PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Viewer 3

Barr1e
28th March 2013, 05:57 PM
Olympus Viewer 3

I have just updated my XZ-10 and noted whilst on the Olympus site you can download the above. Mine came with the camera.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software

Regards.

DYOR

Ian
28th March 2013, 06:03 PM
Interesting - I only just updated Viewer 2 the other day and it didn't hint at Viewer 3.

Ian

timg
28th March 2013, 07:00 PM
Access a full range of Art Filters - including those that may not be available in your camera

About time they removed this artificial limitation!

Ross the fiddler
28th March 2013, 11:39 PM
Olympus Viewer 3

I have just updated my XZ-10 and noted whilst on the Olympus site you can download the above. Mine came with the camera.

Regards.

DYOR

I've known about this for a little while as they have the update for the software on the Japan support webpage but not the download (or didn't).

EDIT: I've downloaded & installed it & there are aspects that hark back to Olympus Master in this (which was probably missed by some in Viewer 2). I'm going to have to play with it a bit more to see if I can use it the way I prefer to with easy simultaneous RAW & JPEG edit ability.

Ross the fiddler
29th March 2013, 01:03 AM
Interesting - I only just updated Viewer 2 the other day and it didn't hint at Viewer 3.

Ian

I don't think you will get any notifications with OV2 updating as it is a new program that seems to add in some of the easy features that would suit beginners from Olympus Master as well as up to date features too.
Our Aussie site has this link now. http://support.olympus-imaging.com/ov3download/index/ which would be for world use (I would think & not just for USA).

Ross the fiddler
29th March 2013, 08:51 AM
Hi, it's me again! ;) While you've been sleeping I've been trying this new OV3 & there are a couple of things that would be nice if they could change it.

First of all, I usually review my images with Windows Explorer & click on a thumbnail to open it in OV2 Edit window, however, OV3 only opens the preview folder window (if that's the correct name for it).

The second thing is when in the edit window the thumbnails are across the top (instead of the bottom) & the size can't be changed unlike the OV2 version (that has the thumbnails along the bottom).

If there is a way around this, then please tell me. :confused:

edmund473
29th March 2013, 09:34 AM
Olympus Viewer 3

Regards.

DYOR

I have just been to my Olympus 2 and went to update telling me I have the latest up date does this link work with windows eight? John.

Ross the fiddler
29th March 2013, 09:40 AM
I have just been to my Olympus 2 and went to update telling me I have the latest up date does this link work with windows eight? John.

Hi John. It's not an update but a new program & it can installed as well as OV2 & then you can make one of them the default program to open your files when you've decided which ever serves you best.

Chevvyf1
29th March 2013, 09:57 AM
Barr1e Thanks a lot mate :) Uploaded 3 and its much better, faster access - than 2 :) seems like a merger of the best of Camedia Master & Viewer 1 & 2, to me :)

edmund473
29th March 2013, 10:11 AM
Hi John. It's not an update but a new program & it can installed as well as OV2 & then you can make one of them the default program to open your files when you've decided which ever serves you best.

Thanks Ross I will stay with viewer 2 Regards John.

zuiko-holic
29th March 2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Seems a bit faster which is a good improvement.

Imageryone
29th March 2013, 02:41 PM
Uploaded it and the lappy froze, just spent an hour sorting it out :( not going to bother now :)

shirley
29th March 2013, 05:29 PM
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I have loaded viewer 2 onto a computer, not the one I normally use to edit pics. I can view RAW files and view and edit jpegs, however, I have been unable to edit RAW pics, will this version solve that or am I doing something wrong in version 2?

Chevvyf1
29th March 2013, 08:33 PM
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I have loaded viewer 2 onto a computer, not the one I normally use to edit pics. I can view RAW files and view and edit jpegs, however, I have been unable to edit RAW pics, will this version solve that or am I doing something wrong in version 2?

VERSION 3 Shirley :) take a lookie at your desktop for 3 :)

Nick Temple-Fry
29th March 2013, 10:14 PM

Shirley

If you loaded it from an old disc it might not include support for RAW files from newer cameras until it has been updated.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
29th March 2013, 10:14 PM

Both in OV2 & OV3 the RAW (.ORF) files can be edited. In OV2 from the preview page (or window) of thumbnails, by double clicking to open the file, it (should) take you to the edit window with two tabs on the right, EDIT & RAW. In OV3, clicking on the EDIT icon on the top right will take you to a similar window (but with the thumbnails across the top instead of the bottom like OV2). This is how I prefer to edit RAW files rather than the other method of clicking on the RAW icon on the top bar in both OV2 & 3.

I do recommend downloading & installing OV3 as it does have some improvements to it over OV2 (but also a couple of omissions too) & as others have said, it opens quicker than OV2.

EDIT: (that word keeps popping up ;) ) Don't forget to get the updates for OV2 or OV3.

Falk
30th March 2013, 09:38 AM
I downloaded OV3 yesterday, thanks to this post. I "installed" it soon afterwards and all looked fine. The installer even told me it had finished installation! But, there is nothing but an empty OV3-folder on my HDD! Any idea what the heck is going wrong? :confused:
(I am still running WinXP(SP3), and am not going to change that as long as I can.)

