PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Starts 2nd March

brian1208
27th February 2013, 09:48 AM
For those of you who live within reach of Christchurch, Dorset

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/flyerinvitee-mail.jpg

Chevvyf1
27th February 2013, 10:44 AM
oooh I do visit the Red House often :) my fav artist/tog is Sarah Harris - a resident there :)

We shall try and get down for a visit :) wishing you loads of queues to get in and lots of ahhh and that is so nice I mUST BUY IT :cool:

brian1208
27th February 2013, 10:53 AM
Look forward to seeing you, if not at the preview party give me a shout when you are going and we can meet up for a coffee.

Sarah is a mate of mine, we both exhibit in the Hayloft Gallery, often in the same shows

(I've sold two before the show, a neighbour saw me carting frames about and asked what I was up to and did the that is so nice I mUST BUY IT so I printed her copies off *chr )

Chevvyf1
27th February 2013, 10:58 AM
Look forward to seeing you, if not at the preview party give me a shout when you are going and we can meet up for a coffee.

Sarah is a mate of mine, we both exhibit in the Hayloft Gallery, often in the same shows

oooh! I got muddled its the Hayloft ? she has permenant exhibition in ?

I enjoy following many of her "techniques" on her Flickr !

I LURVE Christchurch, my Dad initially had "Thyme Cottage" in Millhams Street - neighbour to Lally and Annie - also local artists - I have lots of Lally Sculptures in cold cast slate :) and a few of Annies pastel chalks - as ideas for mature ladies wanting a Nakie pose :) discretely :)

Dad then moved a long way - to Ducking Stool Lane :D :D :D - have you seen the Pearl/Seashell model of the Cathedral in the garden behind the "Workhouse?" - last I saw it was near "the Garage" outback :) MAGIC ! my friends dad was Caretaker there for 30 years, in his retirement :)

We hope to make the Preview :) Saturday :) ps will be both carrying Olympus E-5 cameras :eek: so we shall stand out amongst the ... others :)

brian1208
27th February 2013, 11:27 AM
Its a small world Chevvy, Lally and Anna are also friends of ours, I love his carved wood sculptures, magical.

The Hayloft is the Gallery that is leased by CADArts, the umbrella arts & crafts group for our area. Sarah and we are members so can exhibit our work in the Hayloft, either in group exhibitions or hiring it for solo shows (Pam & I have one booked in September this year)

Don't recall seeing the cathedral model (but we've only lived here for about 16 years! :) )

Look forward to meeting up on Saturday

Chevvyf1
27th February 2013, 12:52 PM
... ahhh the Lally wood sculptures ... the roadworkers folded down welly boot and standing by it the Pheaumatics road drill :D ... the towel hanging off the back of the bathroom door ... the brown paper Sainsbury's carrier bag (in the National Gallery I believe now) ... his guitar ...

MY FAV is the 1m tall "Black Lady" in cold cast slate - he used to have one, at the fireside in his home :) I have the other one :)

Don't recall seeing the cathedral model (but we've only lived here for about 16 years! :) )

Look forward to meeting up on Saturday

only 16 years ... your newcomers ... I am surprised anyone spoeaks to you both :eek: ...

Last time I saw the seashells cathedral it was on a flower bed ... opposite the Garage on the right :) ... it may be overgrown ... I dont think it was as "valued" as it should be :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2251556.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/43736)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2251558.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/43737)

and the Ducking Stool

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2251569.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/43739)

Just foudn these in my gallery taken 4th March last year :) I was down for a Sarah Harris exhibition then :)

Alpha1
27th February 2013, 08:19 PM
I will try to be there on Saturday, Brian and good luck with the exhibition. :D

Chevvyf1
27th February 2013, 09:19 PM
I will try to be there on Saturday, Brian and good luck with the exhibition. :D

Dave, Hi I think you moved to Winchester last year ? So maybe we shall meet up in Christchurch :eek:

brian1208
27th February 2013, 11:49 PM
Hope you can make it Dave, it would be good to meet you

Zuiko
28th February 2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry I can't make it, Brian, it's just too far but I wish you and Pam every success. *chr

Imageryone
28th February 2013, 10:00 AM
Hope all goes well and you get lots of buyers.

brian1208
28th February 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the good wishes both. If only 50% of those who said they come arrive we should have a full gallery.

