PDA

View Full Version : Updating my E-M5 with 1.6 firmware

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2013, 10:58 AM
I've updated my camera successfully to the latest (just released) version 1.6 firmware but with a little bit of scary moments in the process.

This is the description on the Olympus site (Japan).

Ver.1.6
(Feb. 19, 2013)

•The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
•The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.

Greytop
19th February 2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Ross, glad you completed it without a disaster :eek:
Can I ask what does 1.6 add or improve?

StephenL
19th February 2013, 11:00 AM
Just updated mine. No scary moments - it just completed as normal. In all took about 5 minutes.

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2013, 11:05 AM
I've been trying to add extra comments but for some reason there are problems. Let's see if I can add this. EDIT: Perhaps I was trying to copy & paste something that was causing the site problem (Error 404).

I wish the final computer screen wasn't so small in print & that it reflected what was on the camera, because it shows the start screen again with the [NEXT] button appearing to be highlighted (that's how I saw it anyhow) & I pressed it (without reading the fine print first) with the resulting "Unable to detect camera", but meanwhile the camera was updating with its symbols on it (trying to tell me to not touch anything) & thankfully it still finalised to the OK screen.

When I first switched it on, it had an out of focus indicator on it & it didn't seem to clear, so I removed the grip & the battery from the body & put that battery back to try it again. All was well, so I put the grip back on (with battery in it) & after doing some successful trialling it seemed to happen again. Then I realised my hand was pressing the portrait button. I disabled that & all was well. I guess I should proceed with more caution. :o

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2013, 11:11 AM
Hi Ross, glad you completed it without a disaster :eek:
Can I ask what does 1.6 add or improve?

I've not used the highlight & shadow function before (except to fiddle with it) & I don't know if there is much difference (I was trying it at ISO 6400 successfully).

EDIT: I think I might start using it a bit more now (even though I also save RAW with the JPEG files).

Just updated mine. No scary moments - it just completed as normal. In all took about 5 minutes.

Perhaps mine was OK in the first place (if the grip controls had been locked or not accidently pressed), but pressing the [next] button (on the computer window) during the update was not wise. :rolleyes:

StephenL
19th February 2013, 11:35 AM
but pressing the [next] button (on the computer window) during the update was not wise. :rolleyes:

Agreed, showing the "next" button before you actually should click it is perhaps a little ambiguous. However, I've been updating Olympus firmware in this way for some considerable time, so it's second nature to me. Maybe that's when it gets dangerous!

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2013, 11:42 AM
Agreed, showing the "next" button before you actually should click it is perhaps a little ambiguous. However, I've been updating Olympus firmware in this way for some considerable time, so it's second nature to me. Maybe that's when it gets dangerous!

My wife was trying to have a sensible conversation with me & perhaps I should have waited till later to do the update & given my wife the attention she deserved (then I might have put my other glasses on to read the fine print better). :rolleyes:

StephenL
19th February 2013, 11:44 AM
Wife? Sensible conversation? Surely an oxymoron!

My wife was trying to have a sensible conversation with me & perhaps I should have waited till later to do the update & given my wife the attention she deserved (then I might have put my other glasses on to read the fine print better). :rolleyes:

OM USer
19th February 2013, 02:51 PM
Done mine.

According to Olympus:

The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.

Zuiko
19th February 2013, 03:53 PM
Can't say that I'm excited about this upgrade, I haven't noticed problems with long exposures and I don't use highlight and shadow control, so I think I'll stick with my existing firmware. Which is version 1.2. If it ain't broke don't fix it! :D

StephenL
19th February 2013, 03:56 PM
My cynical view is that (all) manufacturers often put other undeclared fixes in their updates, fixes that solve issues that they don't want to admit they have.

In the past I have had cameras which seem to perform better/faster/sharper than before, even though the firmware upgrade was supposed to be for some other reason.

