PDA

View Full Version : Confused - button assigning

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 12:45 PM
OK

So I've hired the O-MD and when it arrives I want to be able to program some buttons ....

I've downloaded the manual and somethings (read most) still are confusing me

I wonder if any kind soles could put how to's (I've searched the forum and am still confused) for the best placement

It may be worth me saying that I'll never use the video if that makes any difference

I would like buttons to:

1. Flick to spot meter using a button with my right hand thumb (also does the spot meter use the current focus point)

2. Have the display when I press play show a review with clipping blinkies ?

3. Have a button set so with my left hand I can do this focus zoom in bit which in effect makes the focus point more accurate. Also with this do I compose first - press the button - half press the shutter - press the button again to come out of magnification and then fully press to take the picture ?

4. Any other common setups that anyone thinks I may have missed

I do want to keep the arrow buttons for moving the focus points unless there is another way to move them around.

I won't generally be using the rear screen to frame / take pictures ....

I know I'm asking a lot but I've managed to blag a 2nd shooter wedding gig the day after my hire starts - so I've limited time to set it up like my current gear ..... don't worry it doesn't matter if I return with nothing :)

Many thanks

Simon

Ian
20th March 2013, 01:13 PM
You can record the state of the camera settings in up to four MySet profiles that can be individually assigned to a function button for instant effect.

So if you have spot meter set, highlight clipping shown, and certain other settings, when pressing the function button with, say MySet1, these will come into play.

You can assign a function button for zoomed critical focus but there are no buttons on the left side of the camera.

Ian

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 01:31 PM
You can record the state of the camera settings in up to four MySet profiles that can be individually assigned to a function button for instant effect.

So if you have spot meter set, highlight clipping shown, and certain other settings, when pressing the function button with, say MySet1, these will come into play.

You can assign a function button for zoomed critical focus but there are no buttons on the left side of the camera.

Ian

Thanks Ian

I need the idiots instructions to assign them to separate buttons - is this possible so they are permanently set and all available at once ? i.e are there enough buttons

Ian
20th March 2013, 03:43 PM
I think there are 3 Fn buttons that can be programmed on an E-M5, plus two of the arrow keys (more limited settings though).

Ian

StephenL
20th March 2013, 04:01 PM
I can count 3 on the body, plus the Right and Up arrows - Fn1, Fn2, and Record. Plus the one on the 12-50 lens, and the extra (2?) buttons on the portrait grip. What am I missing?

OM USer
20th March 2013, 04:16 PM
The normal setup for the zoom focus is to assign the multi-function option to button Fn2, hold it down, and rotate rear dial to select magnify option (and ignore the other 3 possibilities of the multi function).
One short press brings up the magnify focus box which can be moved via the 4-way buttons (if on default settings) or by touching the screen (if set to touch only or touch&shoot - the hand in oval on rectangular box on left side of screen sets the touch screen mode). In this mode the box is your small focus point. A second short press magnifies the picture. A third short press takes you back to the magnify box. A long press takes you out of focus zoom mode.

In focus zoom mode repeatedly touch the info button until all the screen info dissapears except for a small "14x" (or other number) in the bottom left. Rotating either top dials then changes the focus magnification box size.

Or in picture magnification mode (2 short presses on function button) rotate either top dial to change magnification.

OM USer
20th March 2013, 04:30 PM
The Super Control Panel (SCP) remember the last option that was changed. So press the OK button to bring up the SCP (you may need to enable this first). Touch the metering mode block or select it using the 4 way buttons and press OK again to enter metering mode change and again to exit.
Now when you press the OK button twice you can change the metering mode with either dial and press OK to select the new metering mode.

If you have enabled the live view guide to come up when you press the OK button (and the last thing changed was the metering mode) then use the front dial to change metering mode and OK to select it. The rear dial will select which option will come up - so you would use this to select metering mode if this was not the default option.

Ian
20th March 2013, 04:45 PM
OK, looking at the manual - there are two Fn buttons and the video record button, all of which are programmable. The battery grip has 2 Fn buttons too but I am not sure if these are independent of Fn-1 and Fn-2. Currently only the 12-50 lens, this has an L-Fn button, which can apparently be programmed. Some of the 4-way buttons can be programmed but I don't think the selection of programmable options is as wide as the other buttons and does not include MySet profiles.

