PDA

View Full Version : LCD frame crack on the OMD

The Technician
19th February 2013, 08:51 AM
I saw this on the following site

http://www.43rumors.com/

Alpha1
19th February 2013, 08:59 AM
Well, it's interesting that Oly have now owned up to the cracked bezel problem, first reported here many months ago!

Also of more interest is the new firmware update to version 1.6 which has completely passed me by as I am still on v.1.5.

OM USer
19th February 2013, 10:57 AM
Have Olympus UK decided what they will do?
Will they repair the camera under warranty?
Will they new bezel remain crack free or will it happen again in a few months?
I ordered my OM-D on 15 March 2012 from Amazon UK and it shipped on 25th April 2012 so if we only have one years warranty then its time to sort it out.
I don't want to send my camera off in the post and have Olympus then decide I have to pay the repair cost because they won't cover it (and if I did have to pay what would it cost)?

CJJE
19th February 2013, 02:02 PM
The link quoted above gives the serial numbers of the camera bodies affected. Is yours one of these? If they replace the bezel I don't see why the new one should fail as it seems to be a problem with the bezels fitted during a defined period in production.

(Luckily mine is well outside the affected batch.)

snaarman
19th February 2013, 02:50 PM
Hmm. My cracked black one isn't in that serial number range - so it apparently shouldn't have the problem :)

OM USer
19th February 2013, 03:01 PM
Ah..., didn't look at the serial number range (in the link) as I know my camera is affected. Well my serial number starts BEK which is outside the stated range BEH. Still, it doesn't matter what Olympus Japan put out in a press statement. What matters is Olympus UKs official response as they will be the one footing the bill (or not).
It will be nice to here from them in due course, and ideally before the annivesary of the UK ship date.

Zuiko
19th February 2013, 03:40 PM
Ah..., didn't look at the serial number range (in the link) as I know my camera is affected. Well my serial number starts BEK which is outside the stated range BEH. Still, it doesn't matter what Olympus Japan put out in a press statement. What matters is Olympus UKs official response as they will be the one footing the bill (or not).
It will be nice to here from them in due course, and ideally before the annivesary of the UK ship date.

My number starts BEK as well. The digits fall within the affected range, though.

peak4
19th February 2013, 06:38 PM
Hmm. My cracked black one isn't in that serial number range - so it apparently shouldn't have the problem :)

Snap, on both counts :(

Also I'm not entirely clear if the numbers quoted only refer to bodies sold in Japan.
Fortunately anything through Oly UK will benefit from a 2 year warranty. To be fair to Oly Japan, they state that the warranty will be extended there with respect to this particular problem.

I'm more wondering what will happen regarding the loss of paint warranty wise.
Mine's gradually losing it from sharp edges, off the steel hot shoe, in front of Fn2 button, top plate near strap lugs, and off the corners of the EVF housing (just above the O & S of "Olympus").
The camera has always been kept and transported in a padded camera bag.
It has almost always sported the first section of the grip, as I've got large hands, but no signs of missing paint on that at all.

OM USer
19th February 2013, 07:53 PM
Found this elsewhere:

Here is a statement i found on Oly Europe with the European serial numbers:
"02/19/2013
Important Information for OM-D
Olympus has discovered that a very small number of E-M5 cameras might possess a slight crack in the monitor cover. For all customers with a camera in the potentially affected serial number batches listed below, Olympus would like to offer a free check or repair, if required.
The affected range of serial numbers is: BEK501001 – BEK508887 (black) BF4501001 – BF4503865 (silver)
Should your camera be listed in one of the above serial number batches, please call the free-of-charge hotline 00800 67 10 83 00 (tel:00800%2067%2010%2083%2000) to receive support for a free check and repair of your product."

Well, thats me then.

jamsa
19th February 2013, 08:03 PM
I will be calling them tomorrow for sure and getting my camera screen replaced before the Spring I hope....

CJJE
19th February 2013, 08:07 PM
Oh hell,

Mine falls in that range as well - but there's no sign of a crack in the bezel yet! Wonder how long I'll be without the camera while it's checked/repaired??

peak4
19th February 2013, 08:11 PM
Oh hell,

Mine falls in that range as well - but there's no sign of a crack in the bezel yet! Wonder how long I'll be without the camera while it's checked/repaired??

