PDA

View Full Version : 60mm macro

brianvickers
8th February 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm thinking of investing in a telephoto lens.
the 75mm is expensive so I though I'd have a look at the 60mm macro. The reviews look great and the 120mm equivalent might be enough reach for.....but thats not so much greater reach than my 45mm and I have the 12-50 kit which is also macro. So is the 60mm any real benefit?

Maybe I should shell out for the 75mm.

What would you do?

Simon Bee
8th February 2013, 06:16 PM
Brian,

I have both and I can tell you both are STUNNING *yes

If you need macro then the 60mm will be the logical next step, it is also great for portraits however you already have a super lens for that .... the 45mm.

The 75mm will give you greater reach and whilst the 60mm is not slow to focus I do find the 75mm much quicker.

Of course there is quite a difference in price between these lenses and this may be a factor, or not. That said I just came across this ...... http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-75MM-F1.8-(MICRO-4/3)_68226.html

.... I know what I would do ;) LCE are good to deal with and that is a VERY good price.

Regards Simon

brianvickers
8th February 2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks Simon....I'm not into macro in any great way....that LCE deal looks great...cheers!

brianvickers
9th February 2013, 09:26 AM
Despite sending an email last night and phoning this morning the LCE lens has already gone...searching for another now.
Thanks though Simon

pvasc
9th February 2013, 09:41 AM
Try SRS
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/8552/Olympus-M-Zuiko-Digital-ED-60mm-F2-8-Macro-Lens.html

If they have them in stock. They were out a couple of weeks ago when I bought my E-PL5.

Simon Bee
9th February 2013, 08:16 PM
Despite sending an email last night and phoning this morning the LCE lens has already gone...searching for another now.
Thanks though Simon

That's a shame ( for you ) but it's not surprising they didn't have it very long given the asking price. I check LCE site EVERY night ( yes I know I'm sad ) and it was not listed on Thursday so a very fast turn-around indeed.

Anyway, whilst both lenses are stellar, given you do not shot a lot of macro and that you already have the 45mm I do believe the 75mm will be the next logical step for you.

Regards Simon

brianvickers
9th February 2013, 09:35 PM
I think you are right, I did some test shots with a zoom at 45/60/75 to see the difference and I reached the same conclusion.

I'm checking LCE every few hours now!
Thanks for the tip

Simon Bee
10th February 2013, 09:22 PM
I think you are right, I did some test shots with a zoom at 45/60/75 to see the difference and I reached the same conclusion.

I'm checking LCE every few hours now!
Thanks for the tip

You're welcome ;)

brianvickers
15th February 2013, 02:26 PM
I've ordered from SRS...hopefully I'll have it on Monday.