PDA

View Full Version : good price?

flying haggis
7th December 2007, 12:42 PM
just found this on E-bay, seems a good priceconsidering the 12-60 is included

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-DSLR-E3-Camera-Body-Lens-Kit-12-60mm_W0QQitemZ330194159840QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ian
7th December 2007, 01:05 PM
This is a camera supplied from Hong Kong. It's pictured with the HLD-4 grip but I don't see it mentioned in the details - which is a bit dodgy. There is a mention of 4GB internal memory and Memory Stick Duo support - neither of which is accurate.

I understand that Olympus will honour the warranty as they operate an international warranty scheme for DSLRs.

The Paypal payment protection only extends to 500, incidentally.

Ian

PeterD
8th December 2007, 12:57 AM
This is a camera supplied from Hong Kong. It's pictured with the HLD-4 grip but I don't see it mentioned in the details - which is a bit dodgy. There is a mention of 4GB internal memory and Memory Stick Duo support - neither of which is accurate.

I understand that Olympus will honour the warranty as they operate an international warranty scheme for DSLRs.

The Paypal payment protection only extends to 500, incidentally.

Ian

Very good points Ian. The resolution is also mis-quoted. Strange, most sellers will cut and paste data sheet info to ensure accuracy. Another thing to bear in mind is that the price may appear cheap but the camera could attract import duty/VAT.

PeterD

theMusicMan
8th December 2007, 09:32 AM
Remember folks about the guy I mentioned several times already. His name is Ian Kerr, his online name is Kerso, and I am sure he will be registering on here very soon - I have mentioned this excellent site to him.

I have just purchased 3 x E-510's and the 70-300mm lens from him, and in the past have purchased my FL-50, all my filters and accessories from him.

Ian has an online eBay shop, but his prices are cheaper when dealt with directly as one avoids paypal charges.

All goods are shipped from Fife in Scotland, so one gets all benefits of purchasing in the UK. The only reason I didn't get my E-3 from him was that it was an on the spot decision to purchase... the Oly rep was in the store, I was on a camera outing with some friends from another site, and I thought what the heck - otherwise I'd have bought from him.

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/6842/GroupID/8/CategoryID/93/v/fae91831-f7eb-4634-9f5f-3ba2df9f6a90) today is £639, mine from Ian cost £465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I only spoke to him yesterday, and will drop him another line reminding him to register and introduce himself here.

I can personally vouch for him - he's excellent. I was introduced to him over on talk photography where many many users have purchased gear from him: not just Oly stuyff; Canon, Nikon kit and all manner of lenses.

Thought I'd share this as it might save you a few quid.

PeterD
8th December 2007, 10:16 AM
Remember folks about the guy I mentioned several times already. His name is Ian Kerr, his online name is Kerso, and I am sure he will be registering on here very soon - I have mentioned this excellent site to him.

I have just purchased 3 x E-510's and the 70-300mm lens from him, and in the past have purchased my FL-50, all my filters and accessories from him.

Ian has an online eBay shop, but his prices are cheaper when dealt with directly as one avoids paypal charges.

All goods are shipped from Fife in Scotland, so one gets all benefits of purchasing in the UK. The only reason I didn't get my E-3 from him was that it was an on the spot decision to purchase... the Oly rep was in the store, I was on a camera outing with some friends from another site, and I thought what the heck - otherwise I'd have bought from him.

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/6842/GroupID/8/CategoryID/93/v/fae91831-f7eb-4634-9f5f-3ba2df9f6a90) today is 639, mine from Ian cost 465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I only spoke to him yesterday, and will drop him another line reminding him to register and introduce himself here.

I can personally vouch for him - he's excellent. I was introduced to him over on talk photography where many many users have purchased gear from him: not just Oly stuyff; Canon, Nikon kit and all manner of lenses.

Thanks for the above info. I shall keep my eye on this. Buying with confidence is the key and there is no better way than through trusted recommendations.

PeterD

Ian
8th December 2007, 10:25 AM
Very good points Ian. The resolution is also mis-quoted. Strange, most sellers will cut and paste data sheet info to ensure accuracy. Another thing to bear in mind is that the price may appear cheap but the camera could attract import duty/VAT.

PeterD

Yes - I completely overlooked the import duty. That would make it virtually the same price as here in the UK.

I think the resolution is quoted correctly, but 11.8MP is the total pixel count, not the effective number.

Ian

sapper
8th December 2007, 11:06 AM

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/6842/GroupID/8/CategoryID/93/v/fae91831-f7eb-4634-9f5f-3ba2df9f6a90) today is £639, mine from Ian cost £465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

Just checked out this guys site on ebay, prices do look favourable. I want an 18-180 oly lens, he is doing it for £285, nearest price from UK dealers is £319 from Digital Depot. And I want the new 50-200 lens too, plus the 70-300 Etc, Etc:D

Dave

Ian
8th December 2007, 11:11 AM
Just checked out this guys site on ebay, prices do look favourable. I want an 18-180 oly lens, he is doing it for 285, nearest price from UK dealers is 319 from Digital Depot. And I want the new 50-200 lens too, plus the 70-300 Etc, Etc:D

Dave

Dave, why not get one of the E-330s on eBay Derek highlighted for 299, incuding the 18-180. You then have a spare body or you can re-sell it.