Mine too, which does show a minor crack. From past experience when cameras enjoy a holiday in Portugal, it normally takes about 3 weeks.
Hopefully in my case, that will be long enough for a respray in the bodyshop too. :D

p.s. My Japanese is even worse than Google's, but my understanding is that this pretty minor crack won't affect the dust or water resistance

"This time, as part of the digital SLR camera E-M5, fine cracks (cracks, cracking), we have found that can occur.
Although there is no defect in the safety or functional aspects, including in connection with this matter, the dust-proof and drip-proof, in order to be used with confidence, to customers with the product, I would like to respond as follows: , I apologize and I would like to guide you."

mike_j
19th February 2013, 08:14 PM
Mine is outside the range at BEK 510986 but has the crack so I will contact them anyway. That's an odd looking phone number though - where is it?

peak4
19th February 2013, 08:16 PM
Mine is outside the range at BEK 510986 but has the crack so I will contact them anyway. That's an odd looking phone number though - where is it?

Freephone to Germany I think

snaarman
19th February 2013, 08:31 PM
Ooh. My number's come up. What do I win?

Think I will wait to see what other folks get offered. I can't afford to do without it at present.

peak4
19th February 2013, 08:51 PM
Think I will wait to see what other folks get offered. I can't afford to do without it at present.

Me too, off on my hols shortly, and it's not really affecting anything.

Attic
20th February 2013, 12:27 PM
Just reported mine on the support no and they are sending out packaging. Starting to crack on the centre screw. I said I needed to get it done before the warranty runs out and she said they come with two years not one.

Bikie John
20th February 2013, 02:16 PM
Mine has the crack but I'm not too keen to send it in for repair. As long as it doesn't cause problems longer-term I'm not too worried, but if reports start to come in about the weatherproofing being compromised, or it putting strain on the LCD, or whatever, I will want it fixed. And since it is a manufacturing fault rather than wear+tear or user error I would feel aggrieved to have to pay for it even if the warranty period has expired by then.

I wonder - could Olympus alow us to register that we have one with the crack, then if problems start to happen later we can get it repaired still under warranty? It could be in their interests to do this - after all it could save them having to repair thousands sent in by people who want it done "just to be on the safe side".

Ciao ... John

mike_j
20th February 2013, 03:02 PM
Well I phoned them and they said that with the number BK 510986 "the problem is that the camera should not be affected". I replied "No, the problem is that it IS affected". Anyway they gave me a UK number to ring.

I'm reluctant to send it off but like John I'm concerned about any long term effect.

johnh
20th February 2013, 03:08 PM
I have just found this on the Olympus website.....

http://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/c/cameras_support/repair_service/service_announcements/index.jsp

Frank N Furter
21st February 2013, 12:49 PM
Just reported mine on the support no and they are sending out packaging..

Just reported mine and they say I need to return it at my own expense! Not impressed. Also a 2 to 3 week turn round. However they did say that they would check out the black coating wearing away on the exposed edges at the same time.

2-3 weeks :(

Perhaps they should have had a drop in repair booth at Focus!

For info...apparently if you don't have your receipt then the repair will be chargeable. Also suspect my screen protector will need replacing :(

JonSchick
21st February 2013, 03:58 PM
My camera is in the affected range and does have the crack.

I'm less than impressed that I have to pay for the P&P for what is a manufacturing defect - not my experience recently with FujiFilm UK, who when they were aware of a defect on one of their cameras (a) emailed customers who had registered their cameras online and (b) sent out packing materials and a postage paid return envelope. Oh, and a sensor replacement was done in 2 days and the camera returned within 3.

Hmmm....

Attic
23rd February 2013, 10:57 AM
My camera is in the affected range and does have the crack.

I'm less than impressed that I have to pay for the P&P for what is a manufacturing defect - not my experience recently with FujiFilm UK, who when they were aware of a defect on one of their cameras (a) emailed customers who had registered their cameras online and (b) sent out packing materials and a postage paid return envelope. Oh, and a sensor replacement was done in 2 days and the camera returned within 3.

Hmmm....
I phoned the help desk number and told them and they have sent out packaging and had it picked up by dhl from my door. Maybe using that normal helpdesk/support number is the way to go. 0800 111 4888 for anyone that may need it.

