PDA

View Full Version : Power battery holder selected, body battery drains

Jetset95
15th April 2013, 11:53 AM
Has anyone else notice this? I got my OM-D back from having it's bezel fixed the other day, and as the weather has been getting better and I've not just been taking pics of the kids inside, I fitted the full battery grip and put the second battery in PBH and set the camera to drain this battery first. When you open the menu it clearly shows top left in green the PBH battery charge.

Today I was heading out and wanted to take a light pack - so took off the power battery grip and just left the primary part of the HLD-6 for extra grip - leaving the (as I thought) untouched battery in the body. I fired up the camera while I was out for it cough, splutter, and tell me the battery was drained!

At home now I check the battery in the PBH (which is supposed to have been used for the last week) - full of charge!

I've tried the camera with no battery in the body, and just one in the PBH - it works as normal, so obviously can take power from the PBH, but the last week when it was supposed to be doing so, it wasn't, it was taking it from the body.

I'll try again this week and change the priority - set the camera to drain the body first, then check to see if it did this or it drained the PBH instead - if so it looks like at least my OM-D has a software glitch - just wondered if anyone else has seen this in way?

Thanks all, James

Ross the fiddler
15th April 2013, 12:17 PM
I make a point of not leaving the camera battery in the camera for too long & cycle it out in the grip at least after two grip battery changes to make sure it gets cycled & to be sure a full battery is in the camera (using PBH first setting).

Jetset95
15th April 2013, 12:19 PM
Ross the batteries were both well and truly full to start - but the camera was using the wrong one to power it.

Ross the fiddler
15th April 2013, 12:29 PM
Ross the batteries were both well and truly full to start - but the camera was using the wrong one to power it.

I haven't noticed anything strange with mine, but then I haven't tried using it the other way round either (camera first). *shrug Sorry I can't offer anything more helpful.

Jetset95
15th April 2013, 12:36 PM
No need to apologise, thank you for your response.

Jetset95
15th April 2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks to Ross for his response above, I wonder has anyone else seen this phenomenon where the camera selects the wrong battery to drain, or is it just me and a call to Oly support due again :(

Thanks all, James

Invicta
15th April 2013, 06:48 PM
I had a power fault with my OMD EM5.

Insert fully charged battery into the camera, attach complete grip with no battery in grip. Turn camera off. Battery would drain flat within 48 hours.

I sent the camera, grip and battery to Olympus and they fixed a fault in both the camera and grip under warranty.

Maybe try this combo and see if your battery is being drained too.

Jetset95
15th April 2013, 06:57 PM
I had a power fault with my OMD EM5.

Insert fully charged battery into the camera, attach complete grip with no battery in grip. Turn camera off. Battery would drain flat within 48 hours.

I sent the camera, grip and battery to Olympus and they fixed a fault in both the camera and grip under warranty.

Maybe try this combo and see if your battery is being drained too.

Thanks Invicata I'll try this out also.

StephenL
16th April 2013, 07:51 AM
Just tried mine after a couple of weeks with the portrait grip on (an unusual thing for me to do!). Today the battery in the camera is as fresh as when I started out and the grip battery is down by one bar.

Jetset95
16th April 2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks Stephen, it's sound more like I have a slight problem with either my body or the grip - both purchased second hand, but no reason to believe anyone knew there was a problem with them. I'm just a bit *sob that I only noticed this after sending my camera off to Oly to fix the cracked bezel...