PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Studio 2.0, any good?

dennisg
5th August 2008, 12:57 AM
I have tried Master that came with my Olympus 520 and it is not a bad photo editing program. In fact the 8x10s that I have printed on my Canon S9000-six color printer were exceptional. So with that said, I would like a little more capability than what Master offers.

In the past several days I have seasrched the web to see if there were any objective reviews for Studio, but most were sideliners and not very indepth. For $99 American, it dosen't seem to be a bad deal, but like most of us, I want to hear some good things first before I invest in the software package.

So is there anyone utilizing Studio 2.0 and do you have any issues or comments about this software package?

Thanks for the help!

Dennis G*chr

StephenL
5th August 2008, 06:58 AM
Yes, it's not a bad little program for the money. Quite basic, but capable of delivering good colours quite quickly. I must admit I'm a little confused at the differences between editing a Raw file and the "normal" editing mode, but then I've not got round to reading the instructions! As you say, for the money it's worthy of a tinker.

Ray Shotter
5th August 2008, 09:33 AM
So is there anyone utilizing Studio 2.0 and do you have any issues or comments about this software package?

Dennis G*chr

Dennis,

I have been using Olympus Studio 2 for approximately 8 months now in conjunction with Olympus Master 2 and have found the combination excellent for my purposes. Originally I was using Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 but found that although it could handle my E-1 Raw files it couldn't cope with my E-510 or my E-3 Raw files. So not wishing to upgrade to Elements 5 or 6 I decided to go for Studio 2.

Studio 2 is not as sophisticated as Adobe Elements but once you get used to the different icons and processes it is a very good editing and adjustment software. One of its features is the ability to process "batch" files which Elements cannot do and I find the colour reproduction excellent. If you wish to superimpose text on your photographs before printing then you need to do that in Master 2 first. Although you can insert the date of a photograph on your prints if you are using your own printer directly from Studio 2.

I don't pretend to have discovered all the facilities available but in terms of adjusting brightness/contrast, sharpening, cropping, levelling, correcting lens distortion etc.. I find it very easy to use and very effective.

I have no plans to buy the next upgrade of Elements in order to cope with the changes in Olympus Raw files since Olympus Studio 2 and Master 2 do it all very satisfactorily.

Ray.

dennisg
5th August 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the great information! I agree that the program is simple and the learning curve was not that steep at all. With what was stated, I will in the near future buy Studio 2.0 and stick to a program that I can use instead of jumping all over the place and not getting a full solution. It's nice to be able to use an application that is repetitive and brings satisfying results each and every time.

Dennis G:o

dennisg
11th August 2008, 12:32 AM
Well folks I downloaded a trial version of Studio 2.0 from the CD-ROM that came with my E520 this weekend. I was really expecting that Studio would be a bit more agile and I would be able not to worry about a program that couldn't open the .ORF format. Well the later did pan out.

The program is very slow. I have an Athlon 64 bit processor with 128 MEG video card and 2 MEGS of RAM, and running XP SP3. When you want to do a process within the program, the processing percentage dialouge box comes on and it takes a while for the cammand to complete.

The other issue that I have, is that there are just TOO many sharpening, shadow and other options that are duplicated on the tool box window. One side is for general manipulation and then there is a RAW tab. Beats the hell out of me which sharpening and other tools to use.

Most of these programs don't come with rulers so that when you crop a file, you can crop an 8x10, 5x7, etc. I tried to see if I could change in the preferences of unit of measure; pixels, mm, inches, but did not see this option and no rulers.

One thing that I would give the program is that when you are in the print window, you can change the size of the print in the lower right hand corner. BUT, if you don't proportion it when you edit it, then you are using whatever the increase and or decrease in size because both length and width are tied together. So an odd ball size comes out. In Jasc Paint Shop Pro and the new Corel versions, you can change the print size and the pixels per inch. Yes I do know that if the file doesn't have enough information, the program will interpolate the needed pixels from adjacent pixels in the file. Nevertheless, it can be done within reason.

