PDA

View Full Version : Advice please! 75 - 300 versions I and II

greeng
23rd April 2013, 08:16 AM
Hello everyone,

As a regular reader, very occasional contributor, and long time 'lurker' on this forum, I know that there has already been some discussion about the updated m zuiko 75 - 300 lens, so apologies if this is repeating some aspects of recent threads. However, I have a tale to tell...

Early last week, a 'mint' version II lens was listed on ebay - the photos clearly showed the mk II lens (not stock photos, but pictures of the actual item) and the listing made it clear that it was, indeed, the mk II. The listing was only for 24 hrs and I spotted it about an hour before it was due to finish. I put in a maximum bid which I thought was reasonable, but to my amazement, no-one else placed a bid and the lens sold to me for its starting price - an incredible bargain, then, at 229.

The lens arrived yesterday - it is not a mk II, but a mk I in excellent condition. I contacted the seller, who has apologised for the 'incorrect listing' and has offered a full refund if I return the lens. Alternatively, I can keep the mk I lens for what is still an excellent price.

So - how much fuss would you make in this position? Ideally, I'd like to receive the actual mint lens that was listed (picture still shows cellophane over lens cap etc.). However, if the seller insists it was somehow listed 'in error' should I just take the mk I lens?

As per the thread title - all advice gratefully received!

OM USer
23rd April 2013, 11:23 AM
If you wanted the Mk II lens then return the Mk I, but be prepared to pay much more for the MK II just because it is newer. You could pop in to your local camera shop and see how much they would offer for it in part exchange for a new Mk II; this might be a cost effective way of getting a brand new lens.

Simon Bee
23rd April 2013, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone,

As a regular reader, very occasional contributor, and long time 'lurker' on this forum, I know that there has already been some discussion about the updated m zuiko 75 - 300 lens, so apologies if this is repeating some aspects of recent threads. However, I have a tale to tell...

Early last week, a 'mint' version II lens was listed on ebay - the photos clearly showed the mk II lens (not stock photos, but pictures of the actual item) and the listing made it clear that it was, indeed, the mk II. The listing was only for 24 hrs and I spotted it about an hour before it was due to finish. I put in a maximum bid which I thought was reasonable, but to my amazement, no-one else placed a bid and the lens sold to me for its starting price - an incredible bargain, then, at 229.

The lens arrived yesterday - it is not a mk II, but a mk I in excellent condition. I contacted the seller, who has apologised for the 'incorrect listing' and has offered a full refund if I return the lens. Alternatively, I can keep the mk I lens for what is still an excellent price.

So - how much fuss would you make in this position? Ideally, I'd like to receive the actual mint lens that was listed (picture still shows cellophane over lens cap etc.). However, if the seller insists it was somehow listed 'in error' should I just take the mk I lens?

As per the thread title - all advice gratefully received!

OK, the listing was misleading, you was expecting a MK2, but if the MK1 is in great shape that is a damn fine price you got it for.

The seller has offered to refund you which should of course include the postage for sending the lens to you ( assuming postage was not free ) and your cost for returning it to him/her. The seller will have another set of ebay fees when he/she relists and sells ..... use this to your advantage ;) .... see if they are willing to refund you 29 ( or more if you feel bold ) for your disappointment and you will keep the lens. It will be cheaper for them to do this and at 200 you will have an absolute bargain *yes ..... it is what I would do, the Mk1 is a cracker, I know .... I have one.

Regards Simon

greeng
23rd April 2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks to you both for excellent advice.

I'm certainly keeping the lens - as Simon has pointed out, it's a 'cracker' and whichever way you look at it, I certainly got a bargain. As for the incorrect item details and photos, I suppose they will just have to remain a mystery!