PDA

View Full Version : Adobe beta camera profiles - wanted, idiots guide!

Real Ramona
1st August 2008, 06:01 PM
Well I have just bought Lightroom 2 and consider it to be a very good bit of kit. I am however puzzled by the new camera profiles facility. So I have downloaded and (I think) installed correctly.
So now when I open a DNG file in Lightroom I can go into the Camera Calibration section and select Adobe Standard Beta 1 instead of ACR 2.4 or 4.4.
Is that it? Does it apply the correct setting for my E1 automajically?
If I toggle between that and ACR I can see a difference, but would like to know if its applying the correct profile.
Thanks
/j

OlyPaul
2nd August 2008, 08:56 AM
Yes it is applying a generic profile for your camera , if you had watched when installing you would have noticed the different named camera profiles being installed. It knows which camera profile to apply from the metadata off the file when opened in ACR and you select Adobe Standard Beta.
From what I can see the Oly profiles mainly effects the red orange yellow spectrum and the blue spectrum and having hardly any effect on the greens, to be honest I always thought Oly raws looked a little to warm and flurecent in ACR but now look a little more like the oly colours and now you have a choice just using a click to see which one suits a particular image best.

If you have also downloaded the DNG profiler you can make and install your own profiles as well. :)

Invicta
2nd August 2008, 12:35 PM
Not sure how many Oly profiles are available at the moment but the concept is that each camera model will have a set of profiles that are intended to emulate the camera's picture modes. I.e. you can get the rendered raw file to look like the processed jpegs in camera. It will also provide another means to tweak things for your own preferences.

Real Ramona
2nd August 2008, 04:45 PM
Excellent, thanks.

froeng
3rd August 2008, 07:55 PM
Hi,

you might want to have a read of this article...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/dng-profiles.shtml

Regards

Frank