PDA

View Full Version : OM-D build quality

pasterw
10th May 2013, 08:20 AM
Just got my shiny new OM-D from a very nice guy here on the forum. First of all: What a great camera! What a joy to use!

But the build quality...oh boy it's all plastic, when compared to my old E-P2. Gone are the metal top and bottom plates (and also sides as it were...). I can see that the camera is much lighter that way, but it also feels rather flimsy. What's your experience with long-term durability in comparison to other PEN models?

Wolfgang

David Morison
10th May 2013, 08:35 AM
OK in terms of operation but the paint is already wearing off on the metal bits, especially the flash hot shoe.

David

brian1208
10th May 2013, 08:45 AM
Not sure about the Its all plastic" comment as its specified as

"A lightweight magnesium alloy body that is enhanced with the same dustproof and splashproof durability of the Olympus E-5 DSLR"

As to my experience with durabilty. Mine is 10+ months old, I've shot over 32,000 frames in all sorts of weather and environmental conditions (including a lot of sandy, salty water sport shooting) and its never given me a moments concern

Yes, there is a little bit of black paint rub on some of the high spots but not enough to notice unless I look for it.

It sits in a small Lowerpro Nova 180 bag with a collection of 4 lenses + other odds and sods and is treated like it is - a tool

Can't compare it to other Oly bodies but it stacks up well against my canon 5Dmk2 and 7D for robustness (against my use anyway)

So - no worries for me *chr

PeterBirder
10th May 2013, 09:11 AM
As Brian says it's very definitely made of magnesium alloy (for strength and lightness) including the top and bottom plates. If you have the all black version what you are seeing is the paint finish.

I've had mine for a year now and no problems whatsoever. Some people like David have had paint wear but not everyone.

Regards.*chr

The Technician
10th May 2013, 09:16 AM
I have had mine coming up to a year and it has been brill :-)

JonSchick
10th May 2013, 09:28 AM
Well I know I live near Peckham, Brixton and Camberwell but the metal was still there when it left me :)

StephenL
10th May 2013, 09:39 AM
I've had mine for over a year - it was one of the first in the country, I believe - and it still feels solid as a rock, and actually quite hefty for its size. Just like a well-filled crab should feel. It's performed faultlessly, and the only paint wearing off is where one of my metal strap clips has rubbed. And then only a tiny bit. No problems with cracked bezels either. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Jetset95
10th May 2013, 11:26 AM
Mine is over a year old - one user before me, survived a trip through France, Royal Mail postage and my two kids and still looks brand new. It's the best camera I've ever owned.

mike_j
10th May 2013, 01:12 PM
apart from a LCD trim crack not covered by the recall I have no problems,

pasterw
10th May 2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments, that's really reassuring. As stated earlier it's just an amazing piece of technology!

dbutch
10th May 2013, 07:29 PM
A quick ask on build quality I have been through Heathrow T3 a few times recently and they had a black OMD in there and the cover/cap of the rear control dial was missing - went through again this week and they now have a silver one as well and thats got the same cover missing?
I know cameras see a lot of abuse in these places but has any one experienced this in the wild?
From what I have seen of the new E-P5 it looks a better solution

PeterBirder
10th May 2013, 08:14 PM
A quick ask on build quality I have been through Heathrow T3 a few times recently and they had a black OMD in there and the cover/cap of the rear control dial was missing - went through again this week and they now have a silver one as well and thats got the same cover missing?
I know cameras see a lot of abuse in these places but has any one experienced this in the wild?
From what I have seen of the new E-P5 it looks a better solution

:confused: Mine just has a plain knurled knob, no cover/cap.

dbutch
10th May 2013, 08:32 PM
Pete
it isnt obvious that the wheel has a cap until you see it missing

brian1208
10th May 2013, 09:26 PM
nothing has gone missing from mine and its seen a lot of "The Wild" knocking about the countryside and on the beaches

Alpha1
11th May 2013, 08:02 AM
I have two E-M5 bodies in all black finish, carried around in a shoulder bag with 6 lenses and they are all keeping very well with no blemishes or scuffs. I usually use them for wildlife stuff with both slung around my neck together with Leica binoculars, so they get a fairly hard life!

pasterw
11th May 2013, 08:08 AM
Dave,
Which lenses are you using for wildlife. I've got the Panasonic 45-200mm and found it really useful.