Frank N Furter
23rd February 2013, 11:10 AM
Mmmn, that's the number I called... I'll give them another call and hopefully they will change their minds and send out the packaging.....

wellyboot
23rd February 2013, 11:42 AM
Oh Poo!! I was checking my OMD every so often with no problem so had decided mine was OK. Having seen the serial numbers of the affected bodies, and realised that mine was in the range, I checked again, and found that I have the dreaded crack!
Hearing that I may have to pay to send it to Portugal, makes me think Olympus are shirking their responsibilities, which certainly isn't a good advert for them, and almost has me wishing I'd not gone down the Olympus route.:(
Anyone think that once the initial panic has died down, then the repair turn around may be quicker?
Although, having said that, with birds, insects, and any fauna and flora for that matter being my main interest maybe now is a better time to send it off, before Spring is upon us in earnest?
As you can tell, I have officially turned into a "Grumpy Old Woman!"

freedom124
23rd February 2013, 02:10 PM
Methinks the E5 is looking a more attractive investment*chr

David M
23rd February 2013, 04:03 PM
So are Olympus saying the crack won't affect weather/dust sealing?

jamsa
23rd February 2013, 04:28 PM
Oh Poo!! I was checking my OMD every so often with no problem so had decided mine was OK. Having seen the serial numbers of the affected bodies, and realised that mine was in the range, I checked again, and found that I have the dreaded crack!
Hearing that I may have to pay to send it to Portugal, makes me think Olympus are shirking their responsibilities, which certainly isn't a good advert for them, and almost has me wishing I'd not gone down the Olympus route.:(
Anyone think that once the initial panic has died down, then the repair turn around may be quicker?
Although, having said that, with birds, insects, and any fauna and flora for that matter being my main interest maybe now is a better time to send it off, before Spring is upon us in earnest?
As you can tell, I have officially turned into a "Grumpy Old Woman!"

You DON'T have to send it to portugal if you are in the UK... it goes to Nottingham....

peak4
23rd February 2013, 05:38 PM
You DON'T have to send it to portugal if you are in the UK... it goes to Nottingham....

You're absolutely correct, to a DHL office just north of the centre, who then send it on to Portugal on your behalf. They seem quite pleasant and helpful there if you want to drop it in yourself, or if not it's only UK postage you're paying.

wellyboot
23rd February 2013, 06:56 PM
You're absolutely correct, to a DHL office just north of the centre, who then send it on to Portugal on your behalf. They seem quite pleasant and helpful there if you want to drop it in yourself, or if not it's only UK postage you're paying.

But quite honestly, if this is a known manufacturing fault, and whilst the camera is under warranty, I would have thought that postage should be paid by Olympus? Or am I alone in thinking that!:confused:

peak4
23rd February 2013, 07:34 PM
But quite honestly, if this is a known manufacturing fault, and whilst the camera is under warranty, I would have thought that postage should be paid by Olympus? Or am I alone in thinking that!:confused:

According to post 23, they will do so if asked.

In my case I'll probably leave it until later on in the warranty period. I've sent stuff in before and had faults cured that I didn't know existed; even to the extent of a full shutter replacement on the E-3, when I returned it due to severely corroded hot shoe contacts.
With that in mind, it seems a sensible move to get Olympus to check the camera out towards the end of the second year after purchase.

I'm a bit brassed off about the paint rubbing off so soon though.

wellyboot
24th February 2013, 10:32 AM
According to post 23, they will do so if asked.

In my case I'll probably leave it until later on in the warranty period. I've sent stuff in before and had faults cured that I didn't know existed; even to the extent of a full shutter replacement on the E-3, when I returned it due to severely corroded hot shoe contacts.
With that in mind, it seems a sensible move to get Olympus to check the camera out towards the end of the second year after purchase.

I'm a bit brassed off about the paint rubbing off so soon though.

Thank you! I will definitely ask then, although like you I am coming round to the idea of waiting a while, in the hope of a quicker turn around once the initial rush has worn off!!
I would also be annoyed about the paint rubbing off too. Fingers crossed that there are no more problems for any of us!

swing
24th February 2013, 10:47 AM
What's not so clear to me is what one should do if your camera is in the range, but has no crack. I don't want to send it off for 'a check' for it to develop the fault later on, or will Olympus be replacing the part in all cases?

JonSchick
24th February 2013, 10:53 AM
Although I'm irritated at having to pay the P&P, I'm sending it now: I'd prefer to have the camera back by the time the weather stops minging, and my warrantee runs out in May.

StephenL
24th February 2013, 11:01 AM
my warrantee runs out in May.

2 year warranty, remember!

Frank N Furter
25th February 2013, 09:50 AM
Quick update.... After leaving a message over the weekend, Olympus UK called me back this morning. Apparently the they will not send out packaging and pay the return shipping except to dealers and people who have a recurring issue.

Not impressed as it appears from the posts above that they clearly do, and secondly it's a manufacturing defect.

