PDA

View Full Version : another BIF test

crimbo
31st March 2013, 11:36 AM
after the suggestion that the E5, battery grip and 50-200 is a fast focusser and my success with the EPM-2 being limited I took the E620, battery grip and 50-200SWD

Well all focus points on and CAF. Found that a half press caused hunting if a bird was followed so used intermittent half presses to keep the focus until framed then a full press

http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/P3313553_31-03-2013.jpg

Didnt always work
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/P3313574_31-03-2013.jpg

but when it did
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/P3313601_31-03-2013.jpg

that was wide open so the ISO dropped and the speed went high and the IS is off
Now to add the 1.4x and have another go....

Imageryone
31st March 2013, 03:47 PM
That last is a beaut, bet you are pleased with your practice and experimentation?

David Morison
31st March 2013, 09:10 PM
Certainly better results here. Your comment about hunting with CAF is interesting, I found that even with the E5 and the ED 300mm f2.8 I found CAF would adjust focus in steps which would often cause slight oof when used on a BIF when the distance between the camera and subject was rapidly changing. With experience I only used SAF and sometimes prefocused on a point and fired when the bird was passing it.

I think it is acknowledged that Olympus CAF has never been entirely suitable for BIF and the CDAF of m4/3 has not improved this issue. Let us hope that an E7/E-M7 will address this problem. I await with bated breath!

David

pvasc
1st April 2013, 07:29 AM
Try using dynamic single target mode instead of all targets, (focus points). Just a suggestion. When I used them all the camera did not always focus on the subject. I had trees in the background and it almost always focused on them.

crimbo
1st April 2013, 08:07 AM
Try using dynamic single target mode instead of all targets, (focus points). Just a suggestion. When I used them all the camera did not always focus on the subject. I had trees in the background and it almost always focused on them.

Not sure that is on the E620 and will have to look on the EPM-2

pvasc
1st April 2013, 09:31 AM
If the E-PM2 is like the PL5, it doesn't. You can do a center 9, but, I find when you half press the focus picks any of the 9 not the center. I've gone back to using the center.

But if you used a m4/3 lens it will focus and shoot really fast. I have it set so it focuses then shoots. Some one at SRS told me as long as it is set like that just track the object and press the shutter release.

Here is how I have the PL5 set:
MYSET 1 - Planes & Birds
Mode - Shutter priority
ISO - Auto
WB - Auto
Pic Mode - Vivid
Contrast - +1
Metering - ESP
RGB - +2
AF - C-AF
Focus - Center
I.S. - 1
Rec Mode - RAW or LSF
Noise Filter - OFF
Fn Button - Digital TC
Movie Button - MF

Contrast up and Vivid to help focus. Shutter speed I try around 1000, at least.

Here's how the E-30 is set:

2 batteries in the grip
ISO 400 - 800
C-AF
High speed seqential shooting
Dynamic focus point
RAW
And I may try I.S. 2 for panning.

If you see my pics from Donnington these are the presets I used. Next time I will try out a slower shutter speed to try and show motion.

Hope this helps.

pvasc
1st April 2013, 09:32 AM
I do like your pictures. Seems that we are having the same results, some good some not so good.

crimbo
1st April 2013, 01:56 PM
The E620 does not have dynamic focus but the technique I was using with the 50-200 was similar to the centre focus point and press when framed. So far seems the best BIF technique with this kit

Jim Ford
1st April 2013, 02:58 PM
Here's an extract from the post I've mentioned before:

"- Always use Dynamic Area AF (you can select it by pressing AF and rotate the front dial). It uses your selected point, but gets help from adjacent points. Be aware that it does not change the area or point like Nikon. Always keep your subject under the focus point for good results. Works much better than single points. NEVER EVER EVER use 11-points, it does not work at all and the AF is very slow in this mode, even on SAF.

- Set CAF Lock to ON in the menus. Everybody say this should be set to OFF, but it's WRONG. I tested this and CAF Lock ON works much, much better in every single CAF situation I tested, especially for fast moving subjects. From what I saw, the camera is hesitant to change focus by much if this is set to OFF, coupled with the slow 5fps. I repeat, set this to ON before you cry the E-5 cannot C-AF."

It would repay those interested in photographing BIF to read the whole post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50099629

Jim

pvasc
1st April 2013, 03:36 PM
Here's an extract from the post I've mentioned before:

"- Always use Dynamic Area AF (you can select it by pressing AF and rotate the front dial). It uses your selected point, but gets help from adjacent points. Be aware that it does not change the area or point like Nikon. Always keep your subject under the focus point for good results. Works much better than single points. NEVER EVER EVER use 11-points, it does not work at all and the AF is very slow in this mode, even on SAF.

- Set CAF Lock to ON in the menus. Everybody say this should be set to OFF, but it's WRONG. I tested this and CAF Lock ON works much, much better in every single CAF situation I tested, especially for fast moving subjects. From what I saw, the camera is hesitant to change focus by much if this is set to OFF, coupled with the slow 5fps. I repeat, set this to ON before you cry the E-5 cannot C-AF."

It would repay those interested in photographing BIF to read the whole post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50099629

Jim
Yes that is the post I followed to set up the E-30, but Chris says the E-620 doesn't have dynamic focus. It is a good read.