PDA

View Full Version : Metz 52 AF-1

AJ40
12th March 2013, 05:45 PM
as I'm sitting still waiting for delivery of my OM-D, I've been looking at flash guns.
was wondering opinions on the Metz 52 AF-1.?

Thanks

Seonnaidh
12th March 2013, 05:50 PM
Well I'm afraid I am very anti Metz. Over the years I've had several go wrong on me.
One going wrong several times. These were the top of the range hammerhead guns
and were very expensive.
The Metz gun you mention is owned by a friend and again I'm not impressed, build quality is flimsy and the menu settings all seem a bit vague. But that might just be me.
A flashgun I am very fond of is the new Olympus FL600r it's a stonking wee flashgun.
However I do know that many forum members have had good experiences with their Metz products, unfortunately not me.

brian1208
12th March 2013, 05:52 PM
my experiences have been the same with metz (although I have the metz macro-flash and so far its working OK, if a bit limited in functionality)

another vote for the FL600R with the EM-5

AJ40
12th March 2013, 08:03 PM
Well I'm afraid I am very anti Metz. Over the years I've had several go wrong on me.
One going wrong several times. These were the top of the range hammerhead guns
and were very expensive.
The Metz gun you mention is owned by a friend and again I'm not impressed, build quality is flimsy and the menu settings all seem a bit vague. But that might just be me.
A flashgun I am very fond of is the new Olympus FL600r it's a stonking wee flashgun.
However I do know that many forum members have had good experiences with their Metz products, unfortunately not me.

my experiences have been the same with metz (although I have the metz macro-flash and so far its working OK, if a bit limited in functionality)

another vote for the FL600R with the EM-5

Ahh that has put me right of the Metz. I will have a look at the olympus model just had a quick look and it isnt cheap :( but then I guess you get what you pay for.
Thanks again ;)

Alpha1
13th March 2013, 08:44 AM
I can also confirm that the FL600R is a great flash unit and as you would expect works perfectly with the OM-D.

AJ40
13th March 2013, 08:53 PM
well it looks like thats the way to go I will add the FL600R to my shopping list ;)

Simon Hickie
16th March 2013, 11:36 AM
If you are happy with a used gun, the Olympus FL-50 packs quite a punch.

AJ40
17th March 2013, 02:39 PM
If you are happy with a used gun, the Olympus FL-50 packs quite a punch.

I would sooner get new to be honest. Just incase it dies on me, and I would have no warranty.

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 02:48 PM
True, although I got mine from Ffordes complete with 6 months warranty.

AJ40
17th March 2013, 02:51 PM
True, although I got mine from Ffordes complete with 6 months warranty.
Ahh, that isn't so bad then. would be more tempted with a six month warranty.
would you happen to have any example shots taken with OM-D and the FL-50 and what sort of price, would I be looking at for one secondhand ?

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 03:30 PM
OK, will do - I've got to dig out a suitable one. Something to consider is that there are two auto modes: TTL & AUTO. The former does a preflash, the latter does not. TTL flash supports auto ISO, AUTO does not. I believe the METZ flash supports TTL flash only - so you have to put up with a pre-flash which may or may not cause your subjects to blink and cause a slight delay. I tend to use AUTO for humans and animals. Ffordes have one for £149 I think.

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 04:10 PM
Attached is an image using OM-D and the FL-50. I dialed in -2EV on the camera to give some outside detail and +3EV on the 'gun to balance the flash. Flash bounced using Gary Fong Lightsphere clone. I find the flash usually needs about +1EV. The OM-D can be set up to sum the flash and ambient exposure compensation - I do flash compensation on the 'gun and set up the rear dial on the OM-D for ambient exposure compensation.

AJ40
17th March 2013, 05:20 PM
Attached is an image using OM-D and the FL-50. I dialed in -2EV on the camera to give some outside detail and +3EV on the 'gun to balance the flash. Flash bounced using Gary Fong Lightsphere clone. I find the flash usually needs about +1EV. The OM-D can be set up to sum the flash and ambient exposure compensation - I do flash compensation on the 'gun and set up the rear dial on the OM-D for ambient exposure compensation.
Really appreciate you posting an image for me looks good ;)
I think I might go for one of these:) also it is the cheapest option and I'm running out of funds now lol

Dont know much about Flash photography any suggested reading ?

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 06:00 PM
http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/ is a good place to start.

Also try googling 'Neil van Niekerk'

A key thing to remember is to make the light source as large as possible by bouncing if possible. I bounce off walls and ceilings and use a bit of fill from card or diffuser. Try googling 'A better bounce card' for a very cheap start.

Also, consider the FL-36. Less power though and longer recycling. Power is King with bounced flash photography. I try to dig out a recent person picture using bounce with a bit of forward fill.

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 06:18 PM
Below is a quick and dirty example of the auctioneer Charles Hanson (Bargain Hunt etc.) in action at a fund raising event for my camera club. Note the diffused shadows due to using a Gary Fong Lightsphere clone (7dayshop). Also note the poor flash technique - flash shadow to the side in portrait mode due to not having the flash above the camera.

I also use a 'Diffusit' from http://www.diffuseit.co.uk/ in conjunction with bounced flash.

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 06:29 PM
Finally a shot using the FL-50 with ceiling bounce and a little forward fill from the Diffuseit. Note the absence of horrid shadows plus a useful little bit of modelling on the face. I think I needed about +1EV again dialed in on the flashgun. I used the 45mm f1.8 at f8 and ISO 400. I could have gotten away with ISO200 and f2, but I was just messing around with the kids.

AJ40
17th March 2013, 06:47 PM
Finally a shot using the FL-50 with ceiling bounce and a little forward fill from the Diffuseit. Note the absence of horrid shadows plus a useful little bit of modelling on the face. I think I needed about +1EV again dialed in on the flashgun. I used the 45mm f1.8 at f8 and ISO 400. I could have gotten away with ISO200 and f2, but I was just messing around with the kids.

So you couldn't get away with ISO200 with at F8? I was assuming that all flash photography would be ISO100/200..shows how little i know :D

Bounced flash is the way to go. Such even lighting, and as you said no horrible shadows. you've done well to get your son to let you take a pic, my son -about the same age- runs for the hills as soon as the cameras out lol My daughter will model when she's in the mood but now starts by saying you know that film I wanted to see!

thanks again for the info really appreciate you sorting out some examples *chr

Simon Hickie
17th March 2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks AJ. My house has high ceilings! However, ISO200 & f8 would probably have been fine. I was thinking f2 for more depth of field control. For off camera flash, a flash cord is useful too.