Ian

Ian
20th March 2013, 04:47 PM
I can count 3 on the body, plus the Right and Up arrows - Fn1, Fn2, and Record. Plus the one on the 12-50 lens, and the extra (2?) buttons on the portrait grip. What am I missing?

Yes it's three on the main body, not four, but five buttons on the main body including the right and down arrow buttons which have a more limited selection of settings than the three Fn buttons.

Not having an E-M5 here at the moment I would be interested to know if the B-Fn buttons on the battery grip mirror the main Fn buttons or can be programmed independently as extra Fn buttons. Anyone? :)

Ian

Ian
20th March 2013, 05:46 PM
It's worth pointing out that invoking a Myset (or on older cameras My Mode) profile via an assigned function button requires the function button to be kept pressed. If you want to carry on with the settings of that profile without having to keep a function button pressed you need to invoke the profile from the camera shooting menu.

I have added an article about this on the FTU Knowledge Base Wiki

http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki/Olympus_Myset_and_My_Mode

Ian

PS It's a lonely existence on the wiki at the moment - I wish some more people would come and help me there!

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 05:51 PM
OK - I nearly get this .....

Have you a picture of Fn1 and Fn2 ?

The normal setup for the zoom focus is to assign the multi-function option to button Fn2, hold it down, and rotate rear dial to select magnify option (and ignore the other 3 possibilities of the multi function).

I'm with you - do I press OK or something to save it

One short press brings up the magnify focus box which can be moved via the 4-way buttons (if on default settings) or by touching the screen (if set to touch only or touch&shoot - the hand in oval on rectangular box on left side of screen sets the touch screen mode). In this mode the box is your small focus point. A second short press magnifies the picture. A third short press takes you back to the magnify box. A long press takes you out of focus zoom mode.

Do I have to do this each time I want to use focus zoom - and is this still through the viewfinder ?

In focus zoom mode repeatedly touch the info button until all the screen info dissapears except for a small "14x" (or other number) in the bottom left. Rotating either top dials then changes the focus magnification box size.

Or in picture magnification mode (2 short presses on function button) rotate either top dial to change magnification.

I'm being thick but again is this the viewfinder I'm altering and again do I have to do this everytime ?

I'm not sure but I thought I'd read that once done to say 10x it remembers that setting and somehow by pressing a func button calls up that last setting ?

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 05:52 PM
The Super Control Panel (SCP) remember the last option that was changed. So press the OK button to bring up the SCP (you may need to enable this first). Touch the metering mode block or select it using the 4 way buttons and press OK again to enter metering mode change and again to exit.
Now when you press the OK button twice you can change the metering mode with either dial and press OK to select the new metering mode.

If you have enabled the live view guide to come up when you press the OK button (and the last thing changed was the metering mode) then use the front dial to change metering mode and OK to select it. The rear dial will select which option will come up - so you would use this to select metering mode if this was not the default option.

I'm maybe misreading thsi - but is there no way to assign a func button to actual spot metering without doing all these steps ?

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 05:58 PM
It's worth pointing out that invoking a Myset (or on older cameras My Mode) profile via an assigned function button requires the function button to be kept pressed. If you want to carry on with the settings of that profile without having to keep a function button pressed you need to invoke the profile from the camera shooting menu.

I have added an article about this on the FTU Knowledge Base Wiki

http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki/Olympus_Myset_and_My_Mode

Ian

PS It's a lonely existence on the wiki at the moment - I wish some more people would come and help me there!

Ahhhh so I think .....

If I alter the metering mode to spot (but nothing else changes) - save the setting as My Set One I can then assign that in effect to a func button ? How do I assign it ?

Then if a create a second set to do the magnification bit (but not spot metering) I can save that as a myset and assign that to another func button ?

Then presumably I press and hold my desired button to use that feature ?