Just got the food and drink - that's two pictures I've got to sell (but then I've sold two outside of the gallery already so that's alright *chr )

Hanging tomorrow - that's going to be a busy day!

Alpha1
2nd March 2013, 06:22 PM
Brian, thank you for your hospitality and time this morning. Janet and I really enjoyed your exhibition and Pam's ceramic painting is wonderful.

We hope that you both get lots of orders, you should as the venue was just right!

It was a bonus to also meet Chevvyf1 and put yet another face to the user names from this forum.

Chevvyf1
2nd March 2013, 07:20 PM
What a magic exhibition ! I have to say there was NOT ONE photograph that I did not like :eek: nor any piece of Art by Pat that I did ot like :eek: FAB to meet Dave and Brian and chat about the OMD-E5 and its amazing ABILITIES - that pano was THE ULTIMATE in pano :)

... tbh I was sooo glad that my credit card had been cancelled sue to being stolen :( ... it saved me a fortune

However, my Nick was quite upset by my report that he missed such a great exhibition so we are going to visit again, in the week, with the children :) ... and as my new card had arrived in the lunch post ... funds shall not be safe on the next visit :)

ps so nice to meet Brian and Dave and for them to see, I am NOT A BLOKE :)

Brian, can we organise a New Forest Day with you as a Guide in Autumn (MyFav Season in the Forest ) :) ... maybe a few others would join us ?

brian1208
2nd March 2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks Dave and Chevvy for taking the time to come (and for making such nice comments *chr )

Pam & I always enjoy meeting new friends at these shows.

I'll warn the Reception Desk staff to expect a big order then shall I Chevvy? (I'm glad you weren't a bloke Chevvy, its good to shake up a few misconceptions now and then and what good taste in bikes you have ;) )

I missed the bit about the Autumn shoot, sounds a nice idea, we could maybe have a stroll about Hengistbury Head early (nice bacon & egg breakfast there), stop off at Stanpit Marsh to see if there are any "migrants" about, then drift off to the forest for a bit of time round Bolderwood and Rhinefield - something to think about later in the year maybe?

Chevvyf1
2nd March 2013, 07:33 PM
Nick is laffing lots at me coming home with an EMPTY cardboard box :) ... but its going to help me get a "a stock in" ... loved the juice and snacks it was a great saturday trip out :)

BIG order ? not too big ... PS how did the afternoon go ?

brian1208
2nd March 2013, 07:37 PM
Right Chevvy, this seems to have worked so, as promised, the notes

Photographer's Notes

1 : Shot at Bolderwood this classic New Forest shot had to include the golden light of Autumn and the ever present New Forest ponies which are so important in maintaining the ecology and look of the Forest
canon 7D with ISO 200, f8 for 1/40th sec at 16mm

2 : The character of the Forest changes with the light and this shot shows a typical Winter scene where the early morning sun breaking through the foliage turns the heavy frost into dancing columns of steam, showing the slanting rays of sunlight
canon 350D with ISO 400, f5.6 for 1/250th sec at 75mm

3 : The fallen leaves of Autumn provide a base from which the Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) mushroom springs each year. A beautiful but deadly fungus which I decided to show with the Forest trees as the background, in contrast to the more normal close-up / macro treatment it is usually given
canon 7D with ISO 200, f7.1 for 1/40th sec at 16mm

4 : As the light levels drop the reflections off the small stream at Rhinefield (just off the A35 Christchurch to Lyndhurst road) creates a more mysterious feel to the scene making me wonder what may be happening just out of view
Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/30th sec at 58mm

5 + 6 : A Winter morning with the temperature at -5C, it was tempting to stay in bed, but what a glorious sunrise was my reward when we got to the Cliffhanger Cafe at Highcliffe. I loved the difference in light and colour looking first to the East over the Isle of Wight and then to the West toward Mudeford Harbour with Hengistbury Head as a backdrop. (A tasty breakfast in the Cliffhanger Cafe rounded of a fine morning shoot)
canon 5Dmk2 with ISO 100, f11 for 1/8th sec with 22mm

