PDA

View Full Version : East coast sunrise ft a tractor

fulhamphil
4th August 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone, following the success? of my east coast sunrise, i'm now getting brave and posting my follow up effort taken a few yards from the boat image just after sunrise. All critique is gratefully accepted. I will be the first to critiscise by saying i should of used a smaller aperture than f5.6, perhaps f11? http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/east_coast_tractor.jpg

Graham_of_Rainham
4th August 2008, 08:23 PM
I really like the yellow of this and the early light adds to that nicely. I'd have gone for one from an even lower viewpoint to give the tractor a even more massive presence. Also either crop the LHS or move the viewpoint to the left to fill the empty space.

Good on you for getting up early, we see so much of the last light of the day that we forget the fantastic light of a new day.

Well Done

*chr

E-P1 fan
4th August 2008, 09:48 PM
Is that Dunwich?

Nick Temple-Fry
4th August 2008, 10:07 PM
I like the tractor, boat and shingles. The positioning/angle makes for an interesting shot.

However I feel the sky low down is too bright (especially on the rhs) and, for me, this lets the shot down.

Not sure how to overcome this, as a filter wouldn't have worked with that composition. Maybe 3 or more different exposures and a 'conservative' use of hdr. (if this was shot raw that may be worth trying).

Nick

fulhamphil
5th August 2008, 02:13 PM
Is that Dunwich?

It's at a place called Weybourne which is about 8 miles north of sheringham, it's very similar to Dunwich.

fulhamphil
5th August 2008, 04:13 PM
I like the tractor, boat and shingles. The positioning/angle makes for an interesting shot.

However I feel the sky low down is too bright (especially on the rhs) and, for me, this lets the shot down.

Not sure how to overcome this, as a filter wouldn't have worked with that composition. Maybe 3 or more different exposures and a 'conservative' use of hdr. (if this was shot raw that may be worth trying).

Nick

Hi Nick, I had a little play around in my trial version of photomatix, is it better? it certainly remeded the bright sky to across the bottom.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/east_coast_sunrise_ft_tractor_hdr.jpg

yorky
5th August 2008, 04:22 PM
Maybe something in between the two would be more realisic

Nick Temple-Fry
5th August 2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Nick, I had a little play around in my trial version of photomatix, is it better? it certainly remeded the bright sky to across the bottom.

The problem I have with photomatix (which I use on occaisions) is that you have to be really good to stop it doing too much. I think it has done too much on this sky, but it has certainly proved that the information is there.

Nick

HughofBardfield
5th August 2008, 06:04 PM
I actually quite like the "HDR" version, although it's created a bit of a halo around the cab and boat, and of course the windows have ended up too light.

I think it probably needs to be reconstructed in Photoshop - with the HDR sky underlying the tractor on a separate layer, and maybe the windows given a bit of "burn" to suggest tinted glass... but I'm not a PS expert, so it's a lot easier said than done! I would also want to try and straighten the verticals a bit, but that's just me.

I have a number of images like this that are so irritatingly nearly there and have sufficient promise that I keep returning to them and tweaking... and tweaking... and tweaking.

Ellie
5th August 2008, 10:35 PM
There's quite a difference between the two images, I'm not sure which I prefer.

fulhamphil
6th August 2008, 04:39 PM
I actually prefer the colour of the tractor in the hdr version and everything else in the original version, i to like Hughofbardfield am not too clever on the ps side of things, so combining the bits i like would cause me some problems, if any one wants to have a go you have my blessing, regards, Phil

Nick Temple-Fry
6th August 2008, 04:49 PM
I actually prefer the colour of the tractor in the hdr version and everything else in the original version, i to like Hughofbardfield am not too clever on the ps side of things, so combining the bits i like would cause me some problems, if any one wants to have a go you have my blessing, regards, Phil

Actually I'm getting to like the hdr'd version more and more, I think it was in part surprise at how far it had moved the colours. Certainly it has done wonders for the sky (maybe too much) and I agree the tractor/boat is more attractrive.

I suspect the halo effects, which are quite slight, may be removed if you tune the micro settings.

Nick

OlyPaul
8th August 2008, 09:42 AM
I think the composition is ok as is.The image looks a little soft to me but this could be a combined factor of shallow dof and post processing for the web.

The colours are also not helped by posting a Adobe rgb image on the web as this results in a reduced contrast and saturation for the veiwer , I took it into CS3 to confirm and also play with it ,convert the profile to srgb for web images to get the best colour display as you edited it.

To be honest the hdr image looks a lot worse to me and all the things that have been suggested to improve it could easily be done in Photoshop( i tried it) rather than going down the HDR route.

Basicly theres not a lot wrong with this that a little post processing work could not improve and I think you did rather well.:)

fulhamphil
8th August 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Paul, thanks for the tips, i think i'll have another go at it over the next few days and see what i come up with.*chr