PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Olympus Pen E-PL1 showing blank screen with pentax k lens

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I have an Olympus pen e-pl1 camera, and bought a pentax pk to m43 lens adapter with some pentax pk lens. When everything is connected, the camera shows a black screen, but you can get into the different modes. Is there any settings to choose from on the menu or any changes needed to be made, to get the pentax lens working or even anything showing on screen? When I put the standard M Zuiko kit lens back on, it works as normal.

Hope someone can help out

Thanks

Ian
27th March 2013, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I have an Olympus pen e-pl1 camera, and bought a pentax pk to m43 lens adapter with some pentax pk lens. When everything is connected, the camera shows a black screen, but you can get into the different modes. Is there any settings to choose from on the menu or any changes needed to be made, to get the pentax lens working or even anything showing on screen? When I put the standard M Zuiko kit lens back on, it works as normal.

Hope someone can help out

Thanks

Is the lens fully stopped down when it is mounted on the camera? It may simply be too dark to show anything?

Ian

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 01:20 PM
Hi,

The adapter is properly attached to the body and lens is aswel. I tried it in light conditions, same problem. By the way I am an amature photographer.

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 01:22 PM
And I have rotated the aperture ring, opened and closed. Same problem

Ian
27th March 2013, 02:10 PM
If you put the normal lens on is everything fine?

Which exposure mode are you using when the Pentax lens is fitted?

Ian

Update - sorry - just read in the first post that the normal lens works OK.

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 02:17 PM
Hi

Yes, when the normal kit lens is on, everything works. When using the pentax k lens, I try all modes, such as A, P, M. But dark screen, you can see info though such as ISO, M, etc

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 02:45 PM
Wonder why it is not working

Ian
27th March 2013, 03:10 PM
Wonder why it is not working

I have an OM lens mounted onto an E-PL1 using an MF-2 adapter here at the office and I haven't encountered a problem like yours. So this is a mystery!

Ian

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 03:14 PM
Is there an option on the e-pl1 to switch off lens? I think on the panasonic m43 cameras there is an option to shoot without lens or something? That is what some people say on other forums regarding this.

Graham_of_Rainham
27th March 2013, 03:19 PM
I get this if the lens release button is not fully engaged and locked the lens onto the body. Press it in, turn the lens as if to take it off, then turn it back and listen for the click as the lens release pops out.

Hope this works.

*chr

Ian
27th March 2013, 03:22 PM
There is an option for setting the focal length for accurate image stabilisation but I'm not aware of a setting for manual lenses other than this on Olympus cameras.

Ian

StephenL
27th March 2013, 03:23 PM
Stupid question, but to rule out the obvious, is the lens cap on the Pentax lens? I've left the cap on mine a couple of times.

BTW I use a Pentax lens on the E-M5 which works fine.

Ian
27th March 2013, 03:25 PM
I get this if the lens release button is not fully engaged and locked the lens onto the body. Press it in, turn the lens as if to taks it off, then turn it back and listen for the click as the lens release pops out.

Hope this works.

*chr

That could be it :) I concur here with the E-PL1 in front of me. In fact there is a microswitch on the lens release button (on the camera body) and even if that is only pressed the screen goes blank. It could be that the Pentax adapter is not accurately machined and the lens release button is not being allowed to lock properly?

Ian

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 03:32 PM
I think you guys have got it! Though its not going to work for me. When i attach the olympus kit lens it makes a nice clicking noise, and the pentax m43 adapter doesn't. So this is it. Anyway to fix the problem????

Ian
27th March 2013, 03:40 PM
The problem is with the Pentax adapter you are using. If you look at the camera's lens mount without the lens attached you will see a small lug at 3 o'clock sticking out a millimetre or so. When a lens is mounted but not in the correct position (fully turned in the mount) that lug is depressed and remains flush with the lens mount surface until the corresponding hole on the lens side of the mount aligns with the lug. The lug then springs back forward and the screen should work properly again. If your adapter doesn't have the corresponding hole or it has not been machined properly or is machined in the wrong positioned, you will have a problem as you have described. If the mount won't turn far enough, for example, you will need to get the adapter replaced.

Ian

Ian
27th March 2013, 03:45 PM
I have added this information to the FTU Knowledge Base Wiki:

http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki/It%27s_Not_Working#Screen_goes_dark_when_fitting_a _lens

Ian

RPXL UK
27th March 2013, 03:58 PM
thanks really appreciate your help today, along with the other helpful person. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon

Graham_of_Rainham
27th March 2013, 05:00 PM
I think you guys have got it! Though its not going to work for me. When i attach the olympus kit lens it makes a nice clicking noise, and the pentax m43 adapter doesn't. So this is it. Anyway to fix the problem????

Try fitting the adapter to the body on it's own, then fitting the lens to the adapter.

If you don't get that reassuring "click", as with the official lenses, then the adapter is likely to be a "bit off" :(

PaulB
28th March 2013, 12:29 AM

Are you handy with a drill at all? you can get the position of the hole where the pin locates by looking at an olympus lens and CAREFULLY drilling a similar hole in the PK adapter.
Assuming of course you can't just get the adapter replaced by the shop you bought it from as it is obviously not fit for purpose.

Thanks for pointing this problem out as I'm getting a couple of adapters for OM and M42 lenses and would have been scratching my head if i have the same issue with those.