OM USer
20th March 2013, 06:21 PM
Fn2 button is on the top plate next to shutter. (Fn1 button is on the back, at the top, to the right of the play button, above and to the right of the OLED screen (a.k.a LCD))
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2812471/Olympus_om_d5_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Assign the "multi-function" function to Fn2, see page 93 of the manual.
Press and hold Fn2, rotate dial to select which of the 4 functions (in the "multi-function" function) you want and then release Fn2. That function is now the one that will be activated on a short press of Fn2. No need to hit OK at any point in order to set which of the 4 functions is to be the active one.

The fact that you are in focus zoom (either with magnify focus box visible or with magnified view) is remembered between shutter activations. If you turn the camera off (or possibly if it goes to sleep) you will need the single or double short press on Fn2 to bring you back to magnify focus box/magnify view). It works on both viewfinder and rear screen and you can switch between the two and retain what you see.

You can change the magnification value from either viewfinder or rear screen - its the one setting for both and is remembered through power off.

There is no button you can assign to spot metering - get an OM4Ti for that. The metering mode is remembered through power off as is the last SCP/live view option that was changed. So if the last thing you changed was the metering mode then next time you bring up the SCP or live view setting then you will be back in the option to change the metering mode.

OM USer
20th March 2013, 06:37 PM
You can not assign all assignable functions to all buttons.
Each buton has its own subset of functions that can be assigned to it - and the manual does not list them. The only way is to go into the menu and scroll through the list of functions having selected which button you want to change.

You can not assign a "myset" to the Fn2 button. You can assign it to the Fn1 button. You can also assign the multi-function function to Fn1 but this buton is not quite as easy to reach as the Fn2 button and to use magnify you do need to have ready access as you switch it on and off.

If you assign a myset to Fn1 then to use it you press and hold Fn1. Whilst Fn1 is pressed, pressing Fn2 does not do anything. If you are in magnify mode then pressing Fn1 (as myset) will take you out of magnify mode. So if you want magnify focus it looks like you are stuck with switching spot metering on and off either from the SCP/Live View or via the menu to switch between various mysets.

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks - I know it is me being a little thick - but without the camera in front of me it is taking some sinking in !

OM USer
20th March 2013, 08:20 PM
It is not easy - and that is with the camera in front of me.

My understanding is that the menu and SCP are traditional Olympus. Just because the Four Thirds chaps are happy with it (assuming they are) does not mean it is easy for those new to Olympus to pick up.

There is no mention (in the manual) of spot metering at anything other than the centre 2% (i.e no spot metering where focus is) and in fact a little circle appears in the centre to show the metered portion. Tapping the screen to move the focus point does not seem to change the metered values.

I did find something new. With the screen in touch focus mode (and not touch focus/shoot mode), even if you are not in magnify focus mode, then touching the screen will palce you in magnify focus mode with the focus box displayed at the position you touched and at the size you last set it. Much easier than pressing Fn2. Also when you do this it briefly displays the zoom amount on a scale down the right hand side - but sadly you can't change it from here. Have not noticed this before as I usually have it set to touch and shoot. (This doesn't help you have Fn1->myset AND zoom focus though as it behave just like mixing Fn1 and Fn2 button presses)

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 08:26 PM
It is not easy - and that is with the camera in front of me.

My understanding is that the menu and SCP are traditional Olympus. Just because the Four Thirds chaps are happy with it (assuming they are) does not mean it is easy for those new to Olympus to pick up.

There is no mention (in the manual) of spot metering at anything other than the centre 2% (i.e no spot metering where focus is) and in fact a little circle appears in the centre to show the metered portion. Tapping the screen to move the focus point does not seem to change the metered values.

I did find something new. With the screen in touch focus mode (and not touch focus/shoot mode), even if you are not in magnify focus mode, then touching the screen will palce you in magnify focus mode with the focus box displayed at the position you touched and at the size you last set it. Much easier than pressing Fn2. Also when you do this it briefly displays the zoom amount on a scale down the right hand side - but sadly you can't change it from here. Have not noticed this before as I usually have it set to touch and shoot. (This doesn't help you have Fn1->myset AND zoom focus though as it behave just like mixing Fn1 and Fn2 button presses)

OK - that's a bummer re spot focus - but just a case of focus / recompose ....

