PDA

View Full Version : A ship

giorgosmit
10th August 2008, 05:30 PM
Hi there! My first post in this board- feel free to rip me apart!
This was taken today during an excursion in the small port city of Nafplio.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2750405070_5b2026d893_o.jpg

CaptainD
10th August 2008, 06:00 PM
What a great subject, my only worry is just why is vessel sitting so high on the water?

Just a suggestion, perhaps try cropping the picture a touch to remove the object on the right. But remember, I am no expert!

Keep posting your pictures, its so nice to see everyones work.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Graham_of_Rainham
10th August 2008, 07:38 PM
First of all, well done for submitting to this part of the forum.

Almost all my comments are about crops & distractions so straight away I shall follow suit and suggest you crop off the RHS to get rid of the front of the truck (or whatever it is). Next crop a tiny bit off the bottom to get rid of the tops of the bars and a little of the LHS to re-balance the image.

When I say crop you may want to try stretching to get the same result, provided the subject proportions remain ok.

When ever you shoot head on to a subject like you have here, always make sure that you are spot on the middle and both sides are the same width in the frame, so here a small step to the left would have helped. I'm tempted to say that a step closer would have helped but that may also have resulted in a splash:eek:

This is clearly a BIG ship so you have done well to present it with "towering proportions", I like that it gives the feeling of a massive solid structure.

Shooting a dark object against the sky like this is also difficult to get right and you have done a really good job on getting the exposure right, with only the slightest loss of detail in the darkest of shadow areas on the lower RHS (the crop will help with that)

It is nice and sharp and overall well produced.

Hope this is of help, but always remember it's for you to like, if others do then that's a bonus.

*chr

giorgosmit
10th August 2008, 08:16 PM
Chris and Graham, thank you for your comments. I did as you suggested and, lo and behold, the image has much more impact! Thank you for your observations, I will post the updated image in a while (in the moment, to be honest- the local time is almost midnight and I feel completely burned out).

Ellie
11th August 2008, 11:08 PM
It looks absolutely huge. A brilliant viewpoint

The only thing I would try to do, other than shifting the lorry, is to make the lamp posts in the background vertical :)

giorgosmit
12th August 2008, 07:12 AM
Ellie, thank you for your kind comment. As to what you suggested, I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I do not know how to do perspective correction in PS...:eek:

Steve Lane
12th August 2008, 09:13 AM
This is a great shot. You did well to capture the light and dark areas without loosing detail in one or the other. I agree that cropping the lorry cab out of the image may improve it slightly, but it is not too distracting. The way the ship's bow rears up is very impressive!

I recall stopping in Nafplio for few hours last year. My brother needed to buy a shirt and we took a (rather steep) walk up to the castle. It is a very nice town and I would have liked to have spent more time there.

Regards, Steve.

giorgosmit
12th August 2008, 09:24 AM
Steve, thank you for your kind comments. Such a warm reception of my first uploaded photo means a lot to me!

I finally got around to cropping the photo. Here is the updated version:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2756552948_108da3ef4c_o.jpg

CaptainD
12th August 2008, 07:44 PM
What a nice improvement to your image, just a small edit has given it a lot more impact.

Regarding perspective correction, the way I do it iin Photoshop is as follows ;

1) Select Filter menu
2) Select Distort
3) Slect Lens correction and then play with the options

Please remember I am no Photoshop expert, there are now doubt many other ways to do it.

I hope this helps you

Cheers

Chris *chr

Graham_of_Rainham
12th August 2008, 10:19 PM
Confuse-us say:

"Photoshop like Kama Sutra, many ways to do same fing" :D

giorgosmit
13th August 2008, 04:18 AM
Yes, I laughed out loud too when I read that!

A bit off topic, but in a few hours I am getting on a ship that will get me to Italy for a 17-day long euro trip. I will not be able to check the site very oftenly, but expect a cartload of pictures when I get home!

HughofBardfield
13th August 2008, 09:38 AM
Smashing shot!

The other easy way of correcting perspective is to use software designed for the purpose. The following is an extract from a piece I produced for the Flickr Olympus E-System Information Links group ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympus_e-system_information/ )

PT Lens 8.5 and ShiftN

These two utilities are effective ways of correcting perspective distortion ("tilting building syndrome") and similar problems caused by the lack of a Tilt/Shift Lens in the E-system. While the same corrections can be applied in Photoshop, these utilities make it rather easier IMHO.

PT Lens (PC and Mac versions) can be downloaded from:
www.epaperpress.com/ptlens

It corrects lens pincushion/barrel distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration, and perspective. It will also de-fish an image. There is a free trial version (10 conversions only), and a licence costs $15. The program requires a bit more manual input than ShiftN.

ShiftN (PC only) can be downloaded from:
www.marcus-hebel.de/foto/ShiftN_Setup.exe

"ShiftN permits correction of converging lines; a majority of the correction work is taken over automatically by the program. Using the 'automatic correction' item in the menu is in most cases sufficient to produce a satisfying result. Both the effects of converging lines and poor camera angle are corrected automatically." ( www.marcus-hebel.de/index1.html ). Manual corrections can also be applied. ShiftN is freeware, but donations are welcome. There's a small Flickr Group: www.flickr.com/groups/shiftn/