I also explained that having bought mine from Jacobs, taking it back to the dealer was not an option.... no joy.... :(

Ah well, I hope others have more success than me.... Guess it's now just a case of which three weeks can I be without it ??!!??

wellyboot
25th February 2013, 07:16 PM
Well I phoned the number given on the Olympus page, and they told me to phone Olympus UK. I did, and the phone was answered straight away by a lovely gentleman, who said they would send out packaging today, and once packaged, if I phoned before noon they would have someone collect it that same day. And the best news of all, is that it is all free!
I was all ready to do battle after Stephen's experience, but it was all quite painless.
So at the moment it's a :tup for Olympus!!

Invicta
25th February 2013, 07:23 PM
Well I phoned the number given on the Olympus page, and they told me to phone Olympus UK. I did, and the phone was answered straight away by a lovely gentleman, who said they would send out packaging today, and once packaged, if I phoned before noon they would have someone collect it that same day. And the best news of all, is that it is all free!
I was all ready to do battle after Stephen's experience, but it was all quite painless.
So at the moment it's a :tup for Olympus!!

That's great news. Would you be able to confirm which UK phone number you called please?

Frank N Furter
25th February 2013, 07:59 PM
Darn it... I got the same lady both times :mad:. Feeling rather peeved off now...

I called the UK number, 0800 111 4888 they called me back from 01702 616333.

wellyboot
26th February 2013, 10:57 AM
That's great news. Would you be able to confirm which UK phone number you called please?

The number I phoned was: 0800 111 4 888
Hope that helps!

CJJE
26th February 2013, 12:00 PM
Curiouser and curiouser...

It seems Olympus are still evolving their procedures for this problem. A close examination of my camera shows there is indeed a very fine hairline crack by the central screw on the bezel (as if it was overtightened on manufacture).

So I've just phoned the Olympus Europe number given on their recall webpage (00800 76 10 83 00) only to be told that Olympus UK were now dealing with this recall and I should phone them on 0800 111 4 888.

I did this to be told by a lady that I should send the camera in to them for repair. She was about to give me the address to send it to when I interrupted and said I thought they were to send me some protective packaging for its return. She went away to check saying she wasn't sure of the answer to this, then came back and said that exceptionally packaging would be sent to me in the next day or so and that I should then arrange for its collection!

So it seems you may have to push for the free collection service as they'd rather you posted it back to them yourself!

CJJE
26th February 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm assuming that when you return the body, you remove the strap, handgrip and memory card. But do you also remove the battery and hotshoe cover?

StephenL
26th February 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm assuming that when you return the body, you remove the strap, handgrip and memory card. But do you also remove the battery and hotshoe cover?

I would! You never know, you might get another hotshoe cover! But probably not another battery :(

GRAHAMJ
26th February 2013, 12:40 PM
I have just had my EM5 returned for the main control knob cover coming off. When it went away it had a protective cover on the screen now it has not. Checked the serial number and it falls within the range. Olympus have changed the screen even though mine did not have a crack! It was not on the service work sheet, just the repair of the knob, serviced, cleaned and checked.
It did go off to Portrugal via Nottingham and was returned in about 11 days by DHL.

Graham

Invicta
1st March 2013, 04:18 PM
The number I phoned was: 0800 111 4 888
Hope that helps!

Many thanks, just managed to find some spare time to phone Oly only to get we close at 4 pm recorded message. LOL will try again on Monday.

CJJE
1st March 2013, 05:28 PM
DPD tried to deliver my camera return packing box to me yesterday but I was out. They tried again this morning when I was in, and I saw the instructions said to remove all accessories that weren't faulty including the memory card and battery. So after reassuring the wife that the box I'd just received was NOT a new purchase I packed the E-M5 away and phoned customer services to arrange for it to be picked up. They answered promptly, and said they would try to get a courier back to me this afternoon. Sure enough the same delivery guy returned and I'm now E-M5-less until it returns in its estimated 21 days. :-(

Attic
2nd March 2013, 10:45 PM
DPD tried to deliver my camera return packing box to me yesterday but I was out. They tried again this morning when I was in, and I saw the instructions said to remove all accessories that weren't faulty including the memory card and battery. So after reassuring the wife that the box I'd just received was NOT a new purchase I packed the E-M5 away and phoned customer services to arrange for it to be picked up. They answered promptly, and said they would try to get a courier back to me this afternoon. Sure enough the same delivery guy returned and I'm now E-M5-less until it returns in its estimated 21 days. :-(
I got mine back on Friday and it went off the Thursday before so 8 day turnaround. Hope yours will be returned as speedy as mine was.

