PDA

View Full Version : Wireless alternative to FL50R/36R

xp1
10th May 2013, 10:24 AM
I purchased two Yongnuo YN560-111 flash guns which arrived a few days ago after waiting for just over four weeks. I purchased them via ebay from China so was aware of the long delivery wait. I have to say they were well worth waiting for as well. I have set the channel to No 7 on each unit and they both work wirelessly with the E5. Below are some images of one of the units along side my FL50R. They are not TTL but that's not a problem as I have the FL50R for on camera work. I paid 45 each for them which I consider a bargain as these have only just come onto the market to replace the Yongnuo YN560-11.
For anyone looking for cheap off camera flash for the E5 then I highly suggest this unit as it is as solid as the FL50R and not quite as heavy. Details can be found on ebay but are priced at 70 each from a UK seller. Hope this thread is helpful.

xp1
10th May 2013, 10:26 AM
Here are five more comparison images.

Ian
10th May 2013, 10:26 AM
Are they TTL when fitted on the camera? Is the RC system the same as Olympus or is it just a simple slave system?

Ian

xp1
10th May 2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Ian,
No they are not TTL when fitted to the camera. I think they are a slave system. There are 16 channels available and I found channel 7 works with the E5. So far I have only tried them as slaves and on camera. I will have a go at trying to fire them with the FL50R on camera over the weekend. One thing I did try was to fire them without actually facing the camera and it worked although I had the camera held in one hand and the flash in the other. Full tech details of the unit can be found on ebay. I'm not too technical with the system so I hope the above answers your question regarding the RC system. I assume channel 7 makes it the same.

raichea
11th May 2013, 08:40 AM
Are they TTL when fitted on the camera? Is the RC system the same as Olympus or is it just a simple slave system?

Ian

I've been looking at these recently.

They act as simple slaves in the mode described - they do not understand Olympus or other brand remote signalling through the on-camera flash. The channel settings are relevant only to Yongnuo Rf-603 or RF-602 transceivers, which can be used to trigger the YN-560 III by radio. This is the main difference between the 560 III and 560 II.

Steve

xp1
13th May 2013, 08:19 AM
Having played with these over the weekend I have found that with the FL50R mounted on camera these units will fire regardless of the settings on the FL50R (RC Mode) and I suppose the same applies with the FL36R mounted on camera. I can set the FL50R to TTL and it will still fire these units though I have to set the output on them manually.
I knew before purchasing that they were not TTL and I am very pleased as I now have a complete portable lighting set up which I can add to at very little cost if needed.
They are of substantial build quality and very easy to use with a good layout of button controls. The reflection board and wide-angle diffuser are both built in to the head. Also available is an external power pack socket plus a pc port. The locking ring is quite large and not as fiddly as on the FL50R. The difference in size and weight is neglible and they come with an instruction manual in Chinese/English, flash stand and a case very similar to the Olympus case except there is no belt loop on the back.
For those who do not own the E5 (in my humble opinion) these flash units together with the Yongnuo Rf-603 or RF-602 transceivers make for a good affordable and robust off camera portable lighting system. The RF-603 is the newer of the two transceivers. To finish off it is now possible to purchase three decent flash units plus one on camera trigger for well under 200 on E-Bay.
I hope the above helps other members in some small way.

Ian
13th May 2013, 08:23 AM
I would guess that there is no metering pre-flash from the Yongnuo units so TTL metering would not be possible.

Ian

xp1
13th May 2013, 08:30 AM
I would guess that there is no metering pre-flash from the Yongnuo units so TTL metering would not be possible.

Ian

That's right. There maybe other third party units available with TTL for Olympus. They are definitely available for Canon and Nikon.

xp1
13th May 2013, 08:37 AM
A quick search on E-Bay produced this unit compatible with certain Oly and Panasonic cameras and priced just under 100 each.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-TTL-Flash-For-OLYMPUS-FL-50R-FL50R-SL40-FL-36R-/110414523672?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item19b537ed18