PDA

View Full Version : MF happenings

David Morison
19th March 2013, 05:16 PM
If I am using the E-M5 on a non Olympus super-telephoto with MF I notice that when focused the image goes slightly blurred every second or so. This happens whether I am using EVF or LV. It can't be an IS phenomena, this is switched off as the outfit is on a tripod. Strangely this doesn't appear to be the case with the Canon 7D in LV mounted on the same lens and using the same magnification factor (x10). Is the fact that the sensor on the E-M5 is supported by the magnetic positioning system for the IS whereas the Canon sensor is fixed? I no longer have an E5 but I don't recall this happening when using with MF and LV on that camera. I have been wondering why a high percentage of images are oof even when I've checked the focus manually time and time again.

Any ideas? Is it worth asking Olympus Technical Services?

Thanks

David

StephenL
19th March 2013, 06:23 PM
I wonder if it's worth a wee experiment by leaving IS on whilst on the tripod?

David Morison
19th March 2013, 06:36 PM
It was while I had IS on, by mistake, that I first noticed this then I switched it off which made no difference.

David

brian1208
19th March 2013, 07:05 PM
Not something I have noticed with any of my MF lenses (180mm to 500mm)

The only time I've ever had anything remotely like it is with poor stabilisation if I forgot to reset the correct focal length in IS, but you are working off the tripod and with IS off or on you are seeing the same effect, most odd?

Imageryone
19th March 2013, 07:18 PM
Perhaps you need another tripod/monopod to support the camera body?
I remember reading years ago about Point of Balance in using long lenses, but the little grey cells can't recall the whole thing.

Tordan58
2nd April 2013, 09:34 AM
I have noticed the same behavior when using on my 600mm scope, quite pronounced.

There is a setting where the IS engagement can be changed (IS all the time or IS when pressing the shutter button). I played with that setting and the image in the LV is now no longer blurring.

/Tord

Tordan58
3rd April 2013, 12:14 PM
David,

Maybe you should have a look at this post on DPReview forum:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3196133#forum-post-41411509

--- Quote ---
Stabilised viewfinder is enabled by turning On the option "Half Way Rls With IS" in Custom Menu C. For allowing you to half-press the shutter to get the stabilised viewfinder even with a magnified view, you need to turn "LV Close Up Mode" to "mode2" in Custom Menu D. You may also want to turn on the IBIS in sequential shooting by setting the "Sequential shooting + IS Off" to "Off" in Custom Menu C."
--- End quote ---