CJJE
3rd March 2013, 12:32 PM
Here's hoping!!! (But perhaps you were just at the head of the queue!!)

wellyboot
3rd March 2013, 01:57 PM
DHL came to pick up my OMD on Thursday, but the driver refused to take it!
Apparently there was a DHL form that I needed to fill out, and he wasn't prepared to wait while I filled it out. So he left me the form and said he would try and book me in for Friday. Not a very pleasant chap.
So I looked at the form, which required company VAT number, account number and various other things which of course applied to Olympus.
I called Olympus UK, but they couldn't provide me with the information, so said they would phone DHL.
They called me back to say that the driver should have filled it in as he had all the info, and that they were sending him back later that day. Great!
Anyway he turned up about 5pm, less than happy, and asked if I'd filled the form in. He was even less happy when I told him that Olympus had told me he would fill it in.
He then asked me the VAT number, which of course I didn't know, put my name as the customers name, which I am not, because as far as DHL goes, Olympus is their customer.
It then transpired that he had none of the info to fill in the form, so told me that he would be "back tomorrow guaranteed", because the form didn't have all the info on. He then picked up the packed camera to put it in the DHL bag (I had been told by Olympus that the driver had to put it in the bag!), and then dropped it on the floor to stick on the DHL label!!
I asked him to be careful as the camera was worth 1000, but he just shrugged. I do wonder if he would have treated me like that if I had been an able bodied man instead of a disabled woman?
Anyway he didn't bring it back on Friday, so I'm hoping it is in Portugal now.
All in all though, a terrible experience with DHL, and to be honest I now wish I had lived with the crack, because with the way the parcel was treated from the word go, it wouldn't surprise me if there was more than a crack at fault by the time it got to Portugal.
If the turn round is as quick as Alby though, I may get it back by Friday, but fingers crossed it still works, isn't in pieces, and is delivered by a nicer driver!

Invicta
4th March 2013, 01:37 PM
Many thanks, just managed to find some spare time to phone Oly only to get we close at 4 pm recorded message. LOL will try again on Monday.

Phoned today and all is well, packaging on its way out to me :)

Attic
4th March 2013, 03:50 PM
Apparently there was a DHL form that I needed to fill out, and he wasn't prepared to wait while I filled it out. So he left me the form and said he would try and book me in for Friday. Not a very pleasant chap.
So I looked at the form, which required company VAT number, account number and various other things which of course applied to Olympus.
I called Olympus UK, but they couldn't provide me with the information, so said they would phone DHL.
They called me back to say that the driver should have filled it in as he had all the info, and that they were sending him back later that day. Great!
Anyway he turned up about 5pm, less than happy, and asked if I'd filled the form in. He was even less happy when I told him that Olympus had told me he would fill it in.
He then asked me the VAT number, which of course I didn't know, put my name as the customers name, which I am not, because as far as DHL goes, Olympus is their customer.
It then transpired that he had none of the info to fill in the form, so told me that he would be "back tomorrow guaranteed", because the form didn't have all the info on. He then picked up the packed camera to put it in the DHL bag (I had been told by Olympus that the driver had to put it in the bag!), and then dropped it on the floor to stick on the DHL label!!
I asked him to be careful as the camera was worth £1000, but he just shrugged. I do wonder if he would have treated me like that if I had been an able bodied man instead of a disabled woman?
All in all though, a terrible experience with DHL, and to be honest I now wish I had lived with the crack, because with the way the parcel was treated from the word go, it wouldn't surprise me if there was more than a crack at fault by the time it got to Portugal.
If the turn round is as quick as Alby though, I may get it back by Friday, but fingers crossed it still works, isn't in pieces, and is delivered by a nicer driver!
Blimey what a difference to the nice chap that picked my camera up and returned it.

Frank N Furter
4th March 2013, 04:13 PM
I've now packed mine up and sent it myself by Special Delivery... I've guess I could have called Oly a third time to request a pick up... but knowing my luck I'd get the same lady and the same negative response...

....skulks off to take some happy pills....... *crazy

wellyboot
6th March 2013, 05:05 PM
Just to let you all know that my OMD, which as you remember was picked up at 5pm on Thursday, arrived back with me at 4:30pm this afternoon.
It really is an amazingly quick turn around, given that we had a weekend in between.
Looking at the tracking info, it got to Portugal at about 11:30am on Friday, and left Portugal at about 3:30pm yesterday afternoon, so all I can say is wonderful service by Olympus. Apart from the DHL blip on Thursday, I honestly can't fault Olympus at all!
I hope everyone else has the same level of service!