7 : With one of the Highest Spring Tides we've ever seen in the Harbour it looked as if most of the sailors in the area had taken to the water. This scene was shot from the top of Hengistbury Head and is a composite of 24 separate shots to cover as much of the harbour and bay as possible. Who needs the Med when we can have days like this on our doorstep!
Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/800thh sec at 60mm

8 : When we arrived at the end of Portland Bill there was a massive storm raging but as we waited it cleared away leaving us in bright sunshine. Then a magical moment occurred and three separate rainbows appeared in the departing storm clouds, each equally lovely in their own way but this is the one I decided to share with you.
canon 550D with ISO 200, f9 for 1/320th sec at 55mm

9 : Shot from the Southern side of Hurst Castle this yacht with its reefed down mainsail was working against a fast moving tidal current as it rounded the mark prior to tacking out toward the Needles. Shortly afterwards the water was churned into foam by the arrival of the massed power boats gathering for the start of the Cowes - Torquay - Cowes race. A good example of ever changing nature of our local waters
Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/1000th sec at 300mm

10 : A sudden rain storm soaked us as we wandered along the promenade at Lyme Regis but as it passed we were rewarded with the sight of this lovely rainbow striking the surf line. Unfortunately by the time we got there the pot of gold had disappeared, taken by a passing Mermaid perhaps.
canon 550D with ISO 100, f8 for 1/640th sec at 55mm

11 : The huts on Mudeford Spit are known to be some of the most expensive in the UK but on a crisp, clear morning in March they looked worth every penny. This is one of my favourite times of the year to visit the Spit with wonderfully bright skies and very few people
canon 50D with ISO 100, f8 for 1/500th sec at 10mm

12 + 13 : Christchurch Priory is one of our key historic landmark buildings and I love the way in which it is possible to catch glimpses of it as one wanders around the area, each showing a different facet of its character. The first view is from Stanpit Marsh looking through the reed beds and the second is a rare sighting of it from the garden of this museum, only possible because the leaves have fallen from the tree that would normally block this view
12 - canon 7D with ISO 100, f9 for1/320th sec at 76mm
13 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f9 for 1/250th sec with 12mm

14 + 15 : the annual Bournemouth Air Festival is one of the highlights of our events calendar and 2012 was particularly poignant as it was the first show following the loss of two of Red Arrows pilots the previous year. In these two shots I captured part of the opening display flown as a tribute to their missing comrades and many of us had a lump in our throats as we watched.
14 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/1000th sec with 171mm
15 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/1600th sec with 150mm

16 + 17 : Water sport is a very active pastime for both locals and our many visitors and an excellent location to watch this is from Avon Beach where windsurfing, kite surfing and paddle boarding are all regularly to be seen. In this pair of shots I was able to capture two brave windsurfers coming unstuck from their boards as they were performing some apparently death-defying tricks. In the first the board was blown out from under the rider by a sudden massive gust and in the second the violence of the attempted loop shook the rider's hands from the boom. Both landed safely and were up riding again in seconds. Thanks to all who ride there, you give me some great photo-ops!
16 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/1000th sec with 150mm
17 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/1000th sec with 132mm

18 + 19 : At Ringwood we have Liberty's Owl & Raptor Centre where they put on flying displays of their many birds on a daily basis. I was lucky enough have the opportunity to attend an experimental studio shoot of some of these birds and was stunned by the detail it was possible to see under these conditions. 18 is a Tawny Owl which had seen something of great interest in the rafters of the theatre and 19 is Southern White Faced Owl which has just spotted a photographer shooting from below - look out, it's coming to get you! . I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
You can get more details about the centre here: www.libertyscentre.co.uk and Miles Herbert who arranges many photographic events at the centre can be seen here http://captivelightuk.co.uk/
18 + 19 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 200, f8 for 1/200th sec with 60mm
20 : Brownsea Island is a wonderful venue for a photographer to visit with lagoons full of Waders and Wildfowl and, if you go in the Autumn, you stand an excellent chance of seeing the Red Squirrels busy collecting nuts for the Winter (otherwise they tend to be seen as a distant brown blur) We watched this one for a good 15 minutes as it tried to break open the Sweet Chestnut and so concentrated was it on its task it was unaware of us watching until it looked up with it prize in its mouth - Click! (even under these favourable conditions this shot was at extreme range and in very poor light so I was pleased to be able to get anything usable)
20 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 1600, f6.7 for 1/80th sec with 300mm

