PDA

View Full Version : E510 firmware update

RogerMac
7th December 2007, 09:52 PM
I am getting the distinct impression that after updating my E510 firmware the noise and sharpness at ISO 1600 has improved. I first noticed it on some very large enlargements (between A0 and A1 on cropped portions of the original) and then going back to the original test shots that I took when it was new in July and attempting to repeat them in the same lighting conditions I am convinced that there is a noticeable improvement - especially in the JPGs but also just noticeable in RAW.

So my question to Ian is, am I deluding myself or did Oly take the opportunity to slip in an undocumented improvement?

Thanks

Roger

Ian
8th December 2007, 10:22 AM
I am getting the distinct impression that after updating my E510 firmware the noise and sharpness at ISO 1600 has improved. I first noticed it on some very large enlargements (between A0 and A1 on cropped portions of the original) and then going back to the original test shots that I took when it was new in July and attempting to repeat them in the same lighting conditions I am convinced that there is a noticeable improvement - especially in the JPGs but also just noticeable in RAW.

So my question to Ian is, am I deluding myself or did Oly take the opportunity to slip in an undocumented improvement?

Thanks

Roger

It's not something I have noticed myself. Do you mean 1.2? I must confess I haven't upgraded to that yet as it's only supposed to enable the EC-20 converter to work and I don't have one yet. This does mean I'm in the position to do a before and after comparison :)

Ian

beardedwombat
8th December 2007, 11:28 AM
I also reckon the IS has improved a little too, but its difficult to quantify.
Chris

RogerMac
8th December 2007, 11:43 AM
It's not something I have noticed myself. Do you mean 1.2? I must confess I haven't upgraded to that yet as it's only supposed to enable the EC-20 converter to work and I don't have one yet. This does mean I'm in the position to do a before and after comparison :)

Ian

yes I have installed 1.2 and it is after that installation that I noticed it. I also think that IS is improved slightly - but that was documented

Roger

emirpprime
9th December 2007, 11:30 AM
They really should tell us about these things! Even if they just leak a rumour via a mid-level slip of the tongue. It would add more to their reputation to know they are still improving lond realeased models.
Phil