PDA

View Full Version : Bracketing for HDR - have to hold down the shutter?

Jetset95
6th April 2013, 05:14 PM
Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but I'm getting more into landscape photos and Trey Ratcliff of Stuck in Customs fame has me wanting to play around with HDR.

I can't for the life of me figure out if there is a way of shooting sequential exposures with bracketing by just one press of the shutter button, so you avoid having to hold it down and potentially cause more shutter shake and instability.

I've got David Busch's book and the pdf manual but they're making my head hurt, can anyone answer this one way or the other please?

Thanks all,

James

StephenL
6th April 2013, 06:18 PM
Yes. Firstly, set burst mode to high. I use the SCP for this. Next, go into the MENU, down to Camera 2, down to Bracketing, right-arrow, select top option which is AE bracket, right-arrow, select number of frames and EV you want, press OK, then Menu back out of it. Just hold down the shutter till the camera stops taking photos.

PS don't forget, it's best to set a fixed ISO, white balance, and manual focus so these don't change through the sequence.

Jetset95
6th April 2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks Stephen, I was hoping there might be a way to set the 2s timer, press the shutter (in burst mode) and then walk away and have it take all the bracketed exposures, but I guess that's a bit too pro for the OM-D.

Trigger trap probably the next best bet...

James

StephenL
6th April 2013, 06:47 PM
No, because the self-timer is on the same "button" as "motor drive". Trigger Trap would certainly sort the delay for you.

benvendetta
6th April 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks Stephen, I was hoping there might be a way to set the 2s timer, press the shutter (in burst mode) and then walk away and have it take all the bracketed exposures, but I guess that's a bit too pro for the OM-D.

Trigger trap probably the next best bet...

James

This is something I wish I could do on me E3 but as has been said you can't do both :(

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 01:21 PM
I wonder if this isn't something that might be addressed in a software update? As so many pros are carrying around OM-D's not as a second or even primary camera requests like this must come up more and more I would have thought.

StephenL
7th April 2013, 01:54 PM
I wonder if this isn't something that might be addressed in a software update? As so many pros are carrying around OM-D's not as a second or even primary camera requests like this must come up more and more I would have thought.

I don't quite see how - or why. Most people would use a cable release to avoid shake. Certainly no so-called "Pro" would be seen dead without one! :D

benvendetta
7th April 2013, 01:56 PM
I don't always have a cable release with me

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 02:08 PM
I don't quite see how - or why. Most people would use a cable release to avoid shake. Certainly no so-called "Pro" would be seen dead without one! :D

Lots of pro's don't use a cable release - it's one more thing to have to carry around, to forget to put in the bag, or to break when you need it most. Canon and Nikon have the option to do this, Nikon's like the D800 can set the delay time for 2s, the auto bracket, and the anti-shake between each shot - all fired by the press of the shutter one time.

It would be nice if we could too as an option, if you want to use a cable / remote shutter you still can.

James

David M
7th April 2013, 02:16 PM
I have multiple remotes, one in each bag/case.

StephenL
7th April 2013, 02:45 PM
My cable release lives in the pocket of my tripod case. If I have my tripod with me, then I have my cable release.

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 03:05 PM
Ahh, I guess that's the difference between the pro's and the amateurs like me - no tripod case :)

Stewart G
7th April 2013, 03:15 PM
Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but I'm getting more into landscape photos and Trey Ratcliff of Stuck in Customs fame has me wanting to play around with HDR.

I can't for the life of me figure out if there is a way of shooting sequential exposures with bracketing by just one press of the shutter button, so you avoid having to hold it down and potentially cause more shutter shake and instability.

I've got David Busch's book and the pdf manual but they're making my head hurt, can anyone answer this one way or the other please?

Thanks all,

James

The lock on the Oly remote should allow you to do this, is how it works on the e-series cameras (with multiple image capture engaged). And if you need a delay, the mirror lock up can at least fake a delay, which unfortunately would occur for each successive shutter release.

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks Stewart I guess I was aware that a remote would solve this problem, I'm just being greedy and don't want to have to buy/connect one - I was hoping there was something I was missing in the mass of OM-D menus that would allow me to do it with a single press of the shutter button, but alas.

Stewart G
7th April 2013, 03:46 PM
After I posted I realized that you were specifically hoping to find a one button solution--I was being a little dense in my reading of your original query. And you're right, there absolutely should be a way to trigger bracketing with a delay, or the standard wireless remote.

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 04:31 PM
It's Sunday afternoon we're all allowed to be a little dense after lunch I think. Thanks.

Stewart G
7th April 2013, 04:36 PM
Heh, it's still morning over here and thanks to several cups of black coffee, I was likely at the peak of my best-est densest.

StephenL
7th April 2013, 04:38 PM
Ahh, I guess that's the difference between the pro's and the amateurs like me - no tripod case :)

Wot? No tripehound case? What do you carry your sausage rolls in then? ;)

StephenL
7th April 2013, 04:41 PM
Seriously though, I don't think it would be practical to split the functions purely via a firmware change. It would be better with an extra button, or reconfigure an existing one at the expense of another function. There's not much room on this body for another button.

Jetset95
7th April 2013, 06:48 PM
Seriously though, I don't think it would be practical to split the functions purely via a firmware change. It would be better with an extra button, or reconfigure an existing one at the expense of another function. There's not much room on this body for another button.

Maybe I'm missing something here - I've not really had my OM-D to use in anger for very long, and just got it back from having it's bezel crack fixed - but why could you not switch on antishock in the E menu so that your drive mode has the choice of anti-shock or not with all the available options, so you could set it with delay or burst and then apply your bracketing however you wanted it - 5 x 1 e.v. is my preferred starting point. If we can already have anti-shock with both timer delay and burst surely it's just a software update to allow us to have it with them both at the same time? Please forgive me if I'm missing the bleeding obvious somewhere.

Of course, none of this would matter (and so we can probably delete this whole post and give me a *whack) unless Oly would activate the burst shooting with just one shutter press, not having you hold it down for all.

Right, I'm off to grab a beer, this diet is killing me! Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

James