PDA

View Full Version : panasonic lens

Ava
4th March 2013, 01:16 AM
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 Lens

I bought this lens recently, and my first attempt to use it was a little disappointing. Does anyone have this lens? I am not certain if there is a way to get updates for the lens if I do not have a panasonic camera. I am not certain if there is something specific that I need to know. The images don't seem to be sharp like my Olympus lens that came with the camera....

Melaka
4th March 2013, 08:08 AM
The latest update appears to be 1.1. You can update Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body.

StephenL
4th March 2013, 08:16 AM
Don't forget to switch off either the in-lens stabilisation or the in-body stabilisation. You shouldn't have both on at the same time.

Ian
4th March 2013, 08:53 AM
What do you find disappointing with this lens?

Do you have any examples?

Ian

CJJE
4th March 2013, 12:07 PM
I have the older 45-200 mm version of this lens, and I would class both lenses as useful consumer quality lenses. They suffer from a relatively slow aperture - particularly at the longer focal lengths - but their optical quality is quite good. I tend to use my Panasonic 30-100 mm f2.8 or 100-200 mm lenses now instead.

As has been said, the joint Olympus/Panasonic update service lets you update the lens' firmware on an Olympus body.

Ava
4th March 2013, 01:47 PM
Thank you. I just updated it and will see if there is an improvement. The focus was not sharp the first time I tried it out, at least not what I expected from it. I took the same pictures with that lens and the 12-50 that came with the camera, and the 12-50 worked great....the 45-175 was off on the focus.

I don't see a way to turn off the stabilization in the lens. I thought it just would not work on an Olympus camera. How would you turn it off?

Zuiko
4th March 2013, 02:09 PM
Thank you. I just updated it and will see if there is an improvement. The focus was not sharp the first time I tried it out, at least not what I expected from it. I took the same pictures with that lens and the 12-50 that came with the camera, and the 12-50 worked great....the 45-175 was off on the focus.

I don't see a way to turn off the stabilization in the lens. I thought it just would not work on an Olympus camera. How would you turn it off?

Some Panasonic lenses, like yours, do not have an on/off switch for the OIS, it is engaged or disengaged via the (Panasonic) camera bodies. It defaults to "off" on Olympus bodies, so this is not a problem for you. :)

Ava
4th March 2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you. As soon as I get a chance I will test this lens out again. Lately, where I live, it has been grey, cloudy....not the greatest intensive to get out with my camera!

Ian
4th March 2013, 03:13 PM
I have the older 45-200 mm version of this lens, and I would class both lenses as useful consumer quality lenses. They suffer from a relatively slow aperture - particularly at the longer focal lengths - but their optical quality is quite good. I tend to use my Panasonic 30-100 mm f2.8 or 100-200 mm lenses now instead.

As has been said, the joint Olympus/Panasonic update service lets you update the lens' firmware on an Olympus body.

The 45-175 is an X-series lens (a bit like Canon's L-series) so it should be superior quality to the 45-200.

Ian

Ian
4th March 2013, 03:15 PM

Another topic for the FTU Wiki (http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki)! My understanding is that in-body IS on Olympus cameras overrides in-lens OIS, but I feel like checking this assumption myself!

Ian

CJJE
4th March 2013, 04:06 PM
The 45-175 is an X-series lens (a bit like Canon's L-series) so it should be superior quality to the 45-200.

Ian

Very true!! I'd missed that part of the lens description! There's a review here http://www.camerastuffreview.com/panasonic-lens-review/review-panasonic-45-175-mm which suggests its a bit better than I'd assumed too... Mind you I have the 14-42mm X series power zoom and still feel that its small aperture limits its use a bit.

Ian
4th March 2013, 04:31 PM
Very true!! I'd missed that part of the lens description! There's a review here http://www.camerastuffreview.com/panasonic-lens-review/review-panasonic-45-175-mm which suggests its a bit better than I'd assumed too... Mind you I have the 14-42mm X series power zoom and still feel that its small aperture limits its use a bit.

Indeed - I think X-series means the lens has something particularly unusual about it and the power zoom/collapsing size feature of the 14-42 probably does list higher than image quality in this case.

Ian

CJJE
4th March 2013, 05:46 PM
Another topic for the FTU Wiki (http://fourthirds-user.com/wiki)! My understanding is that in-body IS on Olympus cameras overrides in-lens OIS, but I feel like checking this assumption myself!

Ian

I've found the manual for this lens here: http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z5134db22z3z31c9dz656ez706466z23z995ab6656141f926 f7557d1d4a065ee245f3769f/tsn2/data/ALL/HPS45175E/OI/863148/vqt3r90.pdf

and see that it specifically says that "When using this lens with another make of digital cameras, the Optical Image Stabilizer function will not work. (As of August 2011). For details, contact the respective company." So it would seem that there is no need to worry about the Panasonic OIS fighting the Olympus OIS with this lens!

