PDA

View Full Version : 'Rattling' when turning off

DDOE
16th August 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi

I have had my 520 now for about 24 hours, and am loving learning all the features! It might take me a few years though!!

Anyway, I have noticed when I turn off the camera, that there is a rattling/ vibration from the camera. Is this normal? It sounds like something is trapped of jammed, but the camera works perfectly.

Can anybody advise me please?

Many thanks,

David

Fluffy
16th August 2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, it's absolutely normal.

One, the lens is resetting itself to its parked position.

And two, if image stabilisation is turned on, there will be a vibration as it closes itself down. If IS is on, turn it off and you'll see and feel an immediate change.

But the lens reset always happen. It's usally quicker and less noisy.

Steve

DDOE
16th August 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks for that. You're right, yesterday I didn't have IS on, and then turning it off again now has stopped. Thank godness it's normal - I thought it was broken already!

Thanks again,

David

theMusicMan
16th August 2008, 03:55 PM
You will likely want to keep IS turned on DDOE - it will help significantly.

Garrie
16th August 2008, 04:03 PM
I asked exactly the same question when I first got my 510 lol..

IS is great for handheld but I read somewhere that you can damage it by leaving it on when using a tripod, unsure how true is this..

Enjoy your camera :D

theMusicMan
16th August 2008, 04:05 PM
Hey Garrie - I don't think you can damage it if IS is used when the camera is mounted on a tripod, but the results are not as effective when used in this manner, that's all. :)

250swb
16th August 2008, 08:46 PM
Just leave IS turned on all the time for general use, it is the easiest thing to do so set it with all your other favourite options in the 'Reset 1' memory. But when you come to using a tripod it is best to have your IS switched off, so set this in the 'Reset 2' option, along with all the other things you want when the camera is on a tripod.

You cannot damage IS by either switching the camera off with IS set (the rattle is only the sensor being re-calibrated into its rest position), or using it on a tripod with it set. But, when on a tripod the IS will try to find something to do so when you press the shutter and it will momentarily 'search', and if closely viewed the images can look a bit fuzzy because of it. Likewise switch IS off if you are using very fast shutter speeds because it isn't needed and can interfere with ulitmate sharpness.

Steve

crimbo
16th August 2008, 10:47 PM
so how well does IS work for wind shake for a very long lens on a tripod?

StephenL
17th August 2008, 06:39 AM
I maintain that most tripods are not a totally steady base, and so leave IS on all the time. That's my excuse for always forgetting to switch it off!

250swb
17th August 2008, 07:30 AM

Common sense says it should work well if your tripod and lens is moving just like a photographer moves.

Steve

theMusicMan
17th August 2008, 11:20 AM
That's what IS is designed for and you will find that you can gain up to an additional 5 stops depending on which camera you have. E-510 = up to 3 stops, E-3 = up to 5 stops.

crimbo
17th August 2008, 04:24 PM
That's what IS is designed for and you will find that you can gain up to an additional 5 stops depending on which camera you have. E-510 = up to 3 stops, E-3 = up to 5 stops.

I wish you hadn't said that ;)
so when using my Meyer 300mm f4 with a 2x converter I am liable to get sharper pictures of astronomical events!

http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/LE-160808-b.jpg
(lunar eclipse 16 Aug 08)

So would that be the 520 or the 510 body then?

theMusicMan
17th August 2008, 06:22 PM
Both! :) The E-510 and E-520 have IS built in.