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2013, 08:49 PM
Can't say that I'm excited about this upgrade, I haven't noticed problems with long exposures and I don't use highlight and shadow control, so I think I'll stick with my existing firmware. Which is version 1.2. If it ain't broke don't fix it! :D

I think it worked much better on 1.5 (& batteries last longer with it) than 1.1 & 1.2, so if you don't update you're missing out on the improvements. *shrug They've done the upgrades because some things are/were sort of broke & it needed fixing. :rolleyes:

If you can bring yourself to do the upgrade(s) it will probably be at least two (maybe 3) times you would need to do it to complete them all, as upgrades went from 1.1-1.3-1.5 or 1.2-1.4-1.5 & another step might be needed for the 1.6 to be added.

I'm glad I have all the upgrades. *yes

*chr

Westy
19th February 2013, 08:52 PM
Update successful with no Issues. *chr

Greytop
19th February 2013, 09:01 PM
I updated mine this morning, it all went smoothly.

brian1208
20th February 2013, 11:39 AM
I've done mine OK but I still find the Olympus update worryingly opaque compared to the canon system I was used to.
Its always a great relief to see the big white OK appear on the LCD affter the long pause :)

StephenL
20th February 2013, 11:43 AM
Well, until you get the first message on the screen of your camera, it's just downloading the file to your computer. Some sort of status report would be good, though.

Attic
20th February 2013, 11:56 AM
Just did mine and it was the fastest one yet I think.

David M
20th February 2013, 03:02 PM
My E-3 is still on 1.1. I haven't dared trying to update firmware since we moved as there's no land line and I didn't trust our wireless modem before it got fried by lightning. Plus I've no idea where the cables are anymore.

brianvickers
16th March 2013, 10:35 PM
I've just updated mine for the first time, it took two goes to v1.3 and then to v1.6
The standard zoom is still at v1.1

Ross the fiddler
17th March 2013, 11:26 AM
Well, until you get the first message on the screen of your camera, it's just downloading the file to your computer. Some sort of status report would be good, though.

Yes, that is what I would like, so I don't go clicking on tabs in the start screen that shouldn't be there during transfer to the camera. It shouldn't go back to the start screen at all until a finished screen has been displayed & only until after clicking on an acknowledgement that it has completed. That's how other software updates operate. *yes

edmund473
17th March 2013, 12:56 PM
Updated to 1.6 firm ware OMD-M5 put shadow comp on. no problems thank goodness. John.

Ross the fiddler
17th March 2013, 10:19 PM
Updated to 1.6 firm ware OMD-M5 put shadow comp on. no problems thank goodness. John.

Ah well, the updates are supposed to improve the camera's operation. ;) :D

Tordan58
2nd April 2013, 02:39 PM
I am somewhat puzzled...

Olympus customer support states that the latest FW is version 1.2:http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_download.html

Where did you get 1.6 from?

StephenL
2nd April 2013, 02:55 PM
From here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

and go down the page.

But if you connect your camera to your computer and have Viewer 2 or 3 , or Updater running, it will automatically tell you.

mike_j
2nd April 2013, 06:52 PM
Just done mine, first upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4 then from 1.4 to 1.6. Quite worrying the first time but went smoothly after an initial battle with the firewall. Also got the Lumix 20mm upgraded. It will be interesting to see whether there is any noticeable difference.

Upgraded Olympus viewer (which I never use) while I was at it.

chr1st0
2nd April 2013, 07:34 PM
I'm finding this all a little confusing. I've had my E-M5 for just over a week and am still exploring and getting to know it. Following reading this thread I thought I'd go to the Olympus site to see about downloading. Navigating through the site I came to firmware and the page I got only listed 1.1 & 1.2. My camera lists in the firmware Body 1.2 and lens 1.0. Can anyone explain this to me or point me in the direction of an article to read please.

PeterBirder
2nd April 2013, 09:33 PM
I'm finding this all a little confusing. I've had my E-M5 for just over a week and am still exploring and getting to know it. Following reading this thread I thought I'd go to the Olympus site to see about downloading. Navigating through the site I came to firmware and the page I got only listed 1.1 & 1.2. My camera lists in the firmware Body 1.2 and lens 1.0. Can anyone explain this to me or point me in the direction of an article to read please.

The answer to your problem is in StephenL's post #24 above.
Follow his link and it will give you all the info you need. I suggest downloading the Olympus Digital Updater and using this for all future updates and to check for new updates for both cameras and lenses.