What's more, a check in the manual for my Lumix G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 lens shows it responds in exactly the same way (I hadn't realised this before!) so I can consider mounting this lens on my OM-D in future.

Thanks for pointing this out! *chr

Melaka
4th March 2013, 06:36 PM
I've only had my EM5 for three months so my experience of MFT is limited. I have the 12-50 and three Panasonic lenses all of which I find ergonomically more to my liking. They also have a decent lens hood!

As you will have seen from the holiday snaps series the 100-300 can produce stunning results although there were many more OOF than I would have liked/expected. The 45-200 gives very variable exposure with shots, especially the first in a series, frequently being overexposed. I'm beginning to think this may be a lens defect and that it may have to go for repair. The 14-45 has so far not had much use but I'm happy with it.

Most Panasonic lenses (I also have the excellent Pana/Leica FT 14-150) have an OIS switch on the barrel and I hadn't realised it was automatically disabled when on an Olympus camera.

StephenL
4th March 2013, 06:46 PM
My understanding of using stabilised Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies is that, if the lens has a switch, then you should switch off the len OIS and switch on the body OIS. If it doesn't have a switch, the the lens OIS is only switched on by a function in a Panasonic body, otherwise it is off.

CJJE
4th March 2013, 07:21 PM
I've only had my EM5 for three months so my experience of MFT is limited. I have the 12-50 and three Panasonic lenses all of which I find ergonomically more to my liking. They also have a decent lens hood!

As you will have seen from the holiday snaps series the 100-300 can produce stunning results although there were many more OOF than I would have liked/expected. The 45-200 gives very variable exposure with shots, especially the first in a series, frequently being overexposed. I'm beginning to think this may be a lens defect and that it may have to go for repair. The 14-45 has so far not had much use but I'm happy with it.

Most Panasonic lenses (I also have the excellent Pana/Leica FT 14-150) have an OIS switch on the barrel and I hadn't realised it was automatically disabled when on an Olympus camera.

Hi Melaka,

I was using my Lumix 45-200 and 100-300 lenses for my puffin pics last summer without any exposure problems so it certainly sounds as if your 45-200 may be faulty. If it over-exposes for the first shot, perhaps the aperture blades are sticking?

Ava
4th March 2013, 07:21 PM
I was looking for a decent lens to photograph from a distance, and have gone back and forth about what to buy. My son is also graduating in May and I wanted to get some shots of that. I am somewhat concerned about the slowness of the lens. I find that for graduations a flash is not the answer due to the seating distance. I might need to increase the ISO pretty high. I did not see a fast lens that would work well for my needs. I want to travel light, and did not want a large, heavy lens. That limits choices. I also did not really want to spend the price of what a fast, small, and light telephoto lens would cost. That leaves me with the choice of a slow lens...

OM USer
5th March 2013, 11:55 AM
Since its only for the day you could hire a lens from Ian if he has something suitable.

Ava
5th March 2013, 11:59 PM
That would be wondeful...but I don't live close enough to do that. You did put the thought in my head that I could see if that was a possibility to do here.

The lens seems to be working OK now. I wonder if it was the firmware update? Just glad that it is working.

OM USer
6th March 2013, 11:29 AM
Whoops... forgot to see where you were located when I offered the advice. Apologies.

CJJE
7th March 2013, 03:29 PM
I see that Panasonic have announced another firmware update for this lens, the 14-42 Power Zoom lens and the 45-150 lens (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/dsc/update_gh3.html ).

The update should be available by the end of March, and is said to improve AF performance on the Lumix GH3. (Panasonic are always reluctant to talk about what will change for Olympus cameras!)

Ian
8th March 2013, 11:31 PM

Ian

Here is some official clarification of how Mega OIS lenses with no IS switch work on Olympus bodies:

1. On most Olympus bodies the in-lens IS will never work. So the lens is treated as a lens with no OIS and you should regard camera IS settings, as required, as being for in-camera IS only.

2. The exception is wit the newest Pens; Pen Mini E-PM2 and Pen Lite E-PL5. With these cameras there is a new menu option that can be set to make the lens the IS mode priority.

Ian

RJM
19th March 2013, 03:52 PM
I have the 45-175 'x' lens which I have used for a few months now.

I'm delighted with the quality of photos and haven't had any issues at all on my OM-D.

I'm surprised you're having problems. Are you sorted now?

Ian
19th March 2013, 04:10 PM
My understanding of using stabilised Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies is that, if the lens has a switch, then you should switch off the len OIS and switch on the body OIS. If it doesn't have a switch, the the lens OIS is only switched on by a function in a Panasonic body, otherwise it is off.

The very latest Pens (E-PL5 and E-PM2) have a lens IS priority option in the menus for lenses without a switch.

Ian