PDA

View Full Version : A little word of warning about the HLD-6 grip assembly for the OM-D

Greytop
18th April 2013, 06:10 PM
Olympus quote that the unit is dust and splash proof. I would say that in my experience for the bottom (portrait) part of the grip this may be stretching it a little.

Last weekend we were out in inclement weather again, my OM-D was armed with the 12-35 and both parts of the HLD-6.
At some points the rain was quite persistent but no problems with the camera until nearing the end of a short walk it appeared to pack up.
I switched it off and left it until we returned home to a dry environment. I found that the problem was caused by water entering the bottom part of the grip via the seal between the contacts.
As soon as the bottom part of the grip was removed the camera and first part of the grip performed flawlessly.

The upshot is that I have now a bottom part of a HLD-6 which is a paper weight (even after drying out it still fails to operate) and a top part of the grip which is absolutely fine.
I have therefore decided to order another grip and sell on the fully functional top part of my original grip.
Any future treks or walks in increment weather will be sans the Portrait grip / battery holder, just with the top part.

StephenL
18th April 2013, 06:37 PM
Interesting and thanks for the caution.

Much as I try, I simply cannot get on with the portrait grip, and always end up removing it. However, the landscape part is invaluable.

peak4
18th April 2013, 06:54 PM
The upshot is that I have now a bottom part of a HLD-6 which is a paper weight (even after drying out it still fails to operate) and a top part of the grip which is absolutely fine.
I have therefore decided to order another grip and sell on the fully functional top part of my original grip.

I think if it was mine, I'd be tempted to return it under warranty. It is advertised as dust & drip proof, so really shouldn't leak any more than the camera should.
The worst Olympus can do is to say no, but I'm guessing they will fix it.
Good luck

Greytop
18th April 2013, 07:15 PM
Interesting and thanks for the caution.

Much as I try, I simply cannot get on with the portrait grip, and always end up removing it. However, the landscape part is invaluable.

I find that I hardly ever use the OM-D without either the first (landscape) part of the grip or the portrait part fitted. I find the extra battery capacity that the portrait part affords useful.
I think also that the first part is actually more substantial due to it's metal (magnesium?) construction. The portrait part is pretty much all plastic and this may be some of the problem.

cliff
18th April 2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up Huw
I think Bill has right idea on this though...well worth a try

Cliff

Greytop
18th April 2013, 07:19 PM
I think if it was mine, I'd be tempted to return it under warranty. It is advertised as dust & drip proof, so really shouldn't leak any more than the camera should.
The worst Olympus can do is to say no, but I'm guessing they will fix it.
Good luck

Yes I did contemplate that but I've decided to get a new one and sell off the first portrait part.
The grip was one of the first 'deals' Oly offered with the OM-D so it really doesn't owe me anything as such.

Andrew Riddell
18th April 2013, 10:24 PM
Huw, you have a PM.

Greytop
18th April 2013, 11:06 PM
Huw, you have a PM.

PM responded to, thanks Andrew.

Ross the fiddler
19th April 2013, 02:32 PM
Any future treks or walks in increment weather will be sans the Portrait grip / battery holder, just with the top part.

But!.... with the seal in place too! ;)

Thanks for letting us know this failing & sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Greytop
19th April 2013, 06:35 PM
But!.... with the seal in place too! ;)

Thanks for letting us know this failing & sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Thanks Ross, yes of course you're right, I mustn't forget that one either :)

Footloose1949
18th June 2013, 12:38 AM
The facility for holding the removed rubber seal is a nice design feature, but I have to say that the ergonomics regarding the positioning of the buttons and rear dial on the body and grip could be better. The rear dial in my view, needs to be re-positioned further forward, and the two buttons, placed directly, side-by-side, below it, in the same way as on the body. That way, your hand wraps around the grip better and 'mirroring' the controls on the body and r/angle grip, makes use more intuitive. They are minor niggles, and the same complaint can be made many manufacturer's R/angle grips.