Regards.*chr

chr1st0
2nd April 2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks Peter,
I installed the updater from the disc that came with the camera so it sits on my desktop. I guess I'm just a bit anxious not having done this before and thanks again for your timely response
Regards,
Chris

George Dorn
3rd April 2013, 05:57 AM
When updating, be patient! Mine took 6 minutes.

chr1st0
3rd April 2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks for this Colin. Will wait until folk are out the house and so avoid possible interuptions.
Chris

edmund473
3rd April 2013, 08:03 AM
Always wait for the OK to show up on the display screen OMD-M5, before you disconnect." Firmware 1.6." John.

chr1st0
3rd April 2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks John, Really useful to know these little things that can cause problems.
Chris.

Tordan58
3rd April 2013, 08:29 PM
Just updated my E-M5 FW to 1.6

I must say the procedure does not feel so robust. One would have expected the updater to first download a local copy of the firmware to your computer, and then update the camera from that local copy instead of having to rely on an Internet Connection to be up.

Since there is no progresss bar you have no feeling how things are going until the very last moments.

For reference the size of the downloaded image is about 50 MB. Times two if your camera has an early FW and you need to proceed in two steps. The download speed is about 100 kb/s (I guess the server is in Japan) meaning a total time of about twenty minutes to update your camera.

chr1st0
3rd April 2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks for this. My FW is 1.2 so I think I have to update to 1.4 and then 1.6.
I think I'll leave until the weekend when I can be sure of uninterupted time. Also I go on holiday next Tuesday for 1 week, so maybe I'll leave it until I get back - I'd hate to not be able to take my camera with me because I'd not got it right.

Tordan58
3rd April 2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for this. My FW is 1.2 so I think I have to update to 1.4 and then 1.6.

Correct.

I think I'll leave until the weekend when I can be sure of uninterupted time. Also I go on holiday next Tuesday for 1 week, so maybe I'll leave it until I get back - I'd hate to not be able to take my camera with me because I'd not got it right.

Actually it is not as bad as I thought. It looks like the updater first downloads the SW and stores a local copy of the file among the temporary files on your computer. (This is not clear from the instructions).

The way Olympus describes the procedure gives the impression that you will ruin your camera if the download from Internet is interrupted. I doubt that is the case (I am not going to try it though...).

What certainly will turn your camera into a dead piece of metal and plastic is if the programming/flashing procedure is interrupted (from the moment the display shows the "don't stop" symbol and until it shows OK). Should that happen then the camera is only partially programmed, the old working FW has been deleted and the camera has lost the capability of updating itself. The only remedy is Olympus camera workshop. At a price I guess.

chr1st0
3rd April 2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I'm definitely leaving until Iíve been on holiday, can't risk anything going wrong.

StephenL
4th April 2013, 06:43 AM
Tordan, you are correct in your assumptions. The firmware is firstly downloaded to some area on your computer, then installed. However, I for one am not going to try to prove this! I have never had any problems, however some progress status would be comforting!

chr1st0
4th April 2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks to all who have responded to my plea. I have now decided that I'll leave things as they are for my holiday and do the updating on my return.
As a matter of interest does anyone know why the updates are not available on the UK site? Is it that Olympus finds it easier to have the one site available for a worldwide audience rather than lots of local sites?
Chris

Tordan58
4th April 2013, 07:34 PM
I don't know why but there must be some failure in the Olympus internal communication channels or procedures. For instance he Swedish site lists FW1.1 as the latest one...
http://www.olympus.se/site/sv/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_download.html

StephenL
4th April 2013, 07:41 PM
The firmware is written in Head Office in Japan, and as any IT person will tell you, version control is critical so it makes sense to distribute it from just one site.

Why, however, version information (not the same thing as the actual firmware) isn't the same across all countries we can only guess at. My guess is that local staff haven't the resources to do this efficiently.

chr1st0
4th April 2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks Steven, that makes sense.
Chris.

Tordan58
4th April 2013, 08:21 PM
Agree, that's what I meant with "failure".

