PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 noise and Lightroom 4.3

David Morison
5th February 2013, 04:03 PM
I've noticed for some time that noise in E-M5 ORF images is more difficult to deal with than noise in my Canon 7D. Early this morning I was trying to get some photos of a male Blackcap Warbler in my garden with both the E-M5/75-300mm and the 7D/400mm. The light was flat and pretty low level with the bird in the shade of a tree. At similar ISOs the E-M5 exhibited as much noise as the 7D but it appears to be more granular and wasn't as easy to deal with in LR - the resultant image was inferior noise-wise to the Canon. I have noticed at even higher ISOs (1600 +) the Canon, whilst showing more noise initially actually can be processed to produce a cleaner image. Has anyone else noticed this and could it just be with Lightroom or a factor with other software?

David

Greytop
5th February 2013, 06:51 PM
I would give CaptureOne Pro 7 a go David, I find it deals with E-M5 noise very well.
You'll probably be pleasantly surprised with how it deals with files from your 7D too.

spxxxx
20th March 2013, 08:45 PM
David - I teach image editing - if you want to email me a raw file that you have processed I'll have a look and see if I can get some better settings out of it for you

simon@simonrevill.com