some images of your wife's ceramic work too. It sounds very interesting.

Imageryone
11th May 2013, 07:54 AM
It's funny how many " experts " are sponsored by...........................
We already know how good Olmypus is, and these are a superb set to illustrate the fact , Brian.

brian1208
11th May 2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks Phil yes, shot with the EM-5

I'll try to sort out a few shots to post later but you can see some shots from the Exhibition that Chevvy mentioned here http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/paper-n-paint-at-the-red-house-museum-march-2013-17439

the central display cabinet holds her work and the 3rd and 4th images are of ceramic plaques painted by her

brian1208
11th May 2013, 09:03 AM
Phil, here are a couple of her pieces + a shot of the "Artiste at Work"

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/PB271091-Edit-2.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/P2237681-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/PB199748-Edit-Edit.jpg

Chevvyf1
11th May 2013, 09:51 AM
These are stunning action shots Brian was that with an OMD?
Any chance you could post some images of your wife's ceramic work too. It sounds very interesting.

Phill, her woek is stupendously GREAT ! I do not think I took any photos ? but will check.

My FAV is the tile housename/no. sign of two fat ladies in Beryl Cook style for her friends door "88"! awesome :) and so creative :)

brian1208
11th May 2013, 10:29 AM
88 is on the 4th Exhibition page, top right

tomphotofx
11th May 2013, 11:01 AM
Great Photos Brian just goes to show what results you can get if you know what you're doing.

I'm most impressed with the quality of your wife's china painting, fantastic detail.

Tom :)

Swordfish
11th May 2013, 11:35 AM
Brilliant action shots - those boys really look like they know what they are doing. I bet you could sell them some prints?

Martin

brian1208
11th May 2013, 01:01 PM
thanks Tom & Martin, I have sold a few as the lads usually have a look on the website to see how they have been doing.

Tom, you should see some of her competition winning stuff, some of it done with a brush with one or two hairs on.

Mind you, she has her own Studio in the garden, my 45th Wedding Anniversary present to her :)

The EM-5 + 45 f1.8 or 35-100 f2.8 makes a super tool for recording her work

tomphotofx
11th May 2013, 03:19 PM
I think you should post some more of your wife's china painting it's fantastic and I'm sure other forum members would appreciate her artistry with a brush too.

All the best.

Tom

brian1208
11th May 2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks Tom, I'm going to be away for a bit but when I get time I may well do just that.

I will also post some images of work by a friend of ours who is a professional potter, showing how well the EM-5 works to record ceramic art of varying type (it does it rather well :) )

Chevvyf1
12th May 2013, 07:36 AM

Mind you, she has her own Studio in the garden, my 45th Wedding Anniversary present to her :)

SOME MEN will go to such great lengths to get the house to themselves :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but knowing you both, WoW what a pressie :)

Phill D
12th May 2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for posting those shots of your wife's china painting, they are very impressive and a great inspiration. My sister has recently started a college course to do it in the hope she can get a job as she lives in Stoke on Trent. The industry has been pretty depressed for many years but there are a few signs of small recoveries.

Alpha1
13th May 2013, 07:50 AM
SOME MEN will go to such great lengths to get the house to themselves :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but knowing you both, WoW what a pressie :)

I remember buying Janet a set of golf clubs and subscription for the first year's membership of the local golf club once, for a Christmas pressie! She soon rumbled that I liked to go sailing all week-end with the lads though and rather curiously, she always thought that was the reason for her golf present! ;)

Zuiko
13th May 2013, 06:27 PM
Wow, Brian, you certainly have this subject down to an art form. Well worth viewing all the pictures on your site, fantastic! *chr