So I am going to stick with Master which might have less in its toolbox, but is much faster and doesn't have repetitive tools to use and waste time experimenting.

I have gone to the Photo East Expo here in New York City and have asked DXO when they are going to belly up to bar with an Olympus version of their program. This program seems to be very nice and I suggest you go to their website and watch some of the videoos. It looks as if the program does a whole bunch of analysis and then applies ALL the needed corrections both in the JPEG and RAW file formats and the price is on par with other offerings. Plus you can do whatever your heart desires as well.

So that is it from over on this side of the pond on a Sunday evening. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced program other than an Adobe product?

Thanks for listening!!!

Dennis G:(

Hiding_Pup
11th August 2008, 01:20 AM
I never got on with the Studio 2 interface. I might have tried harder, as I liked the results from Studio 1 which I used (slow but anything on my computer was slow), but then Lightroom 2 came along and I was hooked.

dennisg
11th August 2008, 01:24 AM
Since you are using Lighroom 2, how nimble is it and do you watch things happen after you click OK?

Is Lightroom intuitive and does the results merit the cost?

Thanks for your quick reply!!

Dennis G
*chr

StephenL
11th August 2008, 05:00 AM
I must admit I find neither Studio2 nor Lightroom slow, and I like the results from either. Lightroom is more intuitive; however what I don't like about LR is the database/file organisation side of things.

HughofBardfield
11th August 2008, 12:30 PM
I must admit I find neither Studio2 or Lightroom slow, and I like the results from either. Lightroom is more intuitive; however what I don't like about LR is the database/file organisation side of things.

It all comes down to personal preference really. The database side is one of the things I really like about LR, and why I've been a user since the public beta of LR1 in early 2007. A few people are finding the new LR2.0 runs slowly, but I suspect Adobe will be issuing an update fairly soon (based on past performance). Given the variety of platforms out there, I'm sometimes surprised things run at all - even after a lengthy public beta.

Some people I know prefer Bibble, some RawTherapee (free!), some Silkypix and some UFRAW with The GIMP (also free!). There are a few fans of Lightzone too (I like it for B&W myself). The people who like Master / Studio on other forums frequently cite the "Olympus colours" it can produce, but these can be replicated as presets in other programmes. I tried Master / Studio and didn't like it. In fact, I resent having to keep it on my PC to update firmware!

dennisg
11th August 2008, 02:32 PM
I get the gist of what you are stating! Some of these applications are way above what is really needed. I think a program that allows the user to achieve good photographs utilizing the basics of photography should be the first and foremost reason to use it. All of the filters, etc. should be secondary along with massive database tasks.

Last month I purchased Arcsoft's Digital Studio Darkroom 1.5 and although not feature rich, you can get great results with it. The current version 1.7.0.110 does not support the E520, but supports earlier Exxx models. The E520 support will be available shortly There is a curve and level adjustments, loads of exposure adjustments, lens distortion correction, cropping, sharpening, and noise control. The speed is realitively quick also. You can zoom in 1:1 and using the magnifying glass zoom in even closer. There is a split window also to compare the results of your edits. Last there is a highlight and shadow button that indicates where in the photograph there are blown out areas as well as shadow problems. Through the curve and levels you can actually see these disappear as long as you haven't blown out the highlights and shadow areas. Pictures can be saved in JPEG, TIF, and I think PNG file formats recognized by Adobe.

For $99 American it is simple but it does not offer layers. So maybe in the future they will incorporate this tool as well. What I like about the program, you get in, do your stuff, and you are ready to go! I'd rather spend my time behind the camera rather than hours and hours behind the PC. Hey we spend so much money on these rigs, why are we adding to the cost in time? Seems a little backwards.

Let's keep the discussion going! I really enjoy these vollies!

Dennis G

Graham_of_Rainham
11th August 2008, 03:39 PM
Is anyone using the camera control and PC link features? If they are I'd be interested to know how well they work.

*chr