Am I wrong in thinking that the magnify focus doesn't follow the focus point ? I assumed that I could enter magnify and then move it around with the direction arrows ?

mike_j
20th March 2013, 08:53 PM
If you haven't read it before this is a good starting point.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

I use three sets of assigned buttons though they are not very different. To a large extent they consist of switching functions off so the camera only does what I tell it when I tell it.

1. Normal use with MFT zoom lenses
2. Legacy lens use (includes use of keyline art filter as a pseudo focus peaking)
3. Video enabled.

One button assignation that I haven't seen discussed much but which I find useful is the use of the lens L_Fn button to return to centre spot focus.

It's a very configurable camera and it took me a full month to get comfortable with it and even now I sometimes forget what does which (or is the other way around?)

Jim Ford
20th March 2013, 09:36 PM
I have buttons on the E5 that I can assign settings to. I've tried the feature, but to be honest I don't actually use it because I can never remember what I've set them to! The camera has lots of features that I've never used and I'm sure many that I'm not aware of.

Jim

OM USer
20th March 2013, 10:16 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that the magnify focus doesn't follow the focus point ? I assumed that I could enter magnify and then move it around with the direction arrows ?

I refer the honorable member to my earlier reply is post #6:
One short press brings up the magnify focus box which can be moved via the 4-way buttons (if on default settings) or by touching the screen.

And add .... the magnified view is the focus box magnified to fill the screen/viewfinder. In this mode you see a small rectangle in the bottom left which (symbolically) represents the whole screen and in this an even smaller rectangle which represents the focus box. Moving the focus box around with the arrow keys moves the teeny weeny focus box around in the small rectangle and shows what portion of the image is seen on the screen/viewfinder.

If I understand what you mean by having the magnify focus follow the focus point then no, this is not possible. In non magnify mode you can set which portion of the screen is to be used to look for focus - you get a coarse matrix of 7 x 5 green boxes up on the screen and can adjust how many (1, 3x3 or all 7x5) are to be used and where that rectangle is situated. At one extreme you have selected all the boxes and cover the screen (actually about 80% as the edges are not used), at the other you select just one of the boxes and position it anywhere on the centrasl 80% of the screen. When you half press the shutter the display highlights which ONE box out of the ones you have said in which to search for focus it has found focus in. Pressing the Fn2 (magnify) button twice will zoom in on this spot. There is nothing magic really, it always zooms in on the last spot that had focus. If you manually position that box (by arrows or touching the screen) then you are telling the camera that that is the position (well , box) that has focus. The standard focus box size is pretty big which is why a lot of people use the smaller (adjustable size) zoom magnify focus box, but even this is relatively big compared to the spot focus of some cameras.

El CID
21st March 2013, 06:37 AM
If you haven't read it before this is a good starting point.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

I use three sets of assigned buttons though they are not very different. To a large extent they consist of switching functions off so the camera only does what I tell it when I tell it.

1. Normal use with MFT zoom lenses
2. Legacy lens use (includes use of keyline art filter as a pseudo focus peaking)
3. Video enabled.

One button assignation that I haven't seen discussed much but which I find useful is the use of the lens L_Fn button to return to centre spot focus.

It's a very configurable camera and it took me a full month to get comfortable with it and even now I sometimes forget what does which (or is the other way around?)

Can you tell me which option in the L_Fn button menu is used to set it to return to centre spot focus

mike_j
21st March 2013, 08:59 AM
OK, strictly it is centre area not spot, I used the wrong word. Anyway, I'll try to go through it in words, if you can't understand (quite reasonably) I'll take some pics with the cameraphone.

In the custom menu (gears) select AF/MF
Down arrow button to bring up [...] Set Home
Right arrow to Set home picture. Select Centre zone.
Set this and go back to custom menu
In custom menu select Button/Dial then Button Function
Arrow key down to L-FN Function
Arrow right and select [...] Home.
Set this and return to menu.

Now the button on the 12-50 lens will return the focus zone to the centre when you press it. I find it useful because I tend to nudge the arrow keys without noticing and find the zone has moved without my wanting it. I have just learnt from this thread that only the 12-50 has this button but it's the only OM-D lens I have tried.

I always use centre weighted metering and centre focus then lock it and recompose because then I know what the camera is doing. I accept that it is an old fashioned way of working but if it's good enough for Leica it's good enough for me.