21 : This image is a little bit of a cheat as this delightful little Field Mouse was shot at the British Wildlife Centre in Lingfield, Surrey. I make no apologies though as it is a native of this area and I think it's too cute to be left out. (the last time I saw one in the wild was in about 1948 when sat in a corn stook in Kent but I didn't have my Box Brownie with me at the time!)
21 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 800, t8 for 1/400th sec with 300mm
22 : Stanpit Marsh is described in the DRAFT STANPIT MARSH NATURE RESERVE MANAGEMENT PLAN 2009 - 2014 as "one of the UK’s best nature reserves. It is of national, regional and local importance for wildlife and people. Stanpit Marsh Nature Reserve is part of the Christchurch Harbour Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Avon Valley Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA), a designated a Local Nature Reserve (LNR) and Public Open Space (POS)". It is home to a herd of ponies which thrive and breed there all year round and in addition to being a key part of the ecology of the marsh provide much pleasure to the visitor, particularly when the young foals are about, as here. The photographer can also find a wide range of wildfowl and waders and in the Winter the marsh becomes home to many migrating birds, it's always worth a visit.

22 - canon 5Dmk2 with ISO 400, f5.6 for 1/640th sec with 93mm

23 : Bluebell Woods are an iconic part of our Spring countryside and are best photographed on bright but overcast days to capture that lovely soft true blue haze of the massed flowers. In this image, shot on just such a day in Cornwall, I deliberately defocused the distant trees to add a touch of romance to the scene and the presence of the small group of red Rhododendron flowers in the background was an added bonus
23 - canon 7D with ISO 400, f8 for 1/100th sec with 70mm
24 : Still on the theme of Blue, I have a passion for photographing Nigella (Love in the Mist) so maybe its a good thing that it grows like a weed in our garden. The colour and complexity of this little flower is a real challenge to capture well (or at least, it is for me!) so I was pleased with this image, shot using available light in a small muslin light tent with a black background.
Each of the three blooms is in a different stage of development and I spent a great deal of time making minute adjustments to the positioning of them to get the best effect. A classic case of an apparently simply shot requiring a great deal of effort to achieve this look, I hope you like it
24 - canon 5Dmk2 with ISO 100, f25 for 1/3rd sec with 100mm

25 : A Glossy Ibis on Stanpit Marsh, this is a good example of migrant birds arriving unexpectedly. Once relatively common on the Marsh, this bird had not been seen for quite a while and according to the RSPB "No ibises are regular in the UK, but one species, the glossy ibis, appears in some years as a stray from southern Europe" but in 2010 one suddenly appeared and had the local "Twitchers" and bird photographers in a turmoil. We were lucky enough to spot this one fairly early on and it appeared totally unconcerned by all the attention it was receiving. Also known as a "Black Curlew" it looks a sooty black to initially but as the light hits its wings beautiful iridescent colours of green, blue and purple begin to show, it's a truly stunning little bird. It's becoming a regular visitor now and at times several have been seen on the marsh together
25 - canon 7D with ISO 200, f5.6 for 1/800th sec with 300mm

26 : Another of my favourite inhabitants of the Marsh this little Wren makes a nest close to the right hand entrance from the car park. Most of the time it can be difficult to spot but in the Spring when it is busy feeding nestlings there is a good chance of catching a shot such as this. The nearby bushes and trees provide a ready supply of food so it always worth keeping an eye open in case you catch a glimpse of one of them darting about. One fact that I love about the Wren is that the male makes up to four different nests after which the female picks the one she likes - hmm, that sounds familiar somehow!
26 - canon 7D with ISO 200, f5.6 for 1/1000th sec with 300mm

27 There are a pair of Kingfishers that hunt the reed-beds beside the lower path on Hengistbury Head. Usually all one can see is a bright blue flash as they race over the surface of the water, moving from one perch to another. On this day I was lucky enough to spot one hunting and this shot captured the brief moment it hovered to look below the surface of the water to spot a fish, unsuccessfully as it turned out.