Invicta
6th March 2013, 05:26 PM
Just to let you all know that my OMD, which as you remember was picked up at 5pm on Thursday, arrived back with me at 4:30pm this afternoon.
It really is an amazingly quick turn around, given that we had a weekend in between.
Looking at the tracking info, it got to Portugal at about 11:30am on Friday, and left Portugal at about 3:30pm yesterday afternoon, so all I can say is wonderful service by Olympus. Apart from the DHL blip on Thursday, I honestly can't fault Olympus at all!
I hope everyone else has the same level of service!

Nice to see such a quick turnaround. :)

My box arrived today as promised, phoned up Olympus and the camera is due to be picked up tomorrow. Just in case the courier has no label what address did your courier use? Was it the Olympus Hub Unit 4 ..... Notthingham address?

If so I'll print a label out ready just in case ;-)

wellyboot
6th March 2013, 08:39 PM
Nice to see such a quick turnaround. :)

My box arrived today as promised, phoned up Olympus and the camera is due to be picked up tomorrow. Just in case the courier has no label what address did your courier use? Was it the Olympus Hub Unit 4 ..... Notthingham address?

If so I'll print a label out ready just in case ;-)

Well my box came with a DHL bag, already addressed to the repair place in Portugal, which I can't remember. This is why there was all the kerfuffle about the DHL form, as it was going to Europe.
Sorry, not much help am I?

Zuiko
6th March 2013, 08:57 PM
I asked him to be careful as the camera was worth 1000, but he just shrugged. I do wonder if he would have treated me like that if I had been an able bodied man instead of a disabled woman?

That's appalling service! I think I would have refused to let him take the camera, complain about him and insist on a different driver. :mad:

peak4
6th March 2013, 09:24 PM
That's appalling service! I think I would have refused to let him take the camera, complain about him and insist on a different driver. :mad:

I must admit that my Olympus/DHL deliveries have gone pretty smoothly on the whole; except that twice I've had parcels left outside by the backdoor, under the Yamaha in the rain. Once a replacement rucksack, the other a repaired lens; ho hum, DHL must have known they're advertised as drip proof.:D

Someone on my local Sheffield forum asked about how to collect packages from DHL herself.
My reply follows;

"Sorry folks, may not be quite that easy.

I received a card saying to call in and collect the following day (last Thursday), but was unable to do so as I was at work.
No problem to me as I was off Friday, so I could call in and collect then; seemed a better idea than arranging for a re-delivery.
Anyway, got home from work Thursday evening and found a second card, also saying call in tomorrow and collect. Obviously they had arranged a re-delivery themselves.:rolleyes:
Subsequently I'd been asked to do a day's overtime for a hundred quid or so, but had to decline due to needing to collect this parcel in time for Christmas.

Not wanting to be caught out by a third card I checked their tracking system, which claimed that the parcel was at the depot awaiting collection. :)

Friday morning I arrived at DHL & joined a small queue. The lady in front of me presented her card, only to be told that the parcel was out on the wagon for a second attempt; I don't think she was very pleased.
The lady behind the counter was a credit to her employer, the way she dealt with it, even calling the driver to see what time he was planning on doing that drop.
Her only option was to drive back to Sheffield and sit in, waiting for the expected delivery @ 13.00

My turn next, I presented two identical cards, smiled and said "You'd have caught me out like that too, If I'd been able to get in yesterday, with just the first card"
She politely smiled back, checked the system and said my parcel was out on the delivery wagon again for a third attempt. :mad:

It seems that some retailers specify 3 attempts at the customers end, but the delivery driver isn't told; hence he puts the card through the door in good faith.:(

I did point out that it was a very expensive delivery for 13 parcel, having just driven a long way in a Landrover and turned down a days overtime.
Profuse apologies offered; we certainly weren't the first ones that day.

It turned out that the previous lady had almost the same postcode, so I headed for home to await the nominal 13.00 delivery, which eventually arrived at 14.45 another day wasted due to corporate incompetence.
My neighbour did see the first attempt, so offered to take the parcel in and sign for it on my behalf; it seems the vendor had ticked the consignee's signature only box somewhere along the line, so the offer was declined.

The chap in the next queue must have been wise to this as he phoned in prior to setting off. He was previously assured the parcel was in the depot awaiting his arrival by someone who had it in their hand, but no signs of the parcel could be found anywhere when he arrived.
When I left, he was being advised to take a seat whilst they tried to work out which wagon it had been re-sent out on. I don't think he was very pleased either, as he'd driven 2 1/2 hours down from Newcastle as it was needed urgently. He'd actually been at home when the previous delivery had been attempted.
The person in the queue behind him was standing there with 2 cards!!

