PDA

View Full Version : Zuiko 12-60 Repair Cost

ozzie
15th April 2013, 01:02 AM
Just a heads up for anyone who may experience exposure problems with this lens
Olympus has quoted me $422 to repair my lens, the lens is not worth that to me as I have a good 14-54.
Cheers
John

blu-by-u
15th April 2013, 01:25 AM
Is there a fault in the 12-50? I have heard of several units having aperture jam. So what's wrong with your unit?

ozzie
15th April 2013, 02:19 AM
Is there a fault in the 12-50? I have heard of several units having aperture jam. So what's wrong with your unit?
Hi
This is for the 12-60 four thirds. The lens is overexposing by at lease three stops.
Cheers
John

Ian
15th April 2013, 08:06 AM
How old is the lens - maybe Olympus in Australia may repair it for a discount if it is not that old. ZD lenses have a 2 year warranty.

Ian

ozzie
15th April 2013, 08:51 AM
Hi Ian
The lens is three years old and in very good condition
Cheers
John

Chevvyf1
15th April 2013, 09:12 AM
Heck ! Ozzie I think I have an E-5 problem but maybe its the lens - I was using the 14-54 MkII

wanderer
15th April 2013, 09:12 AM
I had a similar problem with this lens.
If I remember rightly it is to do with the diaphragm and not stopping down as part of pressing the shutter.
Luton cameras repaired it for just shy of 200.
I bought a second hand 14-54 as backup whilst it was being repaired but it just isn't the same glass. I'd be lost without the 12-60, its so versatile.

Graptolite
15th April 2013, 05:58 PM
I had an identical problem with my 12-60 which ended up with the diaphragm being replaced. Luton cameras fixed mine as well for a similar consideration.

peak4
15th April 2013, 06:29 PM
Not wishing to rub it in, but I'd try and get an estimated price out of Olympus Europe for a repair to compare it with.
I paid £138 to have my 50-200mm fettled last November.
This Post (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=113774&postcount=2)from Wee Man (hope he's healing nicely) suggests that the 12-60mm should be a similar cost as a standard repair charge.
It may of course have changed as that was from 2011

crimbo
15th April 2013, 06:36 PM
Silly question... is this a known fault with the 12-60? does it affect a serial number range?

ozzie
15th April 2013, 08:45 PM
Heck ! Ozzie I think I have an E-5 problem but maybe its the lens - I was using the 14-54 MkII

Hi Chevvf1
Change lenses and see if this still happens with mine the lens is ok up to 14mm but overexposed after that.
Funny I never use internal flash but had to on holidays to try and get some pics of a fantastic Air Museum in Omaka . My exposure was all over the place but I blamed myself and my lack of experience with flash. However once outside it was obvious that the lens was the problem.
Good luck
John

ozzie
15th April 2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone
When I sent the lens in I thought $300 would be the max I would have to pay and looks like that's what it should be with 200 pound being what some have paid.
Should I just email Olympus service and say $300 is the max I would pay for repair no harm in trying I suppose .:confused:
John

Imageryone
15th April 2013, 10:38 PM
You have checked to make sure there are no firmware updates for this lens? Just a thought :(

ozzie
15th April 2013, 10:53 PM
You have checked to make sure there are no firmware updates for this lens? Just a thought :(

Thanks imageryone
yes that was the first thing I did
Cheers
John

blu-by-u
16th April 2013, 02:41 AM
Hi
This is for the 12-60 four thirds. The lens is overexposing by at lease three stops.
Cheers
John

Opps sorry, it's my bad. suppose to be 12-60. I moved to the micro4/3 so the brains is now wired differently .. fingers also moved that way.

Anyway, back then when I was still using the 4/3, a few of my fellow users of the 12-60 had problems with the aperture. That why I asked if it was a design fault or manufacturing fault.

Gareth
16th July 2013, 09:10 PM
Last week I sent my 12-60 to Olympus with an aperture fault. I'll let you know what they quote for this repair.

