PDA

View Full Version : What great timing

ozzie
25th March 2013, 08:52 PM
We are at the end of our three week tour of New Zealand have had a great time and taken lots of pics . But tomorrow is the grand finale !!!!
We have booked a very expensive plane /boat cruise of Milford Sound which should be a once in a lifetime chance to photograph this World wonder.
I prepared well for this E5/E3 7-14 12-60 50-200 8mm fisheye polar filters full set of nd filters tripod and backup batteries .
Taking a few shots this morning with the E5 and 12-60 badly overexposed pics.
At 12mm all good anything past 18 mm overexposed by at least three stops ?
Checked settings reattached lens cleaned contacts no different.
Tried A\P\S modes no difference put on 7-14 all good 50-200 all good.
DAM 12-60 decides to fail just when it is most needed. Rang Olympus for help but advised the lens needs service :mad:
So with the most usefull lens on my system gone I can only hope that I can get some good shots with the 7-14 and 50-200.
Have in the past always taken the 14-54 as backup but weight restrictions didn't allow this time.
Sorry for the long rave but I am livid.
John

tomphotofx
25th March 2013, 09:03 PM
It's a bummer when something like this happens, perhaps the only consulation is you do have the 12-60 focal length covered by the other two lenses although it will be a pain to keep swapping lenses. Think positive and make every shot count I wish you luck.

Tom

Graptolite
25th March 2013, 09:29 PM
I had a similar problem with my 12-60 John. Fine at the 12mm end but beyond about 18mm it overexposed except when wide open. When I stopped down to a small aperture, looked through the front end and operated the depth of field preview I could see that the iris wasn't closing down as it should. I could just about take photos by setting the exposure compensation to take account for the over-exposure but it was slow and awkward. I sent it to get fixed and they had to rebuild the iris mechanism. I suspect it must have had a knock although I couldn't remember any particular episode.

Ross the fiddler
25th March 2013, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation with that lens & hope you can still get nice shots with what you still have operational. At the moment I'm seeing lots (& lots & lots) of photos my daughter took while she was over there (from an ultrazoom P&S).

ozzie
26th March 2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks Tom David and Ross
The one thing that I had confidence in with Olympus was reliability just bad luck I now but wish it could have happened at home where I had backup.
Well it will test my skills with the limited range I have left hope I am up to the challenge
Cheers
John

Bikie John
26th March 2013, 11:32 AM
I wonder if the 12-60, for all its good optical performance, is a bit of a dog mechanically. Mine had a different problem - the weather-sealing ring for the zoom mech slipped its moorings and the zoom jammed. Needless to say this was at Twickenham just when I needed to get photos of our county team with their trophy for winning the championship final :(

Ciao ... John

Chevvyf1
26th March 2013, 01:43 PM
John, I do so feel for you and am truly gutted :(

I do so look forward to your holiday images of that one, other place, in the world I would live :)

Best wishes for as good as it gets day :)

ozzie
26th March 2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks John and Chevvyf1
Waiting fot the plane pick up as I write this very excited and looking forward to the experience
Cheers
John

Chevvyf1
26th March 2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks John and Chevvyf1
Waiting fot the plane pick up as I write this very excited and looking forward to the experience
Cheers
John

ooooh! I am SOOO EXCITED for you :)