PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Help please - 14-140/150 zoom

Melaka
22nd April 2013, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking of getting either the Oly 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140 lens. Do any members have experience of their relative merits please?

Jetset95
22nd April 2013, 06:47 PM
I don't have any direct experience of the Panny lens, but as a new owner of a used Oly version I can recommend it. It's smaller, lighter, cheaper than the Panny version, longer zoom and on my OM-D takes great pictures. I can't show any as it was at a kids rugby festival and I don't want the CRB police on my back but the pics were great, fast to focus, beautiful colour. If you don't need the image stabilised Panny then go for the the Oly.

Andrew Riddell
22nd April 2013, 07:08 PM
I fully agree with what James said. The 14-150 is my normal walk around lens.

Andrew

Melaka
23rd April 2013, 08:16 PM
Thank you both.

Greytop
23rd April 2013, 08:48 PM
I also rate the 14-150 although I no longer have my copy, here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17817) are some examples I took with it though.

peak4
23rd April 2013, 09:06 PM
I have had the 14-140mm for a while now on the OM-D and prior to that on a couple of early PENs and have been quite pleased with it for a walkaround lens on holidays. It's quite heavy which can be a disadvantage, but I've had little problem with its performance, particularly now that DxO has modules for it.
However in an effort to reduce holiday weight, I've just picked up a second hand 14-150mm, but not really had chance to compare them yet.
It also depends on if you use filters what sizes you carry/own.
The Oly lens is 58mm compared to the Panasonic's 62mm

The intention is to just keep one of them of course, and as I don't use any Panasonic MFTs I've no real need for IS in the lens.
On the OM-D you can set In Body IS to operate with half shutter press, so that stabilises the viewfinder image with the 14-150mm. I'm not sure about the later PENs, so that could be a reason to go for the Panasonic if you have shaky hands.
I used the 14-140mm extensively last year on a Chinese excursion on E-P1 or 2 in partnership with one of the 7-14mm & 100-300mm Panasonics on the other body. I didn't have any compaints about any of them.

Olympus weighs in at 295g Panasonic 535g, both with caps, hood & filter.