Once you are happy with your set up save it as a Myset, it can't be renamed to something useful unfortunately.

Can you tell me which option in the L_Fn button menu is used to set it to return to centre spot focus

OM USer
21st March 2013, 10:17 AM
An easy way to return the zoom focus magnify box to the centre of the screen is bring up the zoom focus view (short press the Fn2 (magnify) button) so you see the whole picture with the green zoom focus box somewhere on the screen then press and hold the OK button. The focus box will jump to he centre of the screen and you can let go of the OK button.

El CID
21st March 2013, 11:27 AM
Many thanks, I also tend to nudge the arrow keys

OK, strictly it is centre area not spot, I used the wrong word. Anyway, I'll try to go through it in words, if you can't understand (quite reasonably) I'll take some pics with the cameraphone.

Now the button on the 12-50 lens will return the focus zone to the centre when you press it. I find it useful because I tend to nudge the arrow keys without noticing and find the zone has moved without my wanting it. I have just learnt from this thread that only the 12-50 has this button but it's the only OM-D lens I have tried.

I always use centre weighted metering and centre focus then lock it and recompose because then I know what the camera is doing. I accept that it is an old fashioned way of working but if it's good enough for Leica it's good enough for me.

Once you are happy with your set up save it as a Myset, it can't be renamed to something useful unfortunately.

David Morison
21st March 2013, 05:15 PM
Yes it's three on the main body, not four, but five buttons on the main body including the right and down arrow buttons which have a more limited selection of settings than the three Fn buttons.

Not having an E-M5 here at the moment I would be interested to know if the B-Fn buttons on the battery grip mirror the main Fn buttons or can be programmed independently as extra Fn buttons. Anyone? :)

Ian

The Bfn do mirror the choices on the Fn buttons, it's only the arrow buttons that have minimal choices which is a shame as they area more convenient to the right thumb than the other buttons. The one function that cannot be assigned to a button that I really mis is IBIS.

David

El CID
24th March 2013, 08:13 AM

Tried these settings and find that when pressing the L-FN button it needs to be pressed twice, the first press takes the focus zone below and to the left of centre and the second press returns it to centre?
Any ideas?

spxxxx
28th March 2013, 03:22 PM
OK Guys

Camera has arrived and I've got my head round most thing - magnify / func etc but I've failed miserably on playback ...

When I take an image it shows in teh evf the small picture showing clipping with the histograms underneath and shooting data to the RHS

BUT

It doesn't show on the LCD .... also is there a way to have it auto show on the LCD after taking a picture but just a large image with the clipping ?

Thanks

spxxxx
28th March 2013, 03:52 PM
Have you read the manual ?
Yes I have but it is rather confusing and had I found the info I wouldn't have asked

Ian
28th March 2013, 04:06 PM
An oddity of the E-M5 is that you can only review images taken using the external screen, NOT through the viewfinder. You might have the view selection set to EVF only - there is a button near the eyepiece. Use the Info button to cycle through the different display modes for either playback or menus/live view. Once you have the display mode you prefer, it will stay on that mode until you change it again.

Ian

spxxxx
28th March 2013, 04:40 PM
An oddity of the E-M5 is that you can only review images taken using the external screen, NOT through the viewfinder. You might have the view selection set to EVF only - there is a button near the eyepiece. Use the Info button to cycle through the different display modes for either playback or menus/live view. Once you have the display mode you prefer, it will stay on that mode until you change it again.

Ian

Thanks Ian

OM USer
28th March 2013, 05:05 PM
OK Guys

When I take an image it shows in the evf...
BUT
It doesn't show on the LCD .... also is there a way to have it auto show on the LCD after taking a picture...?

Page 85. Setup Menu (Spanner) -> Rec View.
Off - Picture you just took is not displayed anywhere
0.3-20 Seconds - Picture you just took will be displayed where you were looking when you took the picture. Eg if looking through the viewfinder it will display there, if looking at the OLED rear screen it will display there. After the set time the picture will revert to normal sensor display. If you have the viewfinder set to auto switch then moving your eye from viewfinder to screen or screen to viewfinder will immediately cancel the timed picture viewing even if the time has not run out.
Auto - If viewing through the viewfinder the picture you just shot will be displayed in the viewfinder and shortly thereafter will display on the rear screen. Moving your eye away from the viewfinder will not cancel the picture display. However moving your eye back to the viewfinder will cancel the picture as it assumes you are going to want to take a new picture, as will a half press on the shutter).