Ian

Ian
8th December 2007, 11:18 AM

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/6842/GroupID/8/CategoryID/93/v/fae91831-f7eb-4634-9f5f-3ba2df9f6a90) today is 639, mine from Ian cost 465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I must admit that I'm slightly nervous about this. Is he importing these cameras and paying the duty? Are the cameras he supplies US stock branded 'Evolt'?

And don't forget that Olympus UK is offering cashback offers on the E-410 and E-510 at the moment.

Ian

theMusicMan
8th December 2007, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't be nervous Ian, he has never had a cashback offer refused. I have just paid £229 for the 70-300mm and today it is listed as £299 on Park Cameras.

sapper
8th December 2007, 04:32 PM
Dave, why not get one of the E-330s on eBay Derek highlighted for 299, incuding the 18-180. You then have a spare body or you can re-sell it.

Ian

Didn't see this Ian, it looks a bargain, wonder where he gets them at this price.
Dave.

sapper
8th December 2007, 04:52 PM
Didn't see this Ian, it looks a bargain, wonder where he gets them at this price.
Dave.

Just bought it.
I used this lens, (18-180) at the London Oly promos and was impressed with its size and weight, much lighter and smaller than my 50-200. I know the aperture is smaller and the quality may not be up to the standard of the 50-200 but it will be less effort to cart around. And now I have the E-3 with IS I won't need the f2.8 of the 50-200.
Dave.

beardedwombat
8th December 2007, 04:58 PM

I ordered, and was invoiced for, an Olympus FL-50R for 263 inc postage & Paypal charge from Ian Kerr on the 29th Nov. Today I received an FL-50 not the R model - very disappointing! I have put it in the post back to him this morning and emailed to ask if he has the FL-50R, I am awaiting a reply. I suspect it's a simple error but I'll let you know the outcome.
Chris

beardedwombat
8th December 2007, 11:25 PM
I ordered, and was invoiced for, an Olympus FL-50R for 263 inc postage & Paypal charge from Ian Kerr on the 29th Nov. Today I received an FL-50 not the R model - very disappointing! I have put it in the post back to him this morning and emailed to ask if he has the FL-50R, I am awaiting a reply. I suspect it's a simple error but I'll let you know the outcome.
Chris
I have had an email from Ian Kerr apologising for the error and promising to send me the FL-50R. He has also offered to send me an E-3 battery to cover my return postage cost which is a very nice gesture. Good to to business with someone who looks after their customers.
Chris

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 12:07 AM
I thought Ian would do something like that, he really is a cracking dealer.

kerso
9th December 2007, 04:38 AM
John, Thanks for introducing me to this site. Yes I am willing to help anyone out with Olympus gear. As you say all gear is sent from Scotland so no worries for you. I appreciate your business and am happy to give prices on all gear. I have E-510 twin lens kits, most lenses and some E-3 bodies ready to post. Your gear will be posted this week as soon as the 70-300mm arrives. Should be Monday or Tuesday. Thanks. Ian.

kerso
9th December 2007, 04:40 AM
Chris, Apologies, my sister didn't note there was FL50 & FL50R too. Correct one will be posted Tuesday when other arrives back and there will be a battery to cover your postage return. Best regards Ian.

Chris

Jim
11th December 2007, 08:37 PM
Chris

Chris,

I had the exact same thing happen ordered a FL-50R and got sent the FL-50.
Like you said he emailed straight back appologising for the error and offered to include a battery as way of covering postage. Top bloke and a well deserved thumbs up for Kerso :)

beardedwombat
17th December 2007, 03:31 PM
I have had an email from Ian Kerr apologising for the error and promising to send me the FL-50R. He has also offered to send me an E-3 battery to cover my return postage cost which is a very nice gesture. Good to to business with someone who looks after their customers.
Chris
Having sent back the FL-50 Ian Kerr sent me in error, I have now received my FL-50R from him and a free battery. Top marks to Ian and I will have no hesitation in buying from him again when the time comes to get a bit more equipment.
Cheers
Chris

Jim
17th December 2007, 03:41 PM
I too have received my FL-50R from Ian Kerso and can not fault his service and prices. 100% recommend you speak with him before any purchase :)

theMusicMan
17th December 2007, 03:51 PM
See, told you so... he's a good un is our Ian.:)

Ijay37
22nd December 2007, 12:45 PM

I followed this advice and purchased an E-3 with 12-60 lens from "kerso" and I thorouhly agree with the above from "themusicman."

theMusicMan
22nd December 2007, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear it. Hope you enjoy your E-3 - it's a corking camera.