PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the f2.8 zooms?

MJ0RZD
6th March 2013, 09:31 AM
I am waiting for my 'new' (to me) E-1 and will need to get a 'decent' lens for it, have already had some initial feedback on the E-1 page but for wider comment and feedback should I go for a 14-54mm or hold out for a 12-60mm? All comments and advice gratefully received.
RobL

Ian
6th March 2013, 09:37 AM
The 14-54 is the natural partner for an E-1 but the 12-60 will work very well - as it should being a much more expensive lens. You probably don't need any extra sharpness that the 12-60 offers with an E-1, but its longer zooming range especially at the wide end could be useful. The 14-54 exhibits less distortion at the wide end. In the end it's your choice - a good compromise might be to get the 14-54 II - see:

http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki/14-54mm_f/2.8-3.5_II_Olympus_Zuiko_Digital

The 12-60 is also larger and heavier but has faster focusing. Lots to consider!

Ian

peak4
6th March 2013, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't normally post the same thing twice, but I've only just come accross this thread having posted the foloowing reply in a previous one.

Or you could keep a lookout for the Panaleica 14-50mm that shipped with the L10.
It isn't quite as bright as the one that shipped with the L1, but it's often a darned sight cheaper.
You forego weather sealing, but gain Image Stabilisation. Depend where your priorities lie really, but if you don't venture out in the rain, the OIS helps obviate the lack of a decent ISO performance.

Ian
6th March 2013, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't normally post the same thing twice, but I've only just come accross this thread having posted the foloowing reply in a previous one.

Or you could keep a lookout for the Panaleica 14-50mm that shipped with the L10.
It isn't quite as bright as the one that shipped with the L1, but it's often a darned sight cheaper.
You forego weather sealing, but gain Image Stabilisation. Depend where your priorities lie really, but if you don't venture out in the rain, the OIS helps obviate the lack of a decent ISO performance.

That's a good tip :) The on-lens optical IS would be a boon, and you could even consider looking out for a 14-50 f/2.8-3.5, the Panasonic Leica that was the standard zoom for the L1 and Leica Digilux 3.

Ian