Ross, did you notice that OV2 offers two ways of editing Raw's?
First by double-click as you said, but second by right mouse button and "open Raw-editing-window" (or such; I have it set to German of course; 3rd. point from top). With this option you get all Raw's listed at the bottom and you can apply setting to a number of them.

It took me quite a while to discover this second way of editing. I was processing one-by-one or with the wizard tool and batch-files, when I had a series of photos which could use the same adjustments ... :O

Ross the fiddler
30th March 2013, 11:14 AM
I downloaded OV3 yesterday, thanks to this post. I "installed" it soon afterwards and all looked fine. The installer even told me it had finished installation! But, there is nothing but an empty OV3-folder on my HDD! Any idea what the heck is going wrong? :confused:
(I am still running WinXP(SP3), and am not going to change that as long as I can.)

Ross, did you notice that OV2 offers two ways of editing Raw's?
First by double-click as you said, but second by right mouse button and "open Raw-editing-window" (or such; I have it set to German of course; 3rd. point from top). With this option you get all Raw's listed at the bottom and you can apply setting to a number of them.

It took me quite a while to discover this second way of editing. I was processing one-by-one or with the wizard tool and batch-files, when I had a series of photos which could use the same adjustments ... :O

First of all, my original download failed (with a partial download & was fine when I did it again later) which I was doing as a Save As into a specific folder I had created for it & then I ran it after it was downloaded. I prefer to do this with most downloadeable programs, but also because I wanted to install it on another computer.

With RAW editing, I have always taken the EDIT route because it was easy choosing any of the edit functions or raw edit functions under two easy accessable lists (tabs) & also to see the resulting saved jpeg in the thumbnails straight away. Actually, I've overlooked the 'edit' icon used in OV2 top bar (& just double clicked the thumbnail which opened it) as it wasn't particularly obvious to me & now it is very obvious in OV3.

crimbo
30th March 2013, 12:03 PM
OV3 on first view still appears dire but faster.
the options say you can use dual screen but as in OV2 I cannot get it to function...looks like I will stick to CO7

Greytop
30th March 2013, 12:13 PM
Sadly I agree with Chris, I rarely used OV2 but I admit V3 is an improvement (in speed) but light-years away from the polished, intuitive and fast CO7 package.
Mind you CO7 costs but it's worth it.

Thanks for the heads up anyway Barr1e *chr

Falk
30th March 2013, 12:55 PM
... I was doing as a Save As into a specific folder I had created for it & then I ran it after it was downloaded. I prefer to do this with most downloadeable programs, but also because I wanted to install it on another computer.

Thats the way I always like to do it as well - and did. I even tried to install OV3 from USB-stick, but with the same outcome :(
I guessed if my downloaded file is corrupted in any way it should not function in the first place, but everything looked all right all the way to the end. A mystery!

Thanks Ross,
Falk

Jim Ford
30th March 2013, 01:47 PM
I installed Olympus Viewer 2 on my Ubuntu machine and it appears to run OK with Wine (though I haven't tested it thoroughly). Viewer 3 installs, but doesn't run.

Jim

Melaka
30th March 2013, 06:51 PM
I've just tried to download OV3 but got a message saying the service is down due to maintenance. Maybe they're trying to put some of the problems right.

Paul19
30th March 2013, 10:05 PM
Downloaded OV3 yesterday without any problems. Enjoyed getting familiar with it - as others have said it's very quick (both in processing and intuitivly), it also brought across my personal changes from OV2.
Ross you mentioned some omissions from OV2, except for things being rearranged I haven't noticed anything of significance, am I missing something?

Ross the fiddler
31st March 2013, 12:35 AM
Downloaded OV3 yesterday without any problems. Enjoyed getting familiar with it - as others have said it's very quick (both in processing and intuitivly), it also brought across my personal changes from OV2.
Ross you mentioned some omissions from OV2, except for things being rearranged I haven't noticed anything of significance, am I missing something?

Just the inability to open a file from Windows Explorer (file browser) directly into the edit window of OV3 as I can with OV2 & also the thumbnails when in the edit window can't be changed in size as it can in OV2. It might sound like I'm whinging, but I'm not really. :rolleyes: ;) It is nicer in a number of ways but disappointing when little features are taken out. I wonder if they would consider putting them back in with software updates or maybe I'm just missing something?

Paul19
31st March 2013, 05:06 AM
Ok, I understand you miss those two facilities, but as I don't use them... there goes OV2.
Interestingly I downloaded OV3 to my wife's computer registering her Olympus P&S and it opened in the Library section.

Ross the fiddler
31st March 2013, 05:26 AM
Ok, I understand you miss those two facilities, but as I don't use them... there goes OV2.
Interestingly I downloaded OV3 to my wife's computer registering her Olympus P&S and it opened in the Library section.

That's probably because it installed it with the Standard Mode instead of the Expert Mode which can be changed later if required because of the camera model.

David Morison
31st March 2013, 06:54 AM
Download and installed OV3 on a Mac and the whole process took just over 2 minutes! The speed maybe because it didn't replace OV2, so now I have both. Looks pretty but I haven't attempted to do anything yet. I never used OV2 so I don't imagine I well use this much but I need to try it out before I trash OV2.

David