PDA

View Full Version : Possible OM-D convert with a couple of questions

spxxxx
17th March 2013, 09:46 AM
Morning

I'm a professional wedding photographer and am looking at swopping to the OM-D system for my work.

I've had a loan of the Fuji X-Pro1 kit but TBH the focus speed would rule it out.

I'm sorting out renting the OM-D and lenses as my brief use of it has just about convinced me it is the way to go for a lighter quality setup.

I have a couple of questions

1. Currently use PW and Profoto packs to do some of my wedding work and use hypersync to extend usable shutter speeds up to 1/2000 - enabling me to overpower the sun etc.

Anyone know if this can be done with the OM-D using PW (Nikon) or any other trigger

2. Ballpark quality print size .... full length couple with good detail ... what are people enlarging to for print with OM-D files

Thanks

Simon

brian1208
17th March 2013, 10:51 AM
Can't help with the first part but

2. Ballpark quality print size .... full length couple with good detail ... what are people enlarging to for print with OM-D files

I print to A3+ myself on an Epson R3000 and have larger images to 24"X16" printed on a canon 6300 by a friend who runs a print & frame shop.

These are for sale via Gallery and Craft-fairs and I currently have an exhibition running with a mix of prints from the EM-5 and canon bodies such the 5Dmk2 and 60D.

Customers can't tell which system the prints come from at these sizes

I reckon it is possible to pick out fine detail differences between 5Dmk2 output and the EM-5 in some cases, but its "Nose on the paper" type inspection to do so

spxxxx
17th March 2013, 10:57 AM

I print to A3+ myself on an Epson R3000 and have larger images to 24"X16" printed on a canon 6300 by a friend who runs a print & frame shop.

These are for sale via Gallery and Craft-fairs and I currently have an exhibition running with a mix of prints from the EM-5 and canon bodies such the 5Dmk2 and 60D.

I reckon it is possible to pick out fine detail differences between 5Dmk2 output and the EM-5 in some cases, but its "Nose on the paper" type inspection to do so

Thanks Brian - much apopreciated

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 11:34 AM
Hi Simon. I use an FL-50 with my OM-D. I too have come from a Nikon background (D300 + SB800). The FL-50 has the same high speed sync mode. However, in TTL mode, the preflash and subsequent delay is significant - definitely less capable than Nikon. Not sure how the newer 'R' versions of the flashes work out though.

However, I find the OM-D and flash bracket much easier to handle than the D300. I either use a Gary Fong type diffuser or a Demb Flip-It clone indoors.

Of course, the OM-D can almost be used in TLR mode for landscape orientated shots and with a remote release and tripod makes for easier group shots.

spxxxx
17th March 2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Simon. I use an FL-50 with my OM-D. I too have come from a Nikon background (D300 + SB800). The FL-50 has the same high speed sync mode. However, in TTL mode, the preflash and subsequent delay is significant - definitely less capable than Nikon. Not sure how the newer 'R' versions of the flashes work out though.

However, I find the OM-D and flash bracket much easier to handle than the D300. I either use a Gary Fong type diffuser or a Demb Flip-It clone indoors.

Of course, the OM-D can almost be used in TLR mode for landscape orientated shots and with a remote release and tripod makes for easier group shots.

Thanks Simon

I too use the flip-it so that is good

I'm more interested on the strobe sync speed and finding a way so that the trigger can utilise hypersync and use the tail of the pack light so I can sync at much higher speeds like I do now using Pocket Wizard

Then I can get shots like this in full sun

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Bolsover-Castle-Wedding-Photography-026.jpg

http://www.simonrevill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/999999.jpg

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 06:59 PM
Nice images! Yes, those outdoor shots can be tricky when you are trying to balance ambient and fill. ISO200 minimum is a touch high really. In FP mode, the FL-50R will sync up to maximum shutter speed but with significant reduction in light output. I've yet to research how the E-M5 will work with triggers and flashes in manual mode though.

spxxxx
17th March 2013, 07:01 PM
I've sent an email to Olympus to see if they can give any info ....

Greenjacket6202
17th March 2013, 07:46 PM

I too have printed A3+. On a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 mk 2 with very good results!

Sold my Canon 5D mk3 and all my L lenses! No regrets!

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 09:23 PM
I found this http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157631523525204/ which may or may not help.

Chevvyf1
17th March 2013, 09:26 PM
I've sent an email to Olympus to see if they can give any info ....

Do take a look at posts from Seidonnah in the lounge ... he prints v large from OM-D:D

spxxxx
17th March 2013, 10:05 PM
I found this http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157631523525204/ which may or may not help.

That looks interesting but is still using flash not strobes

gregles
18th March 2013, 08:25 PM
Have a look here, I think this may be what you are looking for but of course I could be on the wrong track completely:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trm42/

The first two pics.

Greg

Ian
18th March 2013, 09:09 PM
Morning

I'm a professional wedding photographer and am looking at swopping to the OM-D system for my work.

I've had a loan of the Fuji X-Pro1 kit but TBH the focus speed would rule it out.

I'm sorting out renting the OM-D and lenses as my brief use of it has just about convinced me it is the way to go for a lighter quality setup.

I have a couple of questions

1. Currently use PW and Profoto packs to do some of my wedding work and use hypersync to extend usable shutter speeds up to 1/2000 - enabling me to overpower the sun etc.

Anyone know if this can be done with the OM-D using PW (Nikon) or any other trigger

Thanks

Simon

I have printed A2 from a Panasonic GH1 (12 megapixels) and the E-M5 has a significantly better sensor all round. I still have tone particuar A2 print and it reminds my of a really good print from medium format. You can make excellent A4 or A3 prints from quite extreme crops, too.