27 - Olympus EM-5 with ISO 400, f8 for 1/400th sec with 300mm

Some final comments:
I try to present my images so that they show you what I saw, with a bare minimum of post shot manipulation. None of these shots have seen Photoshop having been processed from RAW files in Adobe Lightroom, which allows me to treat the files as if they were film negatives processed in a darkroom, cropping and adjusting things like colour balance, contrast, saturation and brightness but that's it
The focal length information show is that of the lens setting. As the sensor size in the cameras differs so the effective focal length will be varied according to the "crop factor",
so:
5Dmk2 is full frame and has a crop factor of 1, so a 300mm focal length is recorded on the sensor as 300mm
The other canon bodies used here have a crop factor of 1.6 so 300mm has an effective focal distance of 480mm
The Olympus EM-5 (what a magic little tool that has turned out to be) has a crop factor of 2 which means that a 300mm lens give and effective focal distance of 600mm
I hope you like what you have seen, obviously it's only a tiny sample of my work and more can be seen on my website http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com which also includes information on other exhibitions and craft fairs we will be attending throughout the year.
I print the bulk of my images myself but my larger prints and canvases are printed for me by my good friend Karen Fountaine at In The Frame (Highcliffe) ltd , 362 Lymington Rd, Highcliffe.

brian1208
2nd March 2013, 07:43 PM
how did the afternoon go ?

We finally cleared off at around 3, both a bit knacked as that was the second day we spent about 5 hours on our feet (us poor "Olds" aren't used to it :p )

60 odd visitors in total and we both made a few nice sales + took some orders, so I have some printing to do this week-end

A bit of photography tomorrow, then Focus on Imaging on Monday should sort things out though :)

Alpha1
2nd March 2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks Dave and Chevvy for taking the time to come (and for making such nice comments *chr )

Pam & I always enjoy meeting new friends at these shows.

I'll warn the Reception Desk staff to expect a big order then shall I Chevvy? (I'm glad you weren't a bloke Chevvy, its good to shake up a few misconceptions now and then and what good taste in bikes you have ;) )

I missed the bit about the Autumn shoot, sounds a nice idea, we could maybe have a stroll about Hengistbury Head early (nice bacon & egg breakfast there), stop off at Stanpit Marsh to see if there are any "migrants" about, then drift off to the forest for a bit of time round Bolderwood and Rhinefield - something to think about later in the year maybe?

Put me down for that one please Brian, sounds great! The Autumn rutting season in the Forest is my favourite time.......strictly for the deer you understand! :rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
22nd March 2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Brian, just thinking about your fab expo and wondering how it went ? is it still on ?
I must bring Nick down if it is :)

brian1208
22nd March 2013, 01:49 PM
Hi Chevvy, yes its on until the 30th March (don't forget its not open Sunday and Monday though). Its not going badly although visitor numbers at the Museum have been low. We've both sold a reasonable amount and had a few commisions arising from it. Let me know when you are coming and we can maybe get in to meet you for a longer chat than we had a chance for on the opening day

Chevvyf1
22nd March 2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Chevvy, yes its on until the 30th March (don't forget its not open Sunday and Monday though). Its not going badly although visitor numbers at the Museum have been low. We've both sold a reasonable amount and had a few commisions arising from it. Let me know when you are coming and we can maybe get in to meet you for a longer chat than we had a chance for on the opening day

Brian, I shall do that - maybe weds or thurs next week :D

I have sent/emailed to Dave aka Sapper your notes and I bought the "Hampshire Artists" book of "art in the New Forest " - such a lovely book :) full of locations and shots I would LURVE to take :)

brian1208
22nd March 2013, 02:58 PM
I look forward to hearing from you Chevvy, feel free to take a printed copy of the notes when you come as they will be redundant once the exhibition finishes