PDA

View Full Version : Why a CF card?

Chatterbox51
23rd April 2013, 09:58 PM
Hi Folks - what's the befefit/reason to put a CF card in as well as an SD card? Clive

Bikie John
23rd April 2013, 10:15 PM
Last time I compared, CF was noticeably faster than SD in the E-5. It might have all changed by now, though.

Ciao ... John

DerekW
24th April 2013, 01:16 PM
CF cards are harder to bend, easier to see and pick up off the floor and feel as of you have something of value - well that is why I prefer them.

Olybirder
24th April 2013, 01:34 PM
I assumed it was to allow previous owners of the E-1, E-3, E-30 etc. to use their existing CF cards if they so wished, as well as the newer SD cards. It is more of mystery to me why the E-30 also has a slot for the lacklustre XD card.

Ron

Ian
24th April 2013, 01:52 PM
If you use a UDMA CF card they will work faster than SD cards (the E-5 doesn't support SD card UHS-1), which means the buffer clears faster when shooting a lot of frames in a short period of time. I also agree they are more robust and less easy to lose than SD cards.

Ian

al_kaholik
25th April 2013, 08:18 AM
They also have their problems, the pins aren't as robust as the contacts of an SD card and they tend to be substantially more expensive. Plus they are bigger and its not a format that most modern computers/tablets easily interface with.

All that said, I've had only 1 CF failure and 2 SD and 2 micro SD

sponner
25th April 2013, 10:54 AM
The main benefit for sd cards for me is that a spare fits in the cloth pouch attached to my camera so I never arrive on location without a memory card in the camera.

As I am terminally stupid this happened all too often with cf cards !