Picture playback using the playback buton will only take place on the rear screen.

Press the playback button to review a picture.
No press the info button to cycle through the types of display - picture only, with date/time, with histogram and blinkies. Stop on the one you want.
This type of display will now be displayed next time the picture is shown (reviewed) immediately after taking a shot.
You can not cycle through these display options with the info button when reviewing a picture immediately after it is taken (only in playback mode). Pressing any buton will cancel the review and put you into picture taking mode (or menu mode if pressing menu button).

spxxxx
28th March 2013, 05:10 PM
Page 85. Setup Menu (Spanner) -> Rec View.
Off - Picture you just took is not displayed anywhere
0.3-20 Seconds - Picture you just took will be displayed where you were looking when you took the picture. Eg if looking through the viewfinder it will display there, if looking at the OLED rear screen it will display there. After the set time the picture will revert to normal sensor display. If you have the viewfinder set to auto switch then moving your eye from viewfinder to screen or screen to viewfinder will immediately cancel the timed picture viewing even if the time has not run out.
Auto - If viewing through the viewfinder the picture you just shot will be displayed in the viewfinder and shortly thereafter will display on the rear screen. Moving your eye away from the viewfinder will not cancel the picture display. However moving your eye back to the viewfinder will cancel the picture as it assumes you are going to want to take a new picture, as will a half press on the shutter).

Picture playback using the playback buton will only take place on the rear screen.

Ahhhh - lightbulb moment .... thanks !!

Ian
28th March 2013, 06:05 PM
Yes, I ought to clarify what I said before - a brief review of the picture you just took can be viewed through the eyepiece, but you can't review your recent shots that way. You are forced to use the screen.

Ian

spxxxx
28th March 2013, 10:39 PM
My question was not intended to be facetious.

Having followed this thread from your first post it is obvious you are having difficulty understanding or following the instruction manual, initially, when you did not have the camera to hand. You now apparently have the camera and there still seems to be a degree of confusion.

The reason I asked if you had read the manual stems from the fact I was seriously considering purchasing the E-M5. This thread which has highlighted an obvious failing in the Olympus manual, together with other threads regarding cracks and paint peeling off etc. on a camera with a price tag of approx. £1k has now made me think again.

If someone who's profile states he is a "Professional Wedding & Portrait Photographer" finds the supplied manual hard to follow and the E-M5 difficult to set up or program, then I feel there is not much hope for a basic hobbyist user such as Myself. From the photos and comments posted on this forum, I have no doubt the E-M5 is a brilliant camera but obviously comes with a degree of issues which I am not prepared to accept at this point in time.

I wish you luck with the hire camera while you have it and hope you enjoy the experience despite the difficulties.

Best regards,
John

John - don't be put off .... its just a completely different way of thinking that is all ...

I've now got everything as I would want it and understand the different buttons etc ... no doubt there are better setups but this will do me for the trial.

Everything new has a learning curve and this isn't anywhere near as bad as moving to digital from film

I'll either crash and burn or get some usable results - we will see :)

tomphotofx
28th March 2013, 11:34 PM
How to Custumize the Fn1/Fn2/Video*buttons
******Rate This

To help customize the Olympus E-M5 to suit your needs, you can setup 3 buttons for specific functions. The 3 buttons are:

Fn1
Fn2
Video Record
Many owners who have a good size stable of older manual focus lenses like to set Fn2 as a “Magnify” button. This is a very handy spot, being just to the right of the shutter button.

Many who like to take a light reading, and “Hold” it to re-frame, like to make the Red Video record button an Exposure Lock.. Using the Spot Meter for the reading area. Being just a small distance on the top deck from the shutter button, makes it convenient also..

And, I like Fn1 as the digital 2x option….

But, if you want to customize these 3 buttons and save them as a “My Camera #”, this allows you have several settings that are easily changed when needed.

OK, how do it?

