PDA

View Full Version : Toggle between Dynamic and single point AF on E3

DerekW
12th August 2008, 09:27 AM
I would like to be able to toggle between Single AF point and Dynamic diamond shape AF points with a single button push.

I have been able to toggle between 1 AF points and single point using the [...] button but not between Dynamic diamond and single AF.

I have read Wrotniak and the E3 manual but the answer was not apparent to me.

If all else fails I expect that II can achieve this by use of MyModes or Reset

Thanks for any info.

PeterD
12th August 2008, 10:08 AM
I would like to be able to toggle between Single AF point and Dynamic diamond shape AF points with a single button push.

I have been able to toggle between 1 AF points and single point using the [...] button but not between Dynamic diamond and single AF.

I have read Wrotniak and the E3 manual but the answer was not apparent to me.

If all else fails I expect that II can achieve this by use of MyModes or Reset

Thanks for any info.

Derek,

I too would be very interested in this. Birds in flight would be better captured using multi point AF.

Thanks for asking the question. Now lets hope someone has the answer.

Peter

theMusicMan
12th August 2008, 10:32 AM
I am not at my camera just ow, but... if you set a Custom Mode to the settings (including focus points and action), then assign this Custom Mode to the Fn key, then pressing this will instate all of your Custom Settings, pressing Fn again will revert to whatever the settings were before.

Does that work Derek...?

R MacE
12th August 2008, 10:53 AM
Not sure if this is what you mean but........

I have the Button Timer set to 8 seconds (I only press a direct button to activate it then I can turn the command dials to change the settings without holding the direct button down)

What this means with regard to the AF points is that pressing and releasing the 'Focus Point' activates the focus point control, (turning the command dial moves the focus point around)

However if I press and hold the focus point button, turning the command dials switched between All Area/Single/Single Dynamic

Hope that makes sense.

DerekW
12th August 2008, 12:05 PM
R and John

Brilliant - two techniques each with their own advantages

I had not realised the subtleties of pressing and holding the [...] button to swap between focus fields

I now have cracked the MyMode settings process - an area for further study for me.

I now have to get on top of Set/Reset etc.

Thank you for your help -

Derek

DerekW
14th August 2008, 07:35 PM
Since thanking R and John I have been reading the Wrotniak pages and the E3 user manual again and I cannot see any clear reference to the process that R described, ie that pressing in and holding in the [...] button and rotating the dials changes between the different focussing modes. So I have added the information to the 4/3rds Wiki on the sibling site.

Can any one direct me to were this process is documented in official or semi official documentation.

Why - I want to see what I have misread or misunderstood. Then I can kick myself for missing some potentially good shots <g>

R MacE
14th August 2008, 08:21 PM
I found it by accident :)

I also found that if you are reviewing ashot and scroll to zoom in you can go back to the unmagnified view instantly by pressing the Fn button.

Also if you want to compare a zoomed in section on 2 or more shots simply zoom in, press the info button to display a green border, use the D pad to move the border to any area you like, use the command dial to choose how big/small the area should be and then press the Fn button. You can now cycle through the reat of the shots and they will be displayed with the same area zoomed by the same amount as the first shot. Press the Fn button twice to revert back to normal view.

I found that by accident as well but I seem to recall seeing in the manual later.

Richard

DerekW
14th August 2008, 09:49 PM
Richard

I had seen information regarding manipulation when reviewing shots.

However it is the tip you told me re the [...] button being held down and rotating the dials that intrigues and annoys me.

This action contradicts the way the dials work with other buttons. If one does not have the button timer working then one would see the switching between the modes, but not the moving around of the focus points.

A good solution to this would be via the menus be able to determine the actions of the dials when the [...] button has been pressed.

It will be a long time before I get over my frustration of not knowing this feature.

However thank you for telling us - I suspect it will help quite a few users.

DerekW
3rd September 2008, 11:06 AM
I updated this info onto the Knowledge Wicki crediting Richard and it has now disappeard - any one know why???