PDA

View Full Version : The E520 performs brilliantly!

dennisg
30th July 2008, 11:46 PM
High All,

Well I just got my E520 body today and when I had the opportunity, I took the settings that I had on my E500 and copied them on the settings on the
E520. I left the sharpness and contrast at the default setting and lowered the noise reduct one notch. I usally shoot flash (FL50) in manual and that gives me more latitude to chose smaller apertures and or faster or slower sync shutter speeds. In addition, I bumped up the flash compensation by a 1/3 stop. I always shoot general pictures in the JPEG setting at the highest pixel rate and at a 1/2.7 compression rate. Last, I changed to the RGB mode for the color setting and did not change the saturation intensity.

Well with all of that said, the pictures are SUPER! Vert sharp, clear and the colors pop off the viewing screen. I have not had an opportunity to down load them to my PC yet but will over the weekend. The lens that I am using is the 14-54 MM F2.8-3.5 and at all focal lengths the pics are great. Of course this is with the flash inside. My next tryout is to do some outside shots tomorrow. THEN it's off to the RAW foramt. If the JPEGS are as good as they look, then the RAW files should be even better. The Shadow-Highlight addition to the E520 really does help on the white-blow-out end of the dynamic range. So that is nice to have since the E500 had a time with the dynamic range.

The camera body is heavier than my E500 and I like a rig with some bulk and guts! My hands also fit comfortably around the camera and all of the controls are well placed and acceptable. The viewing LCD is a nice improvement over the smaller screen and it seems that the brightness-resolution seems to be much better as well. In addition, the build is NOT CHEAP at all. Olympus has a very high quality product and it sure looks it as well.

I an currently using several 1 GIG Extreme II CF card and I plan at a later date puirchase several Extremem III CF cards so that I can take advantage of the higher read-write speed that the E520 offers. I have still not tried is the 3.5 frames per second, but that will be done shortly.

The manual is chock full of information................man a lot of reading just to take a shot! The quick setup documsntation gets you up and running quickly, but since I am an E500 owner, starting up the E520 was almost painless.

Last, everything just seems to pop in the operation of the rig. So without a doubt so far, I am very well pleased with the upgrade from the E500 to the E520. Of course I am keeping the E500 and now I will be able to use my 40-150MM f3.5-4.0 zoom on the E500 while I use the other on the E520. So a lot of equipment for a very reasonable price. The best of all worlds I must say!

So that is it from this side of the pond. I would love to hear your comments as well in your trial and errors using the E520.

Thanks!

Dennis G*chr

theMusicMan
31st July 2008, 05:48 AM
Very informative post Dennis, glad to read you're enjoying your new E-520. Are you going to post any images so we can share your experience :)

dennisg
31st July 2008, 11:37 AM
Yes I will within the next couple of weeks. So just stay tuned.

Thanks!

theMusicMan
31st July 2008, 11:59 AM
Yes I will within the next couple of weeks. So just stay tuned.

Thanks!Will do... you're up early... :)