Not experienced with the trigger system so can't help with that.

Ian

spxxxx
18th March 2013, 09:10 PM
Have a look here, I think this may be what you are looking for but of course I could be on the wrong track completely:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trm42/

The first two pics.

Greg

Thanks Greg

I think that again is using the standard flash not strobes

Ian
18th March 2013, 09:12 PM
Nice images! Yes, those outdoor shots can be tricky when you are trying to balance ambient and fill. ISO200 minimum is a touch high really. In FP mode, the FL-50R will sync up to maximum shutter speed but with significant reduction in light output. I've yet to research how the E-M5 will work with triggers and flashes in manual mode though.

You could use multiple FL-50R units in FP mode - they can be controlled using a the mini add-on flash bundled with the E-M5.

Ian

spxxxx
18th March 2013, 09:15 PM
You could use multiple FL-50R units in FP mode - they can be controlled using a the mini add-on flash bundled with the E-M5.

Ian

Thanks Ian - I used to use 2 flashes in a Kacey dish ... but I now use a mola euro gridded and need the 1100w of the profoto packs for the mid day images

I'm wondering if a ND filter might be the answer if nothing else turns up - but aren't sure how this effects the EVF etc

spxxxx
19th March 2013, 01:13 PM
Well I heard back from Olympus - but they weren't any help on the usage with strobes :(

Ian
19th March 2013, 01:16 PM
Can you describe the technical requirements and limitations of your strobe setup and maybe I can help you work out whether it has a chance of working?

Ian

spxxxx
19th March 2013, 01:32 PM
Can you describe the technical requirements and limitations of your strobe setup and maybe I can help you work out whether it has a chance of working?

Ian

Ian

What I need to do is to be able to exceed the normal sync speed of the O-MD to allow syncing with strobes at around 1/2000

At the moment I use Pockwizard Mini TT1 and Flex TT5 to join my Nikon to my Profoto strobe pack. Using PW's hypersync I can tweak the sync to use the strobes tail and peak light and in effect offset the shutter to get clean images at 1/2000 (you do loose a little power but the packs start with 1100w)

Before I used this system I was always trying to beat the sun and using silly f stops on the lenses and hitting diffraction and soft images.

Now it may still not be a deal breaker if I can figure out how the OMD reacts in use to ND filters - i.e does the EVF cope / is it too dark to see etc etc

Ian
19th March 2013, 01:37 PM
I can deal with the EVF first - in normal use the EVF will compensate and brighten the image to aid viewing so in fact you will see a brighter view than with a DSLR optical finder. In manual exposure mode the EVF view will act as an exposure preview so the image could be darker or brighter according to your adjustments.

Is the Pocketwizard dependent on dedicated terminals on the host camera's hot shoe or does it work via a PC/sync trigger?

Ian

spxxxx
19th March 2013, 01:56 PM
I can deal with the EVF first - in normal use the EVF will compensate and brighten the image to aid viewing so in fact you will see a brighter view than with a DSLR optical finder. In manual exposure mode the EVF view will act as an exposure preview so the image could be darker or brighter according to your adjustments.

Is the Pocketwizard dependent on dedicated terminals on the host camera's hot shoe or does it work via a PC/sync trigger?

Ian

I use the camera in manual - so that would mean everything was darker

The PW Mini TT1 transmitter doesn't seem to have a way of connecting an external cable and just uses the hot shoe connector - but a normal PW Plus II transmitter does

The transceiver Flex TT5 does have external cable ports and can be used as transmitter or receiver

Bikie John
19th March 2013, 02:25 PM
Maybe you could try hiring one from Ian's excellent hire service? If you're planning to use it professionally, maybe it would be worth a trip down the M1 so you & Ian could get together with your strobe kit and try some stuff out?

I don't want to lumber either of you with commitments, of course :) But this looks to me like one of those challenges that can be solved much more quickly by trying it out than talking about it.

Good luck, anyway ... John

Ian
19th March 2013, 02:38 PM
I think he has booked an E-M5 :)

In Manual mode I am sure you can program a function button to bring back a normalised brightness or even use a different mode to compose and switch to manual to shoot. It may be possible to shoot manual with a brighter view - I am looking into that.

Ian

RJM
19th March 2013, 03:18 PM
I can't help with your query but I remember reading a great article from professional wedding photographer that used three OM-D cameras, each with different lenses.

He carried them all at the same time as it saved him changing lenses.

The cost of buying three was cheaper than buying one Nikon!

And, as you know, it's difficult to beat the fast auto focus on the OM-D.

Let us know how you get on.

spxxxx
19th March 2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone - yes I've arranged hire so will be trying to overcome this whilst testing the camera out.

I have spoken to the wedding guy that uses three - and he is most passionate about the OM-D abilities

RJM
19th March 2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone - yes I've arranged hire so will be trying to overcome this whilst testing the camera out.

I have spoken to the wedding guy that uses three - and he is most passionate about the OM-D abilities

Wow! You're doing your homework.

Good luck.

spxxxx
19th March 2013, 04:38 PM
Wow! You're doing your homework.

Good luck.

You have to where business and money is concerned :)

RJM
19th March 2013, 04:47 PM
True!

I bought the OM-D without seeing it in the flesh. I saw an article by Damian McGillicuddy (grand Master photographer) and it got me hooked. I then scoured the Internet on it, and the more I read the more I knew it was for me.

I bought the camera, kit lens, battery grip, 32 GB 95m/b sec San Disk SD card for a few quid over a grand, shipped.

Best money I ever spent. I've had so much fun. The IBIS alone is astonishing!