Menu
Gears
>
B (Button/Dial)
OK
Button Function
OK
FN1/Fn2/Video
>
up/down arrow to pick function
OK (to set button to function)
To set the AEL to the spot meter:

Menu
Gears
>
E (Exp/ISO)
OK
AEL Metering
OK
Up/Down arrows to pick meter pattern (3rd option is the Spot Meter)
OK (to set the pattern)
BTW, if you change the Meter to Spot via the SCP before you use the AEL lock, you will see the effect as you move the spot around. The benefit of “Live View. Then you can just push the AEL button when you see the effect you want.

Copied from Olympus EM-5 Resource Blog.

Tom.

StephenL
29th March 2013, 02:41 PM
I think it's fair to say that the E-M5 has a multitude of setting options. Which confuse when tried to assimilate in one go. I found from experience that getting the camera set the way you want is evolutionary. Change it a bit at a time. If in doubt, reset to manufacturers settings and start again. Once you HAVE found a combination of settings you are happy with, assign it to a Myset so you can go back there if you decide to fiddle again! But don't try to do everything at once.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've had mine for 2 weeks shy of a year now. It was in the first batch to be imported. The screen bezel is not cracked. The paint is rubbing off in one place only, and I know why. It's where one of my camera strap's metal clips rubs. My fault entirely. And I'm still discovering new settings, but I love it dearly.

spxxxx
29th March 2013, 08:38 PM
OK - all good to go for the wedding tomorrow !

I've ditched the idea of using the strobes as I can't get them to sync using PW Mini and flex and only own one old Plus II

No sync port either on the camera - so that's out

I've read that Phottix Strato II for Canon work fine with studio strobes or iShoot triggers - so will look in to them at a later date if I pursue the camera after the test

Ian
30th March 2013, 09:13 AM
Olympus is regularly criticised for an over-complicated user interface, but to give them credit they have provided options to hide that complexity for people who aren't interested in lots of custom settings. I, personally, prefer a complex system that offers lots of options that is accessible when needed.

Ian

Jetset95
30th March 2013, 02:24 PM
I don't think the OM-D system function-for-function is any more complicated than say a Panasonic Lumix G body, it's just that it has a lot more to offer than a simple G and so needs to be more complex.

I had a chance to see the Panny GH3 before it was released, and that had just as many options as the OM-D - more in some cases - and I'm sure would take a new user with no Panny menu experience a while to learn.

I'd love to be able to contribute more to this thread from the using the OM-D perspective, but mines away having it's cracked bezel fixed and I'm starting to forget what it looked like...

James

spxxxx
31st March 2013, 01:50 PM
Ok so I survived .. and here are a few thoughts which may, or may not interest people....

All these are just my observations

The buttons are too small for fast paced weddings - and even finding the buttons without looking (especially the 4 way controller) proved interesting

The EVF is excellent and I love how the image with histograms etc is displayed after a shot

Altering everything again through the EVF and SCP is very quick

The flash F50R did a good job but unbalances the camera and it uses batteries quicker than I'm used to. Perhaps the new 600 is better

The lens was excellent and pretty quick to focus - but moving object/people was still a challenge even using the S-AF and one swift press.

High ISO is pretty good - but not close to my D3s - but not too bad for 99% of work

AF speed in good light was very very quick - but in low light it was pretty problematical, but the venue was dark.

The files were pretty good to work with but without the same room for tweaking that I get with mine - but that was to be expected - LR also only gives one choice of camera calibration - Adobe Standard - which is never the best so it would need a custom profile creating to get the best out of it, again though I do this for all my other cameras so it isn't an issue.

Overall I think the next generation will hopefully put it right up there with the standard and quality of files that I'm used to. Again if constant AF is tweaked it would be helpful as well. So I'll be watching closely on details as they emerge of the upgrade.

Here are a couple from the wedding and more can be seen at www.simonrevill.com/blog (http://www.simonrevill.com/birmingham-wedding-photography-lizzie-and-dan-and-the-olympus-om-d/) and I'd like to thank all those that were so helpful

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Wedding-Photography-001.jpg

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Wedding-Photography-012.jpg

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Wedding-Photography-018.jpg

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Wedding-Photography-030.jpg

Thanks

Simon