PDA

View Full Version : An old Coal Building

Garrie
2nd August 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi All,

Just going through some old shots I'd taken..

Comments welcome, first time I've posted in this section so please let rip :)

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/e/coalbuilding_sm.jpg

Cheers
G

Henk
3rd August 2008, 05:55 AM
I like the composition - the portrait mode is a good choice - and the conversion.
But the sky looks like a quicky in PP with that halo around the building and it really degrades the image for me. I would also have removed the boards or planks in the foreground before shooting the image.

If you can go back when circumstances are better I'd do a re-shoot, it's worth it!

StephenL
3rd August 2008, 06:45 AM
I agree with (most of) these sentiments. However, while I understand your feelings about the boards/planks, Henk, I'm firmly of the opinion re "derelict" shots that you should take them warts and all. They were there, part of the dereliction, and there they should stay. They may affect the aesthetics of the shot, but they are part of that environment.

I like the composition - the portrait mode is a good choice - and the conversion.
But the sky looks like a quicky in PP with that halo around the building and it really degrades the image for me. I would also have removed the boards or planks in the foreground before shooting the image.

If you can go back when circumstances are better I'd do a re-shoot, it's worth it!

Henk
3rd August 2008, 06:59 AM
However, while I understand your feelings about the boards/planks, Henk, I'm firmly of the opinion re "derelict" shots that you should take them warts and all. They were there, part of the dereliction, and there they should stay. They may affect the aesthetics of the shot, but they are part of that environment.

I agree on that for "fixed" items like power lines Stephen, if they can be moved easy I would not hesitate to do so.:)

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd August 2008, 01:40 PM
On a different tack to the other comments. The building is one that "towers" within the landscape. So I'd try a very low shooting point to enhance and emphasise the height and presence of the building. This would also help to break up the roof line which almost has the top of the side running into the LH apex roof line.

One thing I always suggest (because I like to do it) is try very tight crops.

*chr