Chevvyf1
16th July 2013, 09:20 PM
That will be interesting to know :)

ozzie
17th July 2013, 06:46 AM
Last week I sent my 12-60 to Olympus with an aperture fault. I'll let you know what they quote for this repair.

Wish you better luck than I had Gareth. It does get on my nerve when I look at that lens just sitting there. If the new supposed pro camera is micro fourthirds I hope they release a small version of the 12-60 to go with it as that would suit me just fine
Cheers
John

Gareth
18th July 2013, 08:21 AM
I have just had the quote back from Olympus for the repair - £139.30. They tell me the lens will be repaired and returned within 7 days.

ozzie
18th July 2013, 09:06 AM
Pity Olympus Australia can't repair lenses at a fair price
My quote was nearly double your quote .
But it probably takes two Ozzie employees to do the job of one that's life :D

Chevvyf1
18th July 2013, 09:13 AM
Ozzie, if you want to post to me in UK, I will send to Olympus for you and return it to you :) Post insured to me cannot be that much ? and I think Olympus do a special Courier fee here in the UK ?

Gareth, how much was P&P and is it to go to Portugal or UK ?

Gareth
18th July 2013, 09:28 AM
I just paid postage to a UK address. Royal Mail with £1,000 insurance was less than £10.
My only concern with Ozzie's case would be if the repair involved a more expensive part than mine. The Olympus service estimate states that the BARRIER requires attention, this means nothing to me.

DerekC
18th July 2013, 09:34 AM
I just paid postage to a UK address. Royal Mail with 1,000 insurance was less than 10.
My only concern with Ozzie's case would be if the repair involved a more expensive part than mine. The Olympus service estimate states that the BARRIER requires attention, this means nothing to me.

My E-5 is with Olympus service centre currently fault description Barrier requires attention! Is this just a standard statement for all faults as I can't see a lens and camera having the same fault?

Gareth
18th July 2013, 09:40 AM
I have just checked the online service tool, the fault code is 'B0604 - Lens - Iris / aperture mechanism'. This description makes more sense!

Chevvyf1
18th July 2013, 09:52 AM
My E-5 is with Olympus service centre currently fault description Barrier requires attention! Is this just a standard statement for all faults as I can't see a lens and camera having the same fault?

My E-5 went back in April and was to my Local PO on Friday, recd Oly Northampton Friday; Monday Recd Oly Portugal ; Tuesday left Oly Portugal; Thursday back in UK and Friday home with me :) all for 150 BARGAIN :)

Chevvyf1
18th July 2013, 09:53 AM
I have just checked the online service tool, the fault code is 'B0604 - Lens - Iris / aperture mechanism'. This description makes more sense!

ooh! I have no idea what my Oly fault code was :( ... and the paperwork is in the box, in the boiling hot loft :( so not going up there :D

ozzie
18th July 2013, 10:24 AM
Ozzie, if you want to post to me in UK, I will send to Olympus for you and return it to you :) Post insured to me cannot be that much ? and I think Olympus do a special Courier fee here in the UK ?

Gareth, how much was P&P and is it to go to Portugal or UK ?

Thanks Chevvf1
That's a very kind offer and very much appreciated
However I have decided to write to Olympus Australia and ask why their service fee is so much more than other service centres world wide.
This fault with the 12-60 is obviously fairly common my lens has had little use compared to PRO use .
Will let you now the result
Cheers
John

Chevvyf1
18th July 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks Chevvf1
That's a very kind offer and very much appreciated
However I have decided to write to Olympus Australia and ask why their service fee is so much more than other service centres world wide.
This fault with the 12-60 is obviously fairly common my lens has had little use compared to PRO use .
Will let you now the result
Cheers
John

John, your very welcome :) I hope Olympus Aus meet your needs and you soon have a repaired 12-60 to use again :)

Tordan58
10th September 2013, 12:29 PM
You are not the only ones. The aperture on my 12-60 SWD either broke or got stuck wide open the other day, pictures taken with aperture stopped down get overexposed.

