PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Introduction to video using a stills camera

Ian
22nd April 2013, 05:07 PM
I have just published this article aimed at people just starting to explore the video capabilities of their stills cameras, it's on our more general Digital Photography Now site:

http://dpnow.com/9173.html

Hope you find it useful!

Ian

crimbo
22nd April 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Ian
Now since most small cameras appear to have a 30p frame rate only. And I have seen the flicker when used under artificial lighting ... Is there a way to deflicker?

Ian
22nd April 2013, 08:25 PM
Not really. The flicker happens at the time of recording and is fundamentally because of the indvisible frequencies of the recording frame rate and the alternating current frequency.

Ian

Phill D
27th April 2013, 04:58 AM
Ian I found that to be an excellent intro article and just what I was looking for. A very timely piece in my case anyway as I'm just looking to get something that will do video. What do you think is the best option to get the best video quality for your money either go for a small entry level/mid level HD camcorder (around £300 say) that would also do stills or to get a stills camera that does video?. My thought was that the dedicated video camera would obviously be best but is that the case in reality.

Jetset95
27th April 2013, 07:08 AM
Phil if you want to shoot dedicated video then a dedicated camera might be the way to go, but as film makers are now using SLR's to make full feature length movies (see Monster by Momentum Films) then a capable camera will do you just fine - something like the older Panasonic GH2 has been firmware hacked to provide some very good video CODEC, the new GH3 beats that, and DP Review gave it a gold award solely on it's video capability. The new Panny G6 just announced has the GH2 sensor and so should have the video smacks to go with it.

Personally for video of the kids and birthdays I'm very happy with the OM-D. It shoots HD in 1080i, or 720p both at 60 fps and with the newer AVCHD. Encoded into .mov files it works great for me on my iMac.

Have fun!

theMusicMan
27th April 2013, 07:25 AM
Oooh, I will have a look at this now. Thanks Ian.

davidfarquhar
19th January 2014, 08:20 PM
@Ian - have a look at my reply in another thread in this sub-forum re. using 1/50 shutter speed in video, it will sort out flicker indoors

MarkG
22nd July 2014, 06:12 AM
This is perhaps a basic question re EM5 and taking videos. I was trying to record a band playing one song last week, I pressed record, then had one finger half-depressing on the autofocus panning around the different musicians. But half way through I must have pressed it fully, and I took a picture in the middle, then had to start recording again. So I have two halves of the video I want with a gap (plus absolutely lousy sound).
How do I merge the two into one please? Is Olympus Viewer 3 able to do this, or other standard pc software?

Thank you

crimbo
22nd July 2014, 06:22 AM
As far as sound goes -get an external mic
For putting the video in to one file you need a basic editor for video
Google 'free video editor'

trailer
26th July 2014, 07:53 AM
There's no mic input on the EM-5. You'll need the SEMA adaptor to use an external mic.

MarkG
26th July 2014, 08:42 AM
i've downloaded the free microsoft my movie maker which has succesfully joined the 2 movies into one. first i had to export the .mov from the camera via Olympus Viewer 3 into an mp4 format.

I'll look into the mic next. what i'd like is something really compact, perhaps the size of a cotton bud so it doesn't look out of size compared to the camera.

crimbo
26th July 2014, 08:46 AM
A decent mic will be noticeable. I went for the Rode VideoMic.
Works well for heavy metal

Tordan58
29th July 2014, 02:17 PM
Ian,

Thanks for an excellent summary.

If I may suggest a modest contribution, it would be to run video files produced by camcorder or camera through the Handbrake transcoder, before further processing takes place. Even if you have no ambitious intentions, one benefit is that the output files (H.264) are optimized (smaller) and possible issues with audio (not being recognized) are fixed so output files can be easily played back on virtually any device/computer even if it is a bit old and not updated with the most recent video technology.

Handbrake is an open source project, most of the copyrighted source code is covered by the GNU General Public License.

http://handbrake.fr/