Wolfgang

Alpha1
12th May 2013, 08:08 AM
Wolfgang
I use the Panasonic 100-300 mainly. It stays on one body virtually permanently!

However I do ring the changes for the other body....yesterday for instance I was using the 45mm Pana Leica DG macro (I just like this lens so much) for butterflies and a few late Fungi shots. Before that I was using it with an Oly 14-150. For scenic landscapes shots I put on the Oly 9-18.

Quite a few photographers often ask why do I need two camera bodies? The answer is because whilst for most wildlife shots I need a very long FL lens; the critters sometimes have a habit of suddenly arriving closer or even very close with no time to change lenses!

In Mexico earlier this year I was confronted by a local who commented that I didn't need two cameras so I could give one to him! :eek: I very quickly responded that I needed two for my work; amazingly he fully accepted that explanation and backed off...phew!:D

JonSchick
12th May 2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Wolfgang,

Some shots using the Lumix 100-300 and your OM-D here....

http://http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23230

http://http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23230

I like this lens rather more than the 45-200, although if I started now I'd seriously consider the mZuiko now it's come down in price. Apart from anything else, you don't need the weight penalty of lens based OIS with the Olympus body.

Cheers,

Jon

pasterw
12th May 2013, 01:02 PM
So in terms of image quality, which one is better, the zuiko or the lumix?

pdk42
12th May 2013, 02:16 PM
Well, I had he 45-200 and found it VERY soft at 200. Maybe I had a bad copy? Got the 100-300 now and much happier. Not as sharp at 300 as at shorter FLs, but completely acceptable, especially with some sharpness/contrast tweaking in PP.

pasterw
12th May 2013, 05:40 PM
Yes, I've noticed the softness at the long end also with my 45-200.

Daveart
12th May 2013, 06:26 PM
Just got my shiny new OM-D from a very nice guy here on the forum. First of all: What a great camera! What a joy to use!

But the build quality...oh boy it's all plastic, when compared to my old E-P2. Gone are the metal top and bottom plates (and also sides as it were...). I can see that the camera is much lighter that way, but it also feels rather flimsy. What's your experience with long-term durability in comparison to other PEN models?

Wolfgang

Are you talking about the same camera, because I have an EM5 black and silver and mine feels solid and heavy for its size and the only plastic bit is the door to the memory card slot which has a weather seal, and a rubberized coating on the grip every thing else is metal.

I would say the 75 300 mkII would be best for me anyway I have one its fast and sharp all the way to 300mm even wide open.
And feels very solid.

Dave

PS I would use and have done in the rain no problems, wouldnt risk that with a PEN.

Footloose1949
17th June 2013, 11:44 PM
Below is an example of how tough the OM-D is ...
Whilst on holiday, went down a ramp about 20ft long in a sports wheelchair which I soon discovered was a lot steeper (reckon it was actually about 25-30 degrees!) than I thought it was ... 3/4 of the way down, was getting friction burns on my hands, and when I reached the bottom, the footplates dug into the deck ... I fly out and land on my face; the chair, must have done a 360 degree flip because it was the right way up in front of me!

I get off the deck with the help of a passing motorcyclist; tiny scuff-mark where the OM-D hit the deck, which I've put to rights with a permanent black marker pen. Me, I havve scratched by glasses and torn the ligaments/tendons in both arms, which took 8 months to recover. Incidentally, the motorcyclist, reckoned it was the most fantastic thing he'd ever seen, and said he wished he could have videoed it ... I told him, 'Ok, I've got video on this camera, you do the same 'run' as I did, and I'll film it!' For some strange reason, he declined!
Camera kit is still working faultlessly!

Zuiko
18th June 2013, 12:24 AM
Well, thank goodness your camera was OK, but that was a nasty accident; very painful and with a long recovery time. I hope you are fully recovered now and don't do it again! :)

brian1208
18th June 2013, 06:57 AM
Ouch, glad you and camera are still (now in your case) in working order