PDA

View Full Version : The new 75mm 300mm mkII tested

Daveart
14th April 2013, 11:13 AM
Hi Just bought the 75mm 300mm mkII lens here is a photo taken this morning only a sparrow but backlite by a bright grey sky I am very pleased with the results sharp well detailed no cromatic fringing that I can see, It is so fast focusing as quick as my 75mm 1.8 prime.

Just cropped and resized for uploading.

What do you guys think taken at 270mm length and 1/125th sec at f8. All I need is some nice sunny weather and try it out with Bird in Flight.

All comments welcomed
Dave

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/medium/P4140015.jpg

Greytop
14th April 2013, 03:31 PM
Looks good Dave, was this a tight crop or closer to full frame?
I would also be interested in seeing an image or two with the aperture wide open.
Thanks for posting.

Daveart
14th April 2013, 03:49 PM
Hi it is a square crop about 30% of the full image. to give you an idea the sparrow was about 18 metres away and covered about 20% of the frame. I over exposed by .7 stop because of the bright background, I found the 75-300mm mkII lens very fast in focusing almost instant from completely out of focus to full focus to the point you could do a full press and it was in focus and took the picture before I had released the shutter and I would say that was fast, where my four thirds kit would have hunted.

I will see what I can do, at the moment it is tipping down of rain and very dull.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Dave

shirley
14th April 2013, 04:09 PM
That looks impressive. This is one of the lenses I am after... do you want to sell? :confused::D LOL

Daveart
14th April 2013, 04:20 PM
Hi Shirley I have only just acquired it, SRS have it for 449, thats where I got mine from.

Thanks for your comments, It really is worth the money.

Dave

shirley
14th April 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi Shirley I have only just acquired it, SRS have it for 449, thats where I got mine from.

Thanks for your comments, It really is worth the money.

Dave

Yes they are on my radar, I think I will be making a trip as soon as I raise enough dosh.
In the meantime do post some more pics. *yes

Greytop
14th April 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi it is a square crop about 30% of the full image. to give you an idea the sparrow was about 18 metres away and covered about 20% of the frame. I over exposed by .7 stop because of the bright background, I found the 75-300mm mkII lens very fast in focusing almost instant from completely out of focus to full focus to the point you could do a full press and it was in focus and took the picture before I had released the shutter and I would say that was fast, where my four thirds kit would have hunted.

I will see what I can do, at the moment it is tipping down of rain and very dull.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's pretty impressive for 30% of the frame.
Looks to be an interesting lightweight solution.

Daveart
14th April 2013, 07:06 PM
Hi Huw, yes I'm very impressed so far would like to try my luck with BIF,as it responds so quick. Thanks all who have commented, and Shirley hope you get the dosh very soon as I think as the word gets out how good it is responding and image quality.

Dave

jamsa
14th April 2013, 07:07 PM
was saving for the macro but maybe this is going to be first choice but how is it compared with the Panny 100-300?

Daveart
14th April 2013, 07:13 PM
Hi Jamsa I could not comment personally as never owned one. But on comments that I have heared The 75mm 300mm is sharper and quicker focusing plus it is smaller then the panny, It certainly fires off multi frames faster too I haven't timed it yet as to how many frames a second it will do.

Sorry couldn't be much more help than that.

Dave

jamsa
14th April 2013, 07:48 PM
Hi Jamsa I could not comment personally as never owned one. But on comments that I have heared The 75mm 300mm is sharper and quicker focusing plus it is smaller then the panny, It certainly fires off multi frames faster too I haven't timed it yet as to how many frames a second it will do.

Sorry couldn't be much more help than that.

Dave

Sounds good, just makes the decision harder!

brian1208
14th April 2013, 09:00 PM
looks at least as good as the results I can get with my v1 75-300 (probably better but its difficult to tell with something this size)and the lack of CA under those conditions is impressive.

I read somewhere that there is no zoom creep with the new version either?

Ross the fiddler
14th April 2013, 10:12 PM
That is a nice catch with that lens.
It is a fast focussing lens but it will slow down in lower light. It is a nice compact lens for its focal length, but I wish the lens hood (LH61E) could be smaller though.