NickLeon
18th April 2013, 07:41 PM
I have just carried out the two stage update for my two week old E-M5, plus the update for the Panasonic 14-45 that I prefer to use as a 'walkaround'. It took around 10 minutes and went smoothly. Most noticeable difference is to the noise level in use - it sounded like a small vacuum cleaner before, now virtually silent, a most welcome improvement.

Otto
25th April 2013, 12:07 PM
I just checked my OM-D bought brand new from Amazon.co.uk a couple of weeks ago, and it says both body and lens are 1.1. I wonder how long this camera was lying around Amazon's warehouse?! Any advice on whether to attempt an upgrade or leave well alone would be welcome - thanks :)

Richard

jamsa
25th April 2013, 04:35 PM
Check the batch number re the crack on the screen issue, if it's an old one i.e. in that batch then they will replace the screen and update the software whilst they do the other...

Otto
25th April 2013, 06:28 PM
I'm confused now. I just looked at the Olympus UK web site and the latest firmware appears to be 1.2 (http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_download.html). My OM-D's serial number is BEK506xxx which a quick Google suggests is one of those affected so the best route may be to send it in for a fix - or take the matter up with Amazon as I only bought it a fortnight ago direct from them, not via the Marketplace.

mike_j
25th April 2013, 06:43 PM
It does sound as though that is old stock. I bought mine used/demo some months ago and it was later than the recalled range (though it does have the infamous crack now).

The update process isn't anything to be greatly worried about, as other people have said, a file is downloaded to the pc (mac) then transferred to the camera. The important thing is not to interrupt the transfer to the camera.

Otto
25th April 2013, 06:58 PM
Maybe the fact that it's old stock was the reason I got it for £925! I'll call the Oly service dept in the morning and see what they suggest. I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks so would like it sorted by then.

You know how they say bad things come in threes? This is the third after my car getting an intermittent non-starting problem the garage hasn't been able to fix, and me drilling through a central heating pipe yesterday while attempting to fix a loose floorboard :D.

Thanks for the replies :).

Otto
26th April 2013, 11:17 AM
I rang Olympus this morning, they confirmed mine is one of those affected by the screen issue and are sending information about a fix. Meanwhile, I decided to go ahead and update the firmware which went without a hitch and took no more than 15 minutes start-finish so it's now at 1.6.

Ross the fiddler
26th April 2013, 11:28 AM
I rang Olympus this morning, they confirmed mine is one of those affected by the screen issue and are sending information about a fix. Meanwhile, I decided to go ahead and update the firmware which went without a hitch and took no more than 15 minutes start-finish so it's now at 1.6.

I think if there are no cracks appearing in the screen frame then with an accurate fitting jeweller's screw driver, loosen the three screws along the bottom & handtighten them to a gentle tightness & I would think all might be well (perhaps). Well, that's me thinking & not doing. :rolleyes: ;)

Otto
26th April 2013, 11:47 AM
That makes sense Ross so I've just done it - cheers :)

Ross the fiddler
26th April 2013, 12:16 PM
That makes sense Ross so I've just done it - cheers :)

I'm glad to hear (read) that then. *yes I didn't discover this fault until it was too late, so I will wait for a suitable time of the year to have it replaced under warranty as I can drive (about an hour) to our Oly service centre & hopefully the turnaround won't be long. I have not touched the screws in case they refuse the claim, but I think in your case you should have (hopefully) caught it before it becomes a problem (which isn't much to worry about anyhow).

*chr

Otto
26th April 2013, 12:59 PM
Maybe if you arrange it beforehand they'll do it while you wait which would be useful :). Looking at the way it's made and the fact that the screen's quite stiff to move, it doesn't surprise me that such a crack could appear if the screw was done up too tight. I'll just be careful with it! I do wish it was fully articulated like the E-620 though.

Ross the fiddler
26th April 2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe if you arrange it beforehand they'll do it while you wait which would be useful :). Looking at the way it's made and the fact that the screen's quite stiff to move, it doesn't surprise me that such a crack could appear if the screw was done up too tight. I'll just be careful with it! I do wish it was fully articulated like the E-620 though.

I will be trying that & I also wish it was fully articulating display too (like my E30) because I would appreciate it for portrait position from the waist as well, but the tilt screen is less vulnerable & more discreet when you need it though.