It seems this is a common defect on this lens, could it be a design flaw or poor quality? Regardless, I like the lens so much I am prepared to spend money on getting it repaired. Olympus Sweden cannot give me a quote unless I send the lens to them. I plan to do so, if anyone is interested in the repair cost I can keep you posted.

Tordan58
2nd October 2013, 11:48 AM
FYI I got a quote followed by a re-quote for repair costs of my 12-60 SWD

Olympus Sweden are asking for 270 (standard cost) to have the AF system fixed (?). This sounds a bit strange since to my understaing it is the iris that not closing the way it should. The original quote referred to the sound system in need for repair, so I guess they have somehow mixed up the error codes (and maybe still are).

Does anyone know if this cost in line with what Olympus UK are asking for?

Ian
2nd October 2013, 04:23 PM
You are not the only ones. The aperture on my 12-60 SWD either broke or got stuck wide open the other day, pictures taken with aperture stopped down get overexposed.

It seems this is a common defect on this lens, could it be a design flaw or poor quality? Regardless, I like the lens so much I am prepared to spend money on getting it repaired. Olympus Sweden cannot give me a quote unless I send the lens to them. I plan to do so, if anyone is interested in the repair cost I can keep you posted.

It's worth asking if you cleaned the electrical contacts (on the camera side too).

Does the lens stop down if you set it to f/22 and use the stop down button?

Ian

PeterBirder
2nd October 2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Tord.

In post #19 above Gareth said his quote from Olympus UK was 139.30.

Regards.*chr

Tordan58
2nd October 2013, 05:54 PM
It's worth asking if you cleaned the electrical contacts (on the camera side too).

Does the lens stop down if you set it to f/22 and use the stop down button?

Ian

Ian,

Pity you did not reply earlier.

I cannot test what you have suggested since I have sent the lens to Olympus for check and repair quote.

Initial quote recommended repair of AUDIO SYSTEM. What???. I asked for a confirmation/re quote
Re-quote received, recommending repair of AF SYSTEM. Say again, AF? AF has always worked, and worked when I sent the lens to Olympus.

I now have the options to

Accept the repair quote, although I have problems with that since it is quite obvious the repair workshop have no clue what they are doing.
Deny the quote and pay around 30 for Olympus to return the lens to me, as is
Alternatively, Olympus will scrap the lens.

------------------

Here is the story from start.

The lens has worked perfectly since I bought it in 2011 (used, from a forum member, smooth transaction and matching description), I have been very pleased with it and have taken 1000's of pictures with it.

When on vacation this summer I noticed at one given point that the picture I just had taken was overexposed, quite a lot. The motif was not such that it called for exposure compensation, but it was not until I compensated that I got correct exposure. And it happened again. And again. A pattern became visible, pictures taken at full aperture were correctly exposed, pictures with smaller aperture overexposed.

On occasion, in random fashion, stopped-down pictures seem correctly exposed but that occured less often than 1 out of 10.

I tested the lens on another body (that worked fine with any other lens) and got the same results. Furthermore, any other lens used on the original body work fine too, so I this point I came to conclusion the iris is defect. Did I draw a premature conclusion?

Looking back at the pictures I took I can identify exactly where it started: in the middle of a photo session using this particular lens, no lens change took place so I doubt there was bad connections involved.

Graptolite
2nd October 2013, 06:30 PM
Tord - you have accurately described the exact same problem that I had with my 12-60 earlier this year. Luton cameras here in the UK had to rebuild the iris, which cost me about £180 if my memory is correct. I could not recall damaging or dropping the lens.
The standard amount charged by Olympus UK for repairs seems to be £139 or thereabouts.
I think you must contact them and question their diagnosis since it seems so obviously wrong.

wanderer
2nd October 2013, 08:30 PM
I would agree with David. Your quote seems high and incompetent.

DerekW
2nd October 2013, 11:40 PM
I had the same problem with a 12 - 60 within 3 months of buying the lens with the E3 in early 2008

I sent the camera and lens back to Olympus where it rested for a month without any progress being made inspite of requests from the dealer for a replacement. I spoke informally to a solicitor and was informed that I was being badly / incorrectly treated so I wrote to the head of Olympus in Europe, (by email, fax and I think hard copy) within a few days a rather contrite service manager telephoned me to tell me a replacement camera and lens was coming to me.