I normally refuse to deal with any company which can't offer Royal Mail or Parcelforce. I'll be looking harder at the delivery options next time.

Don't even start me on HDNL."

Invicta
6th March 2013, 11:31 PM
Well my box came with a DHL bag, already addressed to the repair place in Portugal, which I can't remember. This is why there was all the kerfuffle about the DHL form, as it was going to Europe.
Sorry, not much help am I?

Thanks for the update, no worries about the address. My bag is blank so lets see what happens when the courier arrives (it is not DHL fortunately).

OM USer
7th March 2013, 10:41 AM
Do you pack the camera in the original box it came in - and if so do you get the box back? I keep all the boxes for all my camera stuff.

Pierre L
7th March 2013, 10:57 AM
Do you pack the camera in the original box it came in - and if so do you get the box back? I keep all the boxes for all my camera stuff.
I certainly wouldn't pack the camera in its original box. I would also remove the battery and memory card. Any accessories supplied to what must be an assembly-line type of process is liable to loss or damage.
My E-M5 is within range as far as the serial numbers go, but any crack is very much hairline so I am waiting before I consider sending it.

Invicta
7th March 2013, 12:29 PM

For this specific defect Olympus will send you a box in which to put the camera body and a return postal bag.

Just call the Olympus help line and they will send you out a box. Once you have packed the camera just all Olympus again and they will arrange a courier to collect it from you.

Frank N Furter
7th March 2013, 12:40 PM
For this specific defect Olympus will send you a box in which to put the camera body and a return postal bag.

Just call the Olympus help line and they will send you out a box. Once you have packed the camera just all Olympus again and they will arrange a courier to collect it from you.

Unless you get the same person I did (twice)....... then no box... :(

Invicta
7th March 2013, 01:58 PM
LOL, the courier was meant to collect my camera today but they just delivered another box. I have two boxes now!

Anybody want a box :rolleyes:

I am sure it will get sorted sometime.

jamsa
7th March 2013, 07:36 PM
So glad they are doing the delivery of the boxes but they should use the same offer for everyone ..I have to post my one off when i find some packagingfor it...

jamsa
7th March 2013, 07:37 PM
LOL, the courier was meant to collect my camera today but they just delivered another box. I have two boxes now!

Anybody want a box :rolleyes:

I am sure it will get sorted sometime.

I will take the box off you ?
thanks

CJJE
14th March 2013, 03:44 PM
My E-M5 returned from its trip to Portugal today, with a nice new bezel, and my antiglare LCD protector still in place. But bewilderingly the firmware has been returned to v1.5 from the v1.6 I had installed! At least all my custom settings seem to have been retained though.

The turnaround is faster than predicted -- it was collected on the 1st of March by DPD and returned on the 14th by DHL.

TonD
15th March 2013, 09:56 AM
Hey guys,

I just registered here (see my introduction topic if you're interested), mostly (not only of course) to post in this topic, as it seems the best place for info regarding this issue.

My -one month old- OM-D suffers from this crack as well. It's tiny, unlikely to cause any problems, but not really happy about a 1300 euro camera having a crack from the start.

Unfortunately, my camera is too new and according to Olympus support page shouldn't be affected. But it is. Any of you guys had any luck getting this frame replaced while having a serial out of range?

Thanks for any info!

StephenL
15th March 2013, 10:19 AM
Hi and welcome!

Sorry to read about your cracked surround. At one month old I would return it to the dealer and demand a replacement. I presume the Consumer Protection laws in the Netherlands are similar to those in the UK?

OM USer
15th March 2013, 11:33 AM
Sounds like the sale of goods act (or your equivalent) should apply and return it to the supplier and not Olympus.

Frank N Furter
15th March 2013, 05:29 PM
Got mine back today... crack is fixed *yes ...screen protector still in place *yes ... BUT .. all my settings were wiped :( and more importantly they didn't sort out the top of the camera where the black coating is wearing off :mad: ... no explaination of why not, no phone call... nothing... and Oly UK service promised me it would be sorted.... bloomin' annoyed now!

TonD
16th March 2013, 02:19 AM
Stephen, does your camera's serial fall within the range specified by Oly?

Frank N Furter
16th March 2013, 07:31 AM
Stephen, does your camera's serial fall within the range specified by Oly?

Yes it does. I pre-ordered at Focus last year.... so it's one of the early ones.

JonSchick
16th March 2013, 12:46 PM
Well mine is at the local DHL service point after failed delivery. Supposed to be open today but it's not. Grrr...

