PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower

OlyPaul
8th August 2008, 10:30 AM
This image mainly relies on backlighting and negative space for its impact, the question is does it work? :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/P_002115.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7480)

snaarman
8th August 2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, very nice image.

The only tweaks I would apply are: Crop the vertical stalk on the left edge, and I would also push the entire black space into black (there are some OOF items in there) in order to maximise the impact..

Pete

Yorkie
8th August 2008, 01:08 PM
Great shot!

The only change I would try is to crop out the vertical stork to the point were the centre vein of the leaf meets the bottom of the frame: might work might not.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting and I will try myself.

Ellie
8th August 2008, 06:58 PM
You've got some rather wonderful detail there, all the little veins in the leaf. I do too like the way the yellow petals glow against the black background.

It's often easy to look at other people's pictures and see ways of improving them and in this one I think that vertical stalk on the left is a bit distracting. It's a better picture than I'd have achieved though, I'd like to try the idea some time, if we ever get any sunshine again.

tlove
8th August 2008, 07:06 PM
I agree with the other comments *yes

This one really works for me, the backlighting really brings out the leaf detail, and the petals are lovely - not burnt out. But I would probably get rid of that stalk on the left. It would be interesting to see one with and one without the stalk for comparison.

The Judge
18th August 2008, 12:51 PM
Always a brave man who applies an under used theory to an image and actually pulls it off.

Now if you remove the stalk as suggested with a crop you may stand to lose some of the nice shape of the leaf from the top. That would be a shame as this area of your picture helps combine the overall image.You could just darken that stalk area to add to the effect you were aiming for and to create less distraction on the eye. I really like the way you captured the detail on the leaf to the right.

Yes it is different and a refreshing change to see something like this. No need for the jury to retire. This gets a t-up