The lens needed a service just before the warranty ran out as it was not always focussing at the shortest focal length.

A few weeks ago I had the 50-200 serviced by Oly (occasional loss of communication between lens and body from the camera) It cost nearly 400 to get it repaired (still cheaper than buying a new one)

From what I have observed Olympus service by replacing a significant component in a lens and this fixes many disparate issues. How Luton Cameras do a repair I do not know.

Tordan58
3rd October 2013, 07:16 AM
I would agree with David. Your quote seems high and incompetent.
The cost aspect of the quote is, as I understand from reading the details, a standard feed for repair. "Take it or leave it." It seems that Olympus charge quite different fees depending on the region/country.

The technical aspect of the quote seems less competent, though. First "Sound System" which makes no sense, then "AF System" which makes less sense since the AF works as it should (at least as I perceive it, but I cannot rule out the AF system has some latent fault). Nothing is mentioned about "Iris system" though, which concerns me.

Tordan58
3rd October 2013, 11:19 AM
Olympus just told me that the error code that translates to "AF SYSTEM" also includes issues related to faulty iris. :confused:

Simon
11th October 2013, 07:32 AM
The cost aspect of the quote is, as I understand from reading the details, a standard feed for repair. "Take it or leave it." It seems that Olympus charge quite different fees depending on the region/country.

The technical aspect of the quote seems less competent, though. First "Sound System" which makes no sense, then "AF System" which makes less sense since the AF works as it should (at least as I perceive it, but I cannot rule out the AF system has some latent fault). Nothing is mentioned about "Iris system" though, which concerns me.

Is the 'Sound system' a reference to the Supersonic in SWD perhaps? Just a thought, but its puzzling why its the AF system that's supposedly faulty. My 12-60 has just started to refuse to stop down at all focal lengths beyond 18mm but oddly does so correctly at 12-18mm. :confused:
I wonder if anybody else has experienced the same fault?
Simon.

Tordan58
11th October 2013, 09:06 AM
Is the 'Sound system' a reference to the Supersonic in SWD perhaps? Just a thought, but its puzzling why its the AF system that's supposedly faulty. My 12-60 has just started to refuse to stop down at all focal lengths beyond 18mm but oddly does so correctly at 12-18mm. :confused:
Simon.
Hi Simon,
Maybe I was not clear.

The behavior I experienced with my 12-60 SWD was inability to stop down, regardless of focal length.

The original quote referred to an error code AUDIO SYSTEM that was incorrect, the workshop somehow had mixed up error codes.

The re-quote referred to error code AF SYSTEM. For some reason AF SYSTEM code also includes errors pertaining to the iris.

Above according to the information I received from support.

Let's see what the report says once I get the lens back...

ozzie
11th October 2013, 09:54 AM
Simon.

Yep Simon
Just what I had , my quote was $425 for repair which I did not except.
Not wanting to sound like sour grapes but there is obviously a problem with this lens as good as it is , the failure rate seems to be quite high as it ages.
My 14-54 lens still gives as good if not better results and no problems even though it has twice the usage.
Still hasn't stopped me I have preordered a em1 with the 12-40 hope it is as good as my 14-54
Cheers
John

Tordan58
21st October 2013, 07:52 PM
The lens came back today. The report says the iris has been replaced, lens checked/cleaned. Hopefully it will serve me well for years to come.

Simon
22nd October 2013, 10:12 AM
Hope your 12-60 will continue to give you years of great service, Tordan.

the repair estimate for my 12-60 was 146 which relates to the 'barrier' needing attention, whatever that is. Quite relieved as this is substantially less than replacement, or the move to the 12-40 when the EM1 arrives.

I wonder if the 12-60 has a disproportionate amount of repairs too.

Simon.

crimbo
29th October 2016, 10:05 PM
Middle of a gig and the dreaded stuck aperture occurred

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk