PDA

View Full Version : Everything is coming up Roses

Nick Temple-Fry
4th August 2008, 09:50 PM
This is another image which I like, but I know I shouldn't.

It seems to break all the rules

1) It is not a perfect rose
2) It hasn't got symmetry
3) There are no strong leading lines/diagonals
4) Totally ignores the rule of thirds.

I probably couldn't have made more 'mistakes' if I had tried.

So have I lost what vestiges of taste/discrimination I may have had.

Or does it actually work?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/cominguproses1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7425)

E-3, 50-200, EC1.4, Master, The GIMP.

Nick

Nick Temple-Fry
5th August 2008, 05:34 PM
Ah - I've discovered the thirds - they were staring me in the face.

Maybe I can stop feeling guilty about liking this shot.

Nick

Ellie
5th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Well I like it too, even though I'd probably have crammed the flower closer to the left had edge because that's the sort of thing I do. I love the colours - the way the central petals seem to shine, and the detail too, also the way it's against a dark background.

I can see the 'thirds' too. ;)

Nick Temple-Fry
5th August 2008, 10:33 PM
Well I like it too, even though I'd probably have crammed the flower closer to the left had edge because that's the sort of thing I do. I love the colours - the way the central petals seem to shine, and the detail too, also the way it's against a dark background.

I can see the 'thirds' too. ;)

Thank you Ellie, it took me ages to realise I'd divided the image into vertical strips on the third lines, even though the image has the shape and look I intended when I shot it (and how often that isn't true).

Good to see you back on the the board, I wonder if you have any new images to share?

Nick

Ellie
5th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Thank you Ellie, it took me ages to realise I'd divided the image into vertical strips on the third lines, even though the image has the shape and look I intended when I shot it (and how often that isn't true).

Good to see you back on the the board, I wonder if you have any new images to share?

Nick
Thanks Nick, and you're right about the way you took that picture, sometime "the rules" are there without even realising it.

Other people's pictures always seem to be so much better than mine so I only seem to add anything for a challenge. I'll have to dig some out though, I've got loads that could do with an airing, even if they're only really holiday snaps.

knikki
6th August 2008, 07:49 AM
There are rules? :confused:

I like the image it works for me, like the light and the way you have 'posed' it. In fact might have to nick the idea :eek: *chr

Nick Temple-Fry
6th August 2008, 11:04 AM
There are rules? :confused:

I like the image it works for me, like the light and the way you have 'posed' it. In fact might have to nick the idea :eek: *chr

"I think they are more like guidelines" said Ridcully (apologies to Pratchett fans).

Thank you

Be my guest.

Nick

OlyPaul
8th August 2008, 09:47 AM
Nick I'm a big fan of the use of negative space and with this one I would have prefered to see even more ,2/3rds instead of 1/3rd. :)

Nick Temple-Fry
8th August 2008, 09:56 AM
Nick I'm a big fan of the use of negative space and with this one I would have prefered to see even more ,2/3rds instead of 1/3rd. :)

Not 100% sure I see what you mean - by negative space I assume you mean background areas, in which case are you suggesting more each side of the rose - or more in front (rhs).

Thanks

Nick

OlyPaul
8th August 2008, 10:05 AM
yep..more on the r/h side. :)

Nick Temple-Fry
8th August 2008, 10:13 AM
yep..more on the r/h side. :)

Ahh - well there is a problem trying that as I shot this 'portrait' and it is quite a minimimal crop of the original.

I can see what you mean - but I'll have to shoot it and process it before I'm totally convinced. Though I suspect it will be quite effective.

Thanks

Nick