Zuiko
16th March 2013, 12:53 PM
Well mine is at the local DHL service point after failed delivery. Supposed to be open today but it's not. Grrr...

DHL? Oh, good luck with that! :D

Invicta
22nd March 2013, 12:23 PM
My OMD EM-5 has been returned today. :)

Looks like the repair is to replace the plastic cover and reuse original OLED panel as mine came back with the screen protector still in place and exactly as I put it on (very slightly offline).

Body had been updated to frimware 1.6 as well.

Time now to try out my new lens purchases from Focus on Imaging show.

CJJE
22nd March 2013, 02:22 PM
My OMD EM-5 has been returned today. :)

Looks like the repair is to replace the plastic cover and reuse original OLED panel as mine came back with the screen protector still in place and exactly as I put it on (very slightly offline).

Body had been updated to frimware 1.6 as well.

Time now to try out my new lens purchases from Focus on Imaging show.

Mine also had just the bezel replaced, and my original screen protector left in place (at least it saved me having to get another one!) but mine came back as firmware v1.5 and I'm sure I had updated it to v1.6 before I sent it off!

Weldingblues
24th March 2013, 02:04 PM
I sent mine on the 13th and it arrived back on the 22nd, so considering that its been to Portugal and back that quite a good service.

Mine came back with version 1.6 installed as well.

RJM
25th March 2013, 08:45 AM
Useful information. Thanks.

Mine is never in a case. It's a real working tool. The only protection I have is a cover over the LCD screen.

I don't think it's got any cracks but paint and a dent. The dent on the rear edge was caused before I'd even used it. I put the strap on and went out. Got the camera on the back seat and as I swung it over my shoulder it flew of the strap on the one side (I hadn't secured it properly) and landed on the road!

It worked okay but what a memorable start.

I never use a case as I just like to swing it to my front and snap rather than taking off a cover.

I will check shortly for this crack mentioned.

Jetset95
25th March 2013, 03:15 PM
It's on its way to Nottingham. Fingers crossed its back in one piece.

James

Jetset95
3rd April 2013, 05:35 PM
And back again, fixed, cleaned, all in one piece, all within two weeks and that's over Easter. Wow! Great service thanks Olympus.

johnh
3rd April 2013, 06:34 PM
I've had the same good service.Sent it just for the cracked bezel but on the invoice they had listed a software fault as found and repaired.The only clue I have as to the fault was a very intermittent screen blackout,sorted by the old IT trick of turning the camera off and on again.

jamsa
6th April 2013, 04:06 PM
OK finally decided I could be without my OMD for a week or so, got it posted off today so fingers crossed I get the same quick turnaround and service others have described..:)

Greytop
10th August 2013, 08:46 AM
Well it now appears mine has this infamous crack :(
Has anyone had theirs repaired recently and if so what was the turn around time?
I might just wait till after our summer holidays, although preversly they happen to be in Portugal :D

Greytop
26th September 2013, 10:08 PM
An update, my E-M5 arrived back from Portugal today fully repaired and looking like new :D
I must admit to being very impressed by Olympus service and a double quick turn around.
Credit where credit is due, well done Olympus *chr

Zuiko
26th September 2013, 11:32 PM
I must admit I keep forgetting about the crack, don't really want to send the camera off for something so minor. If I have another reason to send it for repair at any point I may have the crack done then.

Bet this won't happen on the E-M1. :D

peak4
27th September 2013, 12:10 AM
I must admit I keep forgetting about the crack, don't really want to send the camera off for something so minor. If I have another reason to send it for repair at any point I may have the crack done then.

Bet this won't happen on the E-M1. :D

John, personally I'd check out when you bought it and send it in for the bezel a short time before the warranty expires.
That way I'm sure it will get the once over at the service centre and anything necessary replaced whilst still under guarantee.

Zuiko
27th September 2013, 12:11 AM
John, personally I'd check out when you bought it and send it in for the bezel a short time before the warranty expires.
That way I'm sure it will get the once over at the service centre and anything necessary replaced whilst still under guarantee.

Thanks Bill, that's good advice. :)

Ricoh
12th April 2014, 10:49 PM
Old thread, new member...
I had the bezel on my EM5 replaced recently. The serial number wasn't within range but the camera was within warranty, so it didn't cost me a penny. That was about 3 weeks ago, but on close inspection I've convinced myself that I can see distortion to the bezel around the middle fastener. Looks like it might happen again, has anyone had this 'secondary' effect happen for real?