Looks good Dave, was this a tight crop or closer to full frame?
I would also be interested in seeing an image or two with the aperture wide open.
Thanks for posting.

I took these photos wide open with an example tight crop (one sharpened & later without) here. Red Wattlebird in a banksia (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26401).
And my first photos with this lens here. My first photos with M.Zuiko 75-300mm Mk2 lens. (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26327)

This lens does produce nice sharp images wide open (if careful using it). *yes

*chr

mike_j
15th April 2013, 09:32 AM
All I need is some nice sunny weather and try it out with Bird in Flight.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/medium/P4140015.jpg

I hope that you have more luck than I have had - so far nothing but blurred images. I think that I will try to find a hawk hovering.

Alpha1
15th April 2013, 03:46 PM
That's a very nice shot Dave from what looks to be a really good lens.

I wonder how it compares with the Pana m4/3 100-200 which is also a very good lens?

David Morison
15th April 2013, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately any problems with BIF is probably down to the camera's AF rather than the lens, the Mk1 lens also focusses very fast but even when AF is acquired BIF images are often soft, shutter speed is not at fault as I have tried it up to 1/1600. On static subjects everything is good. It would be nice if the Mk2 avoids these problems but I don't expect it will.

David

Daveart
15th April 2013, 06:39 PM
Sharp images of birds in flight is basically down to how quickly the camera takes the photo from when it was in focus and the users abillity to follow through at the same speed as the bird is in the focus area.

If there is a delay between the shutter being pressed and the photo being taken, then you will get soft slightly out of focus images, as the EM5 does not appear to have any more delay than my E30, then it should in theroy get birds in Flight with a fast focusing lens.

Dave

David Morison
16th April 2013, 07:30 AM
Sharp images of birds in flight is basically down to how quickly the camera takes the photo from when it was in focus and the users abillity to follow through at the same speed as the bird is in the focus area.

If there is a delay between the shutter being pressed and the photo being taken, then you will get soft slightly out of focus images, as the EM5 does not appear to have any more delay than my E30, then it should in theroy get birds in Flight with a fast focusing lens.

Dave

Interesting theory but as you say it doesn't happen with your E30, nor does it happen with the E5 or from memory with the E410. Doesn't happen with my Canon 7D or my friends' Sonys or Nikons. It must just be a m4/3 issue - I wonder if it happens with Lumix?

David

Greytop
16th April 2013, 07:57 AM
Interesting theory but as you say it doesn't happen with your E30, nor does it happen with the E5 or from memory with the E410. Doesn't happen with my Canon 7D or my friends' Sonys or Nikons. It must just be a m4/3 issue - I wonder if it happens with Lumix?

David

I guess the challenge (for the E-M5) is not so much the latency between focus lock and shutter release but actually being in focus in the first place (for BIF).
My experience has been that best results are achieved by not using C-AF (with the E-M5).

Daveart
16th April 2013, 08:45 AM
Hi all I have been giving this BIF issue some thought last night, I wonder if IS tries to compensate for movement and over does it a little.

When I get a chance I will try both with and without IS to see if it makes a difference.

I have tested on moving car traveling around 30-40 miles per hour both towards and away from me with good results by the way I do use IS running before The shutter is depressed fully, I know it uses up the battery faster but it does make a difference to response.

Dave

brian1208
16th April 2013, 12:37 PM
just for fun, a few Extreme BIF shots (extreme range that is :) ) using the old 75-300

The House Martins have returned so yesterday I thought I would carry out my annual exercise in stupidity and try to capture some flight shots.

Pre-focused at long range I activate the AF as the bird appears in the view-finder and try to get the shot

These three are 100% crops (of about 700 pix on the longest side, giving and idea of how far off and how small the bird was)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Martin100crop75-300.jpg

in this one you can just about see the fly the Martin is going to catch

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/housemartintakingfly.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/Martin100crop75-3002.jpg

Daveart
16th April 2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Brian, Those are great shots of such a fast moving bird, well done, just goes to show it is possible to get good BIF shots.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Imageryone
16th April 2013, 01:00 PM
Such a detailed image shows why Sparrows are such underated subjects, their colouration is really quietly understated.

Good to see a new lens perform so well.