PDA

View Full Version : potraits

Napper
1st August 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi these are my first serious attempts at portrait shots. Taken using my e510 and small 2 lamp lighting rig. Would appreciate your feed back Thanks

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/norwich_napper/Olympus%20E-510%20photos/_6270164web.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/norwich_napper/Olympus%20E-510%20photos/_6270216crop-1.jpg

OlyPaul
1st August 2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Napper these are not bad for a first attempt and proberly better than my first ones:)

Ok on with the comments, number one looks like it needs a little more main light as the face in underexposed and the eyes are going into shadow, also the colour balence looks decidly yellow on my monitor. Now before anyone else say that that the background is a perfect white...well yes it is ,perfect in fact reading 255 in all three channels and I stongly suspect that the background has been replaced as has the second one as well. :)

Number two is a fun image with the colour balence looking a little more natural if a little red in the skin tone and again could do with just a tad more exposure on the face.

Napper as a cheat for now you can lift the face exposure by using the Elyptical tool in Elements to select the face, set a feather of 50 px for a full size image (10px for web) then select a levels adjustment layer and adjust just the face exposure.

Hope you do not mind me using your image as a example of what I mean, I also adjusted the colour balence as best I could given the low res file. I also think that a square crop would suit better as the sitter is facing the camera full on... just a suggestion. :)

By the way your image is in the Adobe colour space which will result in a desaturation on thev web and would be better converted to srgb for posting.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/101041624.jpg

Napper
1st August 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks Paul for your comments I have adjusted both using the levels layer as you suggested what do you think. And yes square is much better (I could'nt be bothered to tamper with the logo)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/norwich_napper/Olympus%20E-510%20photos/_6270164webcrop.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/norwich_napper/Olympus%20E-510%20photos/_6270216croplighter.jpg

Thanks Dave

OlyPaul
1st August 2008, 03:48 PM
Much better Dave, glad you did not mind me suggesting it.:)

The Judge
1st August 2008, 04:37 PM
Mr Napper,

Quite a credible effort for your first shots but we are a little way off perfection. Strangely enough I thought your first pic had a nicer skin tone than Paul's reworked version. However he is right to suggest what he did about the lighting levels. Colour wise it seems to be slightly jaded and lacking punch so perhaps room for improvement here.

Number 2 is of more concern particularly with the subjects face. There appears to be a yellow tinge on one side of his face perhaps a reflection from the ball? Either way it looks unnatural and not for public consumption.

I do wonder why for your first portrait shots you have elected to go with lit backgrounds. Perhaps it might be prudent to use natural lighting with pleasing backgrounds to master the basics of portraits.

Anyway it would seem you are on the correct road so do not be put off. I never sent a man down for these type of pictures.

Zuiko
1st August 2008, 08:06 PM
Mr Napper,

Quite a credible effort for your first shots but we are a little way off perfection. Strangely enough I thought your first pic had a nicer skin tone than Paul's reworked version. However he is right to suggest what he did about the lighting levels. Colour wise it seems to be slightly jaded and lacking punch so perhaps room for improvement here.

Number 2 is of more concern particularly with the subjects face. There appears to be a yellow tinge on one side of his face perhaps a reflection from the ball? Either way it looks unnatural and not for public consumption.

I do wonder why for your first portrait shots you have elected to go with lit backgrounds. Perhaps it might be prudent to use natural lighting with pleasing backgrounds to master the basics of portraits.

Anyway it would seem you are on the correct road so do not be put off. I never sent a man down for these type of pictures.

Very interesting and enlightening comments, Judge. You are obviously quite an accomplished portrait photographer yourself and this is one area (of many!) where my own skills are sadly lacking. I would therefore be grateful if you could post some examples of your own work from which I am sure to learn much about the correct techniques for portraiture.

In fact, why not get your gallery on this forum up and running as a showcase for your expertise across a wide range of photographic subjects. The ball's in your court now, "Judge!"

B.P.S Studios
3rd August 2008, 05:52 PM
I wonder can the JUDGE explain the correct procedure for shooting using natural light from a window, including light meter settings, shutter speed,aperture and fill flash.

Also what are the average Light and Aperture settings